Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default compression fittings near other compression fittings

I know there was a recent thread about the right/wrong ways to tighten
compression fittings to prevent water leaks. I don't know if this was
mentioned but I'll throw in something that caught me out again
yesterday: when you take a compression fitting apart, it is easy to
accidentally loosen the one at the other end of a piece of pipe, just
enough that it's hard to see the leak but you can find a small puddle
under the bathroom sink a while later. So it's worth checking all of
them in the vicinity.

(In this case, I undid the fitting at the bottom end of a flexible
connector so I could slip the hollow hexagonal tool over the connector
& tighten the nut on the wobbly tap. I discovered later that the
compression fitting on the top of the service valve had worked very
slightly loose.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 11:15:06 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
I know there was a recent thread about the right/wrong ways to tighten
compression fittings to prevent water leaks. I don't know if this was
mentioned but I'll throw in something that caught me out again
yesterday: when you take a compression fitting apart, it is easy to
accidentally loosen the one at the other end of a piece of pipe, just
enough that it's hard to see the leak but you can find a small puddle
under the bathroom sink a while later. So it's worth checking all of
them in the vicinity.

(In this case, I undid the fitting at the bottom end of a flexible
connector so I could slip the hollow hexagonal tool over the connector
& tighten the nut on the wobbly tap. I discovered later that the
compression fitting on the top of the service valve had worked very
slightly loose.)

You should always grip the body of the fitting with a spanner/grips etc when you undo the nut. Prevents strain on the rest of the pipe system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-08, harry wrote:

[...]

Well, I had one hand on a spanner on the nut that I was loosening, &
the other one on a spanner on the hex end of the flexible connector,
so I didn't have any more hands left to hold the service valve body &
its top nut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 18:00:47 UTC, harry wrote:
[...]

that does't always work though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 18:45:05 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
Well, I had one hand on a spanner on the nut that I was loosening, &
the other one on a spanner on the hex end of the flexible connector,
so I didn't have any more hands left to hold the service valve body &
its top nut.

Why can't compression fittings come with lugs so they can be screwed to the wall, to stop them wobbling when the nuts are tightened?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 18:45:05 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
Well, I had one hand on a spanner on the nut that I was loosening, &
the other one on a spanner on the hex end of the flexible connector, so
I didn't have any more hands left to hold the service valve body & its
top nut.

Why can't compression fittings come with lugs so they can be screwed to
the wall, to stop them wobbling when the nuts are tightened?

you can get tap connectors which do exactly that.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-09, charles wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 18:45:05 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
Well, I had one hand on a spanner on the nut that I was loosening, &
the other one on a spanner on the hex end of the flexible connector, so
I didn't have any more hands left to hold the service valve body & its
top nut.

Why can't compression fittings come with lugs so they can be screwed to
the wall, to stop them wobbling when the nuts are tightened?

you can get tap connectors which do exactly that.

I've never seen such a thing but it sounds interesting --- got a link?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 March 2017 08:15:27 UTC, charles wrote:
Why can't compression fittings come with lugs so they can be screwed to
the wall, to stop them wobbling when the nuts are tightened?

you can get tap connectors which do exactly that.

I know

http://www.screwfix.com/p/p803wp-2-w...w-15mm-x/92934

I wish I could do all my plumbing in half inch BSP

Owain

Compression fittings The Medway Handyman UK diy 13 December 31st 08 03:05 PM
compression fittings Stephen[_2_] UK diy 14 August 27th 08 02:11 PM
Compression fittings Arthur 51 UK diy 3 September 5th 07 02:36 PM
Brass Compression Fittings,Fittings for Pex-Al-Pex good price valvetom Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 06:20 PM
Compression fittings rile Home Repair 5 May 13th 05 03:36 AM