Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw chains question

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 17:05:22 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

Cheers. Obviously a wee bit more to it than I first realised.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

Cheers. Obviously a wee bit more to it than I first realised.

Tim

No you realised immediately that there was more to it than you knew.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 17:07:22 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

There are various widths and pitches but two main general purpose ones.

Take the chain to the shop and they'll likely give you a duplicate over the counter.
There are also variations available for different wood and "rip cutting" and "cross cutting".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

Cheers. Obviously a wee bit more to it than I first realised.

Tim

No you realised immediately that there was more to it than you knew.

Bill

Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side....

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

Erm... 56.5 links? I'm not sure that's possible?!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

Erm... 56.5 links? I'm not sure that's possible?!

Regretfully, I can assure you that it is. Rebuilding the chain to suit
takes quite a bit of effort. The odd link is kinked. It is many years
old now, I've never seen another like it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Capitol Wrote in message:
jim wrote:
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

Erm... 56.5 links? I'm not sure that's possible?!

Regretfully, I can assure you that it is. Rebuilding the chain to suit
takes quite a bit of effort. The odd link is kinked. It is many years
old now, I've never seen another like it.

So when the regularly spaced sprockets at the engine & barend
come across this bit, what happens?

Does it jump like an old bike?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

That's weird. Isn't their enough tension adjustment to fit a 57 link chain?
Haven't stripped mine down yet so will have to wait and see.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

Erm... 56.5 links? I'm not sure that's possible?!

Yes, at least in bicycle chains.

https://goo.gl/images/U7HvSn

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

That's weird. Isn't their enough tension adjustment to fit a 57 link chain?
Haven't stripped mine down yet so will have to wait and see.

Tim

Mine is definitely 57. Has yours stretched and been bodged by someone?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 17:05:22 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is
it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links
or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I've used https://www.newsawchains.co.uk/ for a few years; whenever
I forget exactly which sawchain I need (I've had more than one saw,
sometimes two at the same time), I email him, he tells me what I need, I
order, and I get my new sawchains by return post.

Yes, I have a vested interest: he's good, quick, and clearly a small
business: I like to support such people!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

That's weird. Isn't their enough tension adjustment to fit a 57 link chain?
Haven't stripped mine down yet so will have to wait and see.

Tim

Mine is definitely 57. Has yours stretched and been bodged by someone?

Tim

No, it was made that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 17:05:22 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is
it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links
or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I've used https://www.newsawchains.co.uk/ for a few years; whenever
I forget exactly which sawchain I need (I've had more than one saw,
sometimes two at the same time), I email him, he tells me what I need, I
order, and I get my new sawchains by return post.

Yes, I have a vested interest: he's good, quick, and clearly a small
business: I like to support such people!

John

Shame his prices are more than twice as much as I've paid on eBay. Of
course his chains may be twice as good but given that my use is so
occasional I'm not going to worry too much.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it
just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or
are there more differences that I need to know about?

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs
(anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which
is a pain.

That's weird. Isn't their enough tension adjustment to fit a 57 link chain?
Haven't stripped mine down yet so will have to wait and see.

Tim

Mine is definitely 57. Has yours stretched and been bodged by someone?

Tim

No, it was made that way.

I would still have thought that there was enough chain tension adjustment
to take up half a link's length. Certainly on my Lidl chainsaw there's
plenty of scope to take up that degree of slack.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

[...]