Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default 1/2" BSP isn't half an inch?!

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:18:10 -0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:10:11 -0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

The calipers said 14mm, reading the outer diameter of the thread of what
used to be in it.

BTW, your adapter is M to F increasing, is it? M to F reducing is
commoner and won't help you!

Yes, I selected the female and male sizes seperately from drop down boxes.

Should all work then! Copious PTFE tape should work for the taper one,
the other may need tape, fibre washer *and* sealant if both threads are
parallel.

I know about PTFE tape, but there is something else I can do if the male
is 14mm and the female is 15mm?

It should be arranged with mating surfaces so you can use a fibre
washer. If not, then some sort of sealant is required. My only
experience dates back to hemp and some special stuff in a pot. There is
a better fernox sealant which is said to occupy space without
reinforcement, but I have no personal experience except bodged repairs
with it (which worked!).

--

Roger Hayter