Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 5V PSU for TENS Foot Plate

My FIL managed to spill water on his TENS machine Foot tinger thingy and took out it's 5V wall wart. I was asked if I could sort something out (Which I did by joining s 5V Wall wart of the right voltage and amperage to the originals output cable.

However, while I was working I said "it might not just be the PSU that's gone, it might have fried the internals of the foot plate"....... But I was told it was ok, my BIL had hooked up another PSU and they'd tried it.... Only this one turned out to be 12V.........

Apparently they knew the device was working when they peeled my FIL off the ceiling!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:17:44 -0700, cpvh wrote:

My FIL managed to spill water on his TENS machine Foot tinger thingy and
took out it's 5V wall wart. I was asked if I could sort something out
(Which I did by joining s 5V Wall wart of the right voltage and amperage
to the originals output cable.

However, while I was working I said "it might not just be the PSU that's
gone, it might have fried the internals of the foot plate"....... But I
was told it was ok, my BIL had hooked up another PSU and they'd tried
it.... Only this one turned out to be 12V.........

Apparently they knew the device was working when they peeled my FIL off
the ceiling!

What a ...ummm...re-volting story.....

/coat

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do I remember you prefer replies at the top Brian?

One was regulated at 5V, the other was regulated at 12V. I was surprised by the units behaviour given more volts, I would have thought it would either have just worked, or else it would have been fried (like the first thing I ever over-voltage (my very expensive commodore calculator (rather expensive in around 1975).

If anyone else is still listening, do you know what electronics is likely to be in one of these TENS foot plate thingies?

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 8:14:06 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't think a larger input should result in a larger output surely
supplies are regulated.
Brian

--
----- -