Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remington rotary shavers.

Don't know part numbers here, but I have 2. One is quite old and the
batteries do not last long on a charge and now the top bit that had a bush
to screw the centre of the heads into has split and the heads are only held
in with pressure from the drive spindles.
I have a newwer oone which, when new obviously had some kind of motor
control as it never slowed, just stopped at some point presumably when the
battery volts got too low.
Now this one is acting up. It still works but even after a long charge a
couple of days later it won't start on batteries, It just jerks. If you take
the head off it will normally start and then when you put it on while its
going it will work again for that session for about another three days doing
the same thing.
My guess is that its batteries again, ie the starting load momentarily
brings the volts down below the cut of so it just jerks.
Here we are in the 21st century and we cannot make rechargeable devices
that last as long as the basic mechanics in them.
I like the Remintons over the Philips as they have the edge cutting blades
on the side of the heads as well as two cutters horizontally.

Very clever design, but oh the batteries are rubbish, or maybe the way the
charger charges them is rubbish, I don't know.

Probably not worth repair but the last one I bought was nearly 70 quid which
seems an awful lot considering the lack of complexity of a shaver. I mean
what is in it, a switch mode charger some rechargeable batteries a switch
and motor drive bits and the heads. The trimmers tend to fall apart since
they are just a cam operated slider as far as I can tell.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Can you get ones that take standard primary cells and instead use
rechargables that are much cheaper to replace when the inevitable happens?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Can you get ones that take standard primary cells and instead use
rechargables that are much cheaper to replace when the inevitable
happens?

The snag with user replaceable cells on something with a motor that might
need quite high starting current, is making contacts which stay low
impedance over a period of time. Without being very expensive to make.
Welded tags to the cells get round this.

And a decent electric razor can be rinsed out under a tap - so needs to be
pretty waterproof.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

I have a now very old Reminton shaver which is the best I have ever owned
recently had to change the batterys they take 4/5 AA which are not that easy
to find but it now works great again.
-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here we are in the 21st century and we cannot make rechargeable devices
that last as long as the basic mechanics in them.

Which is why I always use a mains only shavers and expect 15+ years
service from them.

I have never felt the urge to shave "al fresco" so why do I need a
battery shaver?

Yes it's true the shaver socket seems to disappear from hotel
bathrooms when they remodel them, not my fault though.

I just have to remember to pack an adapter. And a mirror ideally.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Electric Shavers polygonum UK diy 1 August 9th 13 09:44 AM
shavers only socket in bathroom benpost UK diy 31 August 13th 08 11:06 AM
Repairing shavers Paul S UK diy 0 April 4th 08 01:08 PM
OT - electric shavers? Lobster UK diy 21 November 17th 07 12:04 PM
Electric shavers Dave Baker UK diy 14 August 2nd 06 10:45 AM