Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New battery tech?

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
So a typical car petrol tank contains an energy equivalent of about
400kWh. If that were to be replaced by a battery storage system, which
was wanted to be recharged in say 5 minutes (one twelfth of an hour),
as is done now with a petrol filling system, that would require a
power input of 4800kW (400x12). At 1000 amps that would be 4800 volts
(assuming my logic and numbers are correct, which they may not be!).

I'd be interested to see the forecourt of the future!

Except that a typical electric motor is miles more efficient than any IC
one. Of course heating the car will increase energy consumption- that
comes free with an IC engine.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
So a typical car petrol tank contains an energy equivalent of about
400kWh. If that were to be replaced by a battery storage system, which
was wanted to be recharged in say 5 minutes (one twelfth of an hour),
as is done now with a petrol filling system, that would require a
power input of 4800kW (400x12). At 1000 amps that would be 4800 volts
(assuming my logic and numbers are correct, which they may not be!).

I'd be interested to see the forecourt of the future!

Except that a typical electric motor is miles more efficient than any IC
one. Of course heating the car will increase energy consumption- that
comes free with an IC engine.

Electric motors produce heat, too, but not nearly as much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 13:33:19 UTC, GB wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
So a typical car petrol tank contains an energy equivalent of about
400kWh. If that were to be replaced by a battery storage system, which
was wanted to be recharged in say 5 minutes (one twelfth of an hour),
as is done now with a petrol filling system, that would require a
power input of 4800kW (400x12). At 1000 amps that would be 4800 volts
(assuming my logic and numbers are correct, which they may not be!).

I'd be interested to see the forecourt of the future!

Except that a typical electric motor is miles more efficient than any IC
one. Of course heating the car will increase energy consumption- that
comes free with an IC engine.

Electric motors produce heat, too, but not nearly as much.

Mine is water cooled with an automotive radiator.
Water never gets more than lukewarm.
So no good for cab heating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Chris Hogg wrote:
So a typical car petrol tank contains an energy equivalent of about
400kWh. If that were to be replaced by a battery storage system, which
was wanted to be recharged in say 5 minutes (one twelfth of an hour),
as is done now with a petrol filling system, that would require a
power input of 4800kW (400x12). At 1000 amps that would be 4800 volts
(assuming my logic and numbers are correct, which they may not be!).

I'd be interested to see the forecourt of the future!

Except that a typical electric motor is miles more efficient than any IC
one. Of course heating the car will increase energy consumption- that
comes free with an IC engine.

Electric motors produce heat, too, but not nearly as much.

Mine is water cooled with an automotive radiator.
Water never gets more than lukewarm.
So no good for cab heating.

My petrol car has a thermostat in the cooling, which limits the water
flow until the water gets pretty hot.

Could they do the same with your electric car, if cab heating were more
of a priority?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
Electric motors produce heat, too, but not nearly as much.

Mine is water cooled with an automotive radiator.
Water never gets more than lukewarm.
So no good for cab heating.

I'd hope not. A decent car heater with an IC engine can produce the
equivalent of about 5 kW of heat.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

The electric motor needs to be a lot cooler than an ICE.
There is a separate water system for heating the cab with a resistance heater.
Hence there are two systems to keep topped up with water/antifreeze.
One for the motor/electronics, the other for the cab heating system.
The electronics are water cooled too.

Neither runs under pressure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 March 2017 11:03:42 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
Electric motors produce heat, too, but not nearly as much.

Mine is water cooled with an automotive radiator.
Water never gets more than lukewarm.
So no good for cab heating.

I'd hope not. A decent car heater with an IC engine can produce the
equivalent of about 5 kW of heat.

If you run the separate cab heater, it knocks around 25% off range.
Plus range is reduced anyway in cold weather, the batteries don't like it.
I'm not too bad, it's garaged in an underground garage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Electric motors produce heat, too, but not nearly as much.

Mine is water cooled with an automotive radiator.
Water never gets more than lukewarm.
So no good for cab heating.

I'd hope not. A decent car heater with an IC engine can produce the
equivalent of about 5 kW of heat.

If you run the separate cab heater, it knocks around 25% off range.
Plus range is reduced anyway in cold weather, the batteries don't like it.
I'm not too bad, it's garaged in an underground garage.

Crypt?!

No, part of the house andgarage is earth shielded.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_...urrent_methods

New battery tech? jim UK diy 152 March 20th 17 12:00 PM
New battery tech? Caecilius[_2_] UK diy 1 March 14th 17 03:29 PM
New battery tech? newshound UK diy 1 March 14th 17 02:13 PM
Laptop battery tech info. Ian Field Electronics Repair 2 February 29th 16 08:20 PM
Cordless Phone Battery & V-Tech ? Robert11 Home Repair 8 March 11th 07 12:45 AM