Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1/2" BSP isn't half an inch?!

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 16:46:13 -0000, harry wrote:

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 16:04:29 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 15:46:09 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message news
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:55:07 -0000, Andrew Mawson
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
I just bought a self bleeding valve to fit into a half inch thread.
What
arrived was 3/4". It's sold as 1/2" BSP, and according to this page,
1/2"
BSP is meant to be 3/4". WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...e_thread_sizes

It never ceases to amaze me that tit bits of knowledge that I've swept up
and stored over my considerable years from childhood have never come to
the
attention of the younger generation. We as kids were playing with BSP
threads, Whitworth and BSF nuts and bolts, and even UNC / UNF and
occasionally BSCy and NPT . But in those days we did real things, schools
had workshops with real machines, and we made real objects. Nowadays its
virtual models and people know virtually nothing apart from how to push
buttons !!!

Nowadays we normally use more sensible measurements. Metric that you can
easily divide by ten to get the next size. A 15mm pipe that actually
measures 15mm.

Ah - is that the measurement system based on an incorrect calculation for
the circumference of the Earth, imposed on (initially) France by a one armed
Corsican in a silly hat

-- yes I use that system almost exclusively in my workshop, but am also able
to work in other measurement systems with equal facility !

Easier in multiples of 10.

Easier to make a mistake too.

How?

--
One frigid morning in North Dakota a man turned up at work much the worse for wear.
"I didn't sleep a wink," he told a coworker. "I was up all night trying to keep my wife's begonia covered against the freezing cold."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 16:42:42 -0000, harry wrote:

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 13:03:46 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:18:10 -0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:10:11 -0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
snip

The calipers said 14mm, reading the outer diameter of the thread of what
used to be in it.

BTW, your adapter is M to F increasing, is it? M to F reducing is
commoner and won't help you!

Yes, I selected the female and male sizes seperately from drop down boxes.

Should all work then! Copious PTFE tape should work for the taper one,
the other may need tape, fibre washer *and* sealant if both threads are
parallel.

I know about PTFE tape, but there is something else I can do if the male is 14mm and the female is 15mm?

Pipe threads are taper cut,

I've never noticed that. Must be a very gradual taper.

Sealant on the thread is squeezed out as the pipe is screed into the fitting.

Larger pipes are cut with adjustable dies so whatever thread size deemed appropiate can be cut.

Traditionally "Boss White" and hemp was used with water/steam.
And"Stag" with petrol/oil.

So what do you suggest I do with a thread that's 1mm too small?

--
A guy bought his wife a beautiful diamond ring for Christmas.
A friend of his said, "I thought she wanted one of those sporty 4-Wheel drive vehicles."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Not quite correct. Pipe threads can be BSPP (BS pipe parallel) or BSPT (BS
pipe taper)

BSPT theoretically seals with no gunge added, but it's a brave man that
doesn't give it a smear of Bosswhite, if only as a lubricant. Nowadays I
only use PTFE tape for temporary test set ups. Fr permanent screwed pipe
assemblies I now use one of the Loctite pipe sealants - 545 for small stuff
and 577 over 3/4" BSP

I've found PTFE in joints made 20 years ago and they're still fine.

--
Dancing cheektocheek is really a form of floor play.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

James, you will be absolutely delighted to know that the "ISO" metric
pipe threads (GXX ) are entirely based on British Standard Pipe
threads so you had better get used to it

Andrew

Please don't feed the troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:18:10 -0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:10:11 -0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

The calipers said 14mm, reading the outer diameter of the thread of what
used to be in it.

BTW, your adapter is M to F increasing, is it? M to F reducing is
commoner and won't help you!

Yes, I selected the female and male sizes seperately from drop down boxes.

Should all work then! Copious PTFE tape should work for the taper one,
the other may need tape, fibre washer *and* sealant if both threads are
parallel.

I know about PTFE tape, but there is something else I can do if the male
is 14mm and the female is 15mm?

It should be arranged with mating surfaces so you can use a fibre
washer. If not, then some sort of sealant is required. My only
experience dates back to hemp and some special stuff in a pot. There is
a better fernox sealant which is said to occupy space without
reinforcement, but I have no personal experience except bodged repairs
with it (which worked!).

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If they screw up tight but feel a bit sloppy before tightening then you
need sealant. If they won't screw tight at all then most likely they
are different thread families. If they just fit inside without
touching then the female thread must be 3/8" BSP and not 1/4".

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Predictably, I am with Andrew.

Standardisation, of course, started in the UK in the days when the world
was a very much less connected place.

I'm just waiting for the Brexiters to say we should ditch all this
Froggy metric stuff and get back to proper Imperial units (like they
still use in Trumpland).

You mean the imperial people with 2L bottles of coke?

Forgot to add, and the Winchester gallon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , bm escribió:

If it's for gas and 1mm on the loose side, leave it. Give us all a break.

Lol!

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

By putting the decimal point in the wrong place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 03:39:25 -0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo , bm escribió:

If it's for gas and 1mm on the loose side, leave it. Give us all a break.

Lol!

I do have a sense of smell, I'd clearly wrap parcel tape around the joint if I smelt anything.

--
Flanders and Swann on MOT tests:
Our car is getting a bit old, it'll have to be tested soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

But working with non-multiples of 10 is going to cause far more mistakes.

--
I limit my Political Correctness to voting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:01:40 PM UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:52:00 -0000, newshound wrote:

I just bought a self bleeding valve to fit into a half inch thread.
What arrived was 3/4". It's sold as 1/2" BSP, and according to this
page, 1/2" BSP is meant to be 3/4". WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...e_thread_sizes

It is pretty straightforward

http://www.bspt.co.uk/

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

From your link: "The size was originally based on the inner diameter measured in inches of a steel tube for which the thread was intended."

I've bought something stating it's a 1/2" BSP, yet the outer diameter of its male thread is 3/4", 50% bigger. How can the device I purchased be intended to fit into a steel tube of an internal diameter 2/3rds of the width of the device?

Where is this 1/2" measurement taken in relation to my device?

On a 1/2" BSP fitting there is nothing that measures 1/2". In the old days the bore used to be 1/2" but not any more.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'm just waiting for the Brexiters to say we should ditch all this
Froggy metric stuff and get back to proper Imperial units (like they
still use in Trumpland).

Isn't there a case for the them being called Imperial because they
originated in Imperial Rome rather than the days of the British
Empire.

Yes. The British Standard Whitworth thread dates back to the Archimedes
Screw. ;-)

But the Trumpites don't refer to their measurements as Imperial.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 07:42:02 -0000, harry wrote:

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 18:33:46 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:24:38 -0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 14-Mar-17 6:01 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:52:00 -0000, newshound

I just bought a self bleeding valve to fit into a half inch thread.
What arrived was 3/4". It's sold as 1/2" BSP, and according to this
page, 1/2" BSP is meant to be 3/4". WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...e_thread_sizes

It is pretty straightforward

http://www.bspt.co.uk/

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

From your link: "The size was originally based on the inner diameter
measured in inches of a steel tube for which the thread was intended."

More correctly, for sizes under 3", it was originally wrought iron pipe
(not tube) and for 3" and above, cast iron pipe. Steel pipe came later.

I've bought something stating it's a 1/2" BSP, yet the outer diameter of
its male thread is 3/4", 50% bigger.

It should be 0.825" OD.

Probably, I measured it with callipers and it was just over 3/4". I wasn't being exact, just annoyed it wasn't anything like the 1/2" I was expecting.

I was told they're standard, yet I can see three different sizes on the radiators in my house alone, with most of the radiators having a different size on each end!

How can the device I purchased be
intended to fit into a steel tube of an internal diameter 2/3rds of the
width of the device?

It is really quite simple. For water flow, it is the bore that is
important, so Imperial pipes are designated by that. You then need to
add the thickness of the walls to find the diameter of the thread that
can be cut onto that pipe. In the days of Imperial measure, things were
not done to suit the lowest common denominator.

So the pipe wall was so thick that the inner diameter was 0.5" and the outer 0.825"? I could understand that with HEP pipe, but not metal.

Where is this 1/2" measurement taken in relation to my device?

If you measured a BSP thread that was approximately 1/2" OD, then that
is 1/4" BSP. You only need to look up a BSP thread table to find this out.

I cannot find a 1/4" self bleeding valve (only 1/8 and 1/2), but I did find a 1/4 BSP to 1/2 BSP adapter, so I'll try that when it arrives.

What you want is one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...l_559by5hqwq_b

(Top picture).

Unfortunately the one I bought doesn't reach far enough into the recess! Now attempting to use three adapters in a row....

--
Why is there no Disneyland China?
No one's tall enough to go on the good rides.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:53:15 -0000, RobertL wrote:

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:01:40 PM UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:52:00 -0000, newshound wrote:

I just bought a self bleeding valve to fit into a half inch thread.
What arrived was 3/4". It's sold as 1/2" BSP, and according to this
page, 1/2" BSP is meant to be 3/4". WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...e_thread_sizes

It is pretty straightforward

http://www.bspt.co.uk/

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

From your link: "The size was originally based on the inner diameter measured in inches of a steel tube for which the thread was intended."

I've bought something stating it's a 1/2" BSP, yet the outer diameter of its male thread is 3/4", 50% bigger. How can the device I purchased be intended to fit into a steel tube of an internal diameter 2/3rds of the width of the device?

Where is this 1/2" measurement taken in relation to my device?

On a 1/2" BSP fitting there is nothing that measures 1/2". In the old days the bore used to be 1/2" but not any more.

About time to change the name then.

--
A blonde is walking down a creek. While she's looking around she notices Judi walking along the other side of the creek. She yells to the other blonde. "Hey, how do I get to the other side?"
Judi replies, "You are on the other side!"