Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sometimes old tools are useful

Having got around after 2 years, to restacking the hifi, I needed a
wheeled platfom to stand it on. I went into my stock of castors and
found some nice 8mm threaded castors which seemed ideal. After buying
some 8mm threaded mounting plates from Toolstation, I attempted to mount
these and discovered that my 8mm castors were in fact 5/16 whitorth.
Fortunately in my tool collection I had some Whitworth taps and dies, so
i was able to retap the 8mm mounts to 5/16 Whitworth. Some where over
the years i have lost my thread gauge plate which would have been useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Plenty lurking on here ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2017 10:02, Capitol wrote:
Having got around after 2 years, to restacking the hifi, I needed a
wheeled platfom to stand it on. I went into my stock of castors and
found some nice 8mm threaded castors which seemed ideal. After buying
some 8mm threaded mounting plates from Toolstation, I attempted to mount
these and discovered that my 8mm castors were in fact 5/16 whitorth.
Fortunately in my tool collection I had some Whitworth taps and dies, so
i was able to retap the 8mm mounts to 5/16 Whitworth. Some where over
the years i have lost my thread gauge plate which would have been useful.

I regularly use some tools that retirees gave my dad, having used them
for donkeys' years, when he started his apprenticeship in 1936.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 10:02:56 UTC, Capitol wrote:

Having got around after 2 years, to restacking the hifi, I needed a
wheeled platfom to stand it on. I went into my stock of castors and
found some nice 8mm threaded castors which seemed ideal. After buying
some 8mm threaded mounting plates from Toolstation, I attempted to mount
these and discovered that my 8mm castors were in fact 5/16 whitorth.
Fortunately in my tool collection I had some Whitworth taps and dies, so
i was able to retap the 8mm mounts to 5/16 Whitworth. Some where over
the years i have lost my thread gauge plate which would have been useful.

I still use whitworth stuff. Here's why
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Size_conversion

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

I still use whitworth stuff.

I think the only thing I've needed a 1/4W spanner for is to remove the
jaws from my ancient vice, luckily my neighbour has a set.

Here's why
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Size_conversion

I needed a 7/64 allen key the other day but all mine are metric (2.5mm
too small, 3mm too large) turns out a T15 torx bit is a pretty good fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

I still use whitworth stuff.

I think the only thing I've needed a 1/4W spanner for is to remove the
jaws from my ancient vice, luckily my neighbour has a set.

Here's why
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Size_conversion

I needed a 7/64 allen key the other day but all mine are metric (2.5mm
too small, 3mm too large) turns out a T15 torx bit is a pretty good fit.

That's one benefit of being old. I started out with the then current tools
which included Imperial and AF, etc, so still have them. And added Metric
when it came along. Having the larger size BSW/BSF spanners, and AF, and
Metric means I've always got one which is a perfect fit to those plumbing
fittings. ;-)

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:02:56 PM UTC+11, Capitol wrote:
Having got around after 2 years, to restacking the hifi, I needed a
wheeled platfom to stand it on. I went into my stock of castors and
found some nice 8mm threaded castors which seemed ideal. After buying
some 8mm threaded mounting plates from Toolstation, I attempted to mount
these and discovered that my 8mm castors were in fact 5/16 whitorth.
Fortunately in my tool collection I had some Whitworth taps and dies, so
i was able to retap the 8mm mounts to 5/16 Whitworth. Some where over
the years i have lost my thread gauge plate which would have been useful.

I believe above above 6 mm the metric and Whitworth threads are identical in pitch. So the 5/16 whitorth would have been ok as it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:02:56 PM UTC+11, Capitol wrote:
Having got around after 2 years, to restacking the hifi, I needed a
wheeled platfom to stand it on. I went into my stock of castors and
found some nice 8mm threaded castors which seemed ideal. After buying
some 8mm threaded mounting plates from Toolstation, I attempted to
mount these and discovered that my 8mm castors were in fact 5/16
whitorth. Fortunately in my tool collection I had some Whitworth taps
and dies, so i was able to retap the 8mm mounts to 5/16 Whitworth.
Some where over the years i have lost my thread gauge plate which
would have been useful.

I believe above above 6 mm the metric and Whitworth threads are
identical in pitch. So the 5/16 whitorth would have been ok as it is.

There are some sizes of metric, whitworth and AC or UNC where the wrong
nut may well fit a bolt, etc. So ok for a non critical application.

Same with some spanner sizes.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.