Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED 'retrofit' tubes

After a surprisingly argumentative earlier thread, I am letting you
know that - after supply difficulties - my Philips LED Instant Fit
tubes are due for delivery tomorrow. I will post a review then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote in
news
After a surprisingly argumentative earlier thread, I am letting you
know that - after supply difficulties - my Philips LED Instant Fit
tubes are due for delivery tomorrow. I will post a review then.

Great. will it lead to you having redundant yet powered components in the
fitting?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/03/2017 13:28, Scott wrote:
After a surprisingly argumentative earlier thread, I am letting you
know that - after supply difficulties - my Philips LED Instant Fit
tubes are due for delivery tomorrow. I will post a review then.

Surprisingly argumentative? At least it kept on topic.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 18:55:06 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Scott wrote in
news
After a surprisingly argumentative earlier thread, I am letting you
know that - after supply difficulties - my Philips LED Instant Fit
tubes are due for delivery tomorrow. I will post a review then.

Great. will it lead to you having redundant yet powered components in the
fitting?

I will aim to answer that and other questions tomorrow :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 18:55:06 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Scott wrote in
news
After a surprisingly argumentative earlier thread, I am letting you
know that - after supply difficulties - my Philips LED Instant Fit
tubes are due for delivery tomorrow. I will post a review then.

Great. will it lead to you having redundant yet powered components in the
fitting?

It's the usual minimalist instructions with pictograms. As far as I
can see, removing the ballast is an installation option. I am meeting
a mate for dinner tomorrow night who is an electrical engineer so I
will try to clarify then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 18:55:06 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Scott wrote in
news
After a surprisingly argumentative earlier thread, I am letting you
know that - after supply difficulties - my Philips LED Instant Fit
tubes are due for delivery tomorrow. I will post a review then.

Great. will it lead to you having redundant yet powered components in the
fitting?

For anyone following this thread, my electrical engineer friend could
not follow the instructions provided by Philips. He points out that
the HF ballast has to be cut out but the instructions are silent on
whether an EM ballast can be removed.

My own interpretation is that if the lamp can work without the HF
ballast it follows that no ballast is needed so the user if free to
remove the ballast. I appreciate this will be very exciting news to
one of the contributors to the earlier thread, who seemed to obsess
about this particular detail.

I am most impressed. They start instantly and there is no sign of
flicker in operation. At the moment they are substantially more
expensive (than conventional fluorescents) but for two tubes in a
domestic environment I am not particularly concerned about this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote in
:

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 18:55:06 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Scott wrote in
news
[...]

Great - what is needed now is an optimised fitting - and maybe a
foolproofing feature to prevent the wrong type being used in the wrong
fitting. Perhaps the LED could have a plastic pin arrangement at one end
- No - just make an optimise holder for an optimised LED strip and let's
ditch compatability.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott
writes

For anyone following this thread,

I am, and thank you for the update. We have 5 x 2ft tubes in the
kitchen, and I keep debating with myself, whether or not to go LED.
Interesting to read your experiences.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2017 09:11, Scott wrote:

For anyone following this thread, my electrical engineer friend could
not follow the instructions provided by Philips. He points out that
the HF ballast has to be cut out but the instructions are silent on
whether an EM ballast can be removed.

You don't need instructions once you know what's in the tube.

My own interpretation is that if the lamp can work without the HF
ballast it follows that no ballast is needed so the user if free to
remove the ballast. I appreciate this will be very exciting news to
one of the contributors to the earlier thread, who seemed to obsess
about this particular detail.

They work by just connecting 240V to the terminals, BUT...

All the ones I have seen have the 240V inputs on one end of the tube and
a SHORT between the pins on the other end.

So if you connect the mains directly to one end then putting the tube in
the other way around will trip/blow fuses.

This is fine if you use the shorting starter supplied and one the mains
inputs then goes through the choke, through the two shorted pins at one
end, through the starter and then connect to one of the pins opposite
the shorted end. The other mains goes to the other pin. The tuve will
work either way around then. You can just short the choke out if you want.

If you want to rip out all the electrics then connect one pin at each
end together and the mains to the other pin at each end. The tube will
work either way around then.

Make sure nobody fits a plain tube if you short the choke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:22:25 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Scott wrote in
:

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 18:55:06 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Scott wrote in
news
[...]

I do not see how that would be consistent with the concept of a
'retrofit' tube. The idea of retrofit is to use the existing
luminaire - plug and play in computer language. No doubt over time
LED luminaires will appear and your ideas may well feature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:23:37 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Scott
writes

For anyone following this thread,

I am, and thank you for the update. We have 5 x 2ft tubes in the
kitchen, and I keep debating with myself, whether or not to go LED.
Interesting to read your experiences.

Do you have magnetic (EM) ballast - with a starter - or electronic
(HF) ballast. Philips at least offer different versions of the tube.

(I have no connection with Philips by the way.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are many versions of fitting and may ideas of how to make the LED
tube adaptation reversable - this creates risks I feel.

surely better to do some simple by-passing of components using Waygo or
similar and mark the fitting as unsuitable for Fuorescents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:23:05 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

There are many versions of fitting and may ideas of how to make the LED
tube adaptation reversable - this creates risks I feel.

surely better to do some simple by-passing of components using Waygo or
similar and mark the fitting as unsuitable for Fuorescents.

This may be a counsel of perfection but the argument is that
by-passing components requires a 'qualified person' and replacing a
tube does not. Hence the demand for retrofit. Incidentally, there is
a sticker to be added in the terms you suggest because the starter has
been replaced.

The good news is that both options are available so in the pluralistic
society in which we live consumers have a choice. What could be
better than that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

For anyone following this thread, my electrical engineer friend could
not follow the instructions provided by Philips.
I appreciate this will be very exciting news to
one of the contributors to the earlier thread, who seemed to obsess
about this particular detail.

chuckle

Replace T 12 tubes with T8 tubes? walter Home Repair 18 April 27th 11 04:02 AM
Po Man's E-quake retrofit g kay Home Ownership 0 June 23rd 09 09:36 PM
Radiant tubes in a concrete/mud slab vs mounting the tubes under the sub floor. [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 07 06:37 AM
ERV retrofit William Brown Home Repair 2 June 27th 05 04:09 AM
Tub to shower retrofit TerryS Home Repair 3 September 5th 04 04:50 AM