Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shavers only socket in bathroom

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring? cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring? cheers

it will be *probably* connected to your upstairs lighting circuit but check
before removing anything. I just removed the shaver faceplate, disconnected
the wiring and put into a choc block and taped it to the inside of the back
box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Slider" wrote in message ...

"benpost" wrote in message
i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring? cheers

it will be *probably* connected to your upstairs lighting circuit but
check before removing anything. I just removed the shaver faceplate,
disconnected the wiring and put into a choc block and taped it to the
inside of the back box.

Apologies, ignore my previous post above. I mis-read, I thought you wanted
to remove it whilst decorating not permanently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:53:52 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be benpost
wrote this:-

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring?

I think that the question indicates that you do not have suitable
skills to do this yourself.

If there is a pressing reason to remove it (why not just leave it
there?) then someone with suitable skills would probably trace the
wiring back to an accessory, disconnect the cable and then pull it
out of the wall.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

well i dont think they are used very much anymore are they? i know how
to switch off all the circuits, so i guess if i do this then take off
the faceplace and see if i can locate where the wiring goes..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
well i dont think they are used very much anymore are they? i know how
to switch off all the circuits, so i guess if i do this then take off
the faceplace and see if i can locate where the wiring goes..

The wire will *probably* go to the ceiling rose in that same room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring?

I think that the question indicates that you do not have suitable
skills to do this yourself.

No it doesn't

If there is a pressing reason to remove it (why not just leave it
there?) then someone with suitable skills would probably trace the
wiring back to an accessory, disconnect the cable and then pull it
out of the wall.

The OP is to be commended for asking here instead of just going ahead
and doing something possibly with dire consequences .How did any of us
learn how to do something without asking .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
well i dont think they are used very much anymore are they? i know how
to switch off all the circuits, so i guess if i do this then take off
the faceplace and see if i can locate where the wiring goes..

They're handy for charging electric toothbrushes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
benpost wrote:
well i dont think they are used very much anymore are they?

Yes - for charging that rechargeable razor or toothbrush, etc. Most have
'razor' two pin plugs.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:00:03 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:24:13 +0100 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I think that the question indicates that you do not have suitable
skills to do this yourself.

No it doesn't

You know the other person and their electrical skills? Fascinating.
Unless you have such knowledge then you have made an interesting
assertion. I'll stick with my thoughts though.

Note very carefully that I gave an indication of what a person with
suitable skills is likely to do. The OP might be able to gather
suitable skills after informing themself. I didn't claim that they
would never have suitable skills, though that is the implication in
your posting.

If you wish to make even more of a fool of yourself then that is up
to you, oh unknown one.

I hope you are not so far up your arse in real life as you come across
on here ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
benpost wrote:
well i dont think they are used very much anymore are they?

Yes - for charging that rechargeable razor or toothbrush, etc. Most have
'razor' two pin plugs.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The socket is a real asset - if not to you, then the next owner will
appreciate it. An estate agent would possibly even make a point of the
existence of the socket.
I use mine for my toothbrush and for charging my USA 120 volt Shaver.

They are quite costly - so if you do get rid of it you may get a few quids
for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring? cheers

I would consider if it is really wise to remove it, since they can be
useful.

If you still want to remove it, you have a few options. The neatest
would be to find where the socket connects back to the supply - probably
a ceiling rose as others have suggested - but could also be a fused spur
unit in the room or an adjacent one. Disconnect it there. There is no
requirement to actually strip out the cable - especially if it is
plastered in. Once the cable to the socket is isolated you can fill in
the backbox without needing to leave the cable end available for
inspection or needing a blanking plate to indicate the presence of
buried live cable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring?

I think that the question indicates that you do not have suitable
skills to do this yourself.

When, given the task in hand, even someone with no previous knowledge or
skills can be elevated to sufficiently competent with just a few lines
of instruction, what is the point in posting a pointless willy waving
response like this?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
wrote this:-

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring?

I think that the question indicates that you do not have suitable
skills to do this yourself.

When, given the task in hand, even someone with no previous knowledge
or skills can be elevated to sufficiently competent with just a few
lines of instruction, what is the point in posting a pointless willy
waving response like this?

You can't type replies containing such personal abuse

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring?

I think that the question indicates that you do not have suitable
skills to do this yourself.

When, given the task in hand, even someone with no previous knowledge or
skills can be elevated to sufficiently competent with just a few lines
of instruction, what is the point in posting a pointless willy waving
response like this?

Careful ...I got slagged for suggesting something similar earlier .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from benpost contains these words:

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring? cheers

Why remove it?

They're usually considered an asset and they're being used more and more.

Granted, mains-only men's electric razors aren't quite so common as they
were but

* these sockets can be used for recharging rechargeable models
* almost as many women as men are now using electric razors
* electric toothbrushes are extremely common.

Leave it in position.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:
The message

from benpost contains these words:

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have
never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely?
what would i do with the wiring? cheers

Why remove it?

They're usually considered an asset and they're being used more and more.

Granted, mains-only men's electric razors aren't quite so common as they
were but

* these sockets can be used for recharging rechargeable models
* almost as many women as men are now using electric razors
* electric toothbrushes are extremely common.

Leave it in position.

Agreed. We could do with one for our electric toothbrush.
There is a single blanking plate in our fully tiled bathroom covering an
opening into the boxed in area around the soil pipe. I could run a mains
cable to this area but a single size shaver socket costs about GBP80.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Invisible Man wrote:
Agreed. We could do with one for our electric toothbrush.
There is a single blanking plate in our fully tiled bathroom covering an
opening into the boxed in area around the soil pipe. I could run a mains
cable to this area but a single size shaver socket costs about GBP80.

Eh?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ets/index.html

But a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or rather I've
never seen one which does. However if you have an existing one gang box
into a boxed in area it wouldn't be too difficult to enlarge the hole for
a two gang one - even if tiled.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
Agreed. We could do with one for our electric toothbrush.
There is a single blanking plate in our fully tiled bathroom covering an
opening into the boxed in area around the soil pipe. I could run a mains
cable to this area but a single size shaver socket costs about GBP80.

Eh?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ets/index.html

But a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or rather I've
never seen one which does. However if you have an existing one gang box
into a boxed in area it wouldn't be too difficult to enlarge the hole for
a two gang one - even if tiled.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

More a case of dual voltage that is the indicator of a transformer (and the
weight)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
But a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or rather
I've never seen one which does. However if you have an existing one
gang box into a boxed in area it wouldn't be too difficult to enlarge
the hole for a two gang one - even if tiled.

More a case of dual voltage that is the indicator of a transformer (and
the weight)

I'd guess the dual voltage comes near free with a transformer - but I
doubt there is room for a transformer in any standard size 1 gang box.

A 2 gang deep one specially for shaver sockets is quite a snug fit.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
But a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or rather
I've never seen one which does. However if you have an existing one
gang box into a boxed in area it wouldn't be too difficult to enlarge
the hole for a two gang one - even if tiled.

More a case of dual voltage that is the indicator of a transformer (and
the weight)

I'd guess the dual voltage comes near free with a transformer - but I
doubt there is room for a transformer in any standard size 1 gang box.

A 2 gang deep one specially for shaver sockets is quite a snug fit.

The £80 one quoted by the OP is a neat small 1 gang fitting for bathrooms
...... the transformer is separate and has to be separately mounted. Not a
bad soultion for neatness, if a tad expensive,

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
But a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or rather
I've never seen one which does. However if you have an existing one
gang box into a boxed in area it wouldn't be too difficult to enlarge
the hole for a two gang one - even if tiled.
More a case of dual voltage that is the indicator of a transformer (and
the weight)

I'd guess the dual voltage comes near free with a transformer - but I
doubt there is room for a transformer in any standard size 1 gang box.

A 2 gang deep one specially for shaver sockets is quite a snug fit.

The £80 one quoted by the OP is a neat small 1 gang fitting for bathrooms
..... the transformer is separate and has to be separately mounted. Not a
bad soultion for neatness, if a tad expensive,

Exactly. This is the one I had seen.
I am not going to install one without an isolating transformer in the
business area of a bathroom.
I have no spare tiles and am dubious about enlarging the hole.
Solution at the moment is to charge the toothbrush up in another room
every couple of weeks. Probably better for the battery anyway!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
But a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or
rather I've never seen one which does. However if you have an
existing one gang box into a boxed in area it wouldn't be too
difficult to enlarge the hole for a two gang one - even if tiled.

More a case of dual voltage that is the indicator of a transformer
(and the weight)

I'd guess the dual voltage comes near free with a transformer - but I
doubt there is room for a transformer in any standard size 1 gang box.

A 2 gang deep one specially for shaver sockets is quite a snug fit.

The £80 one quoted by the OP is a neat small 1 gang fitting for
bathrooms ..... the transformer is separate and has to be separately
mounted. Not a bad soultion for neatness, if a tad expensive,

Ah. Right. It would be far cheaper to buy a non isolated 1 gang type and
an isolated 2 gang and use that transformer - unless you must have the
dual voltage.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Invisible Man wrote:
The £80 one quoted by the OP is a neat small 1 gang fitting for
bathrooms ..... the transformer is separate and has to be separately
mounted. Not a bad soultion for neatness, if a tad expensive,

Exactly. This is the one I had seen. I am not going to install one
without an isolating transformer in the business area of a bathroom. I
have no spare tiles and am dubious about enlarging the hole. Solution at
the moment is to charge the toothbrush up in another room every couple
of weeks. Probably better for the battery anyway!

Get a 1 gang non isolated and a standard 2 gang isolated and use that to
isolate the one gang one. Total cost under 30 quid.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Caution:

Take Care - many have a switch on the primary side which is operated when
the plug is inserted. (otherwise the primary would be constantly live)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quote from an MK spec.

Insertion of a shaver plug
automatically switches on the
shaver socket by energising the
primary side of the isolating
transformer - removal automatically
switches off.

My Legrand has the same mechanism :

Double wound isolating transformer
Automatic self-resetting overload feature
Plug insertion operates microswitch which energises transformer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
Take Care - many have a switch on the primary side which is operated
when the plug is inserted. (otherwise the primary would be constantly
live)

And many don't. A doorbell transformer is permanently live, after all. A
well designed transformer will draw virtually no current with no load on
the secondary.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
John wrote:
Take Care - many have a switch on the primary side which is operated
when the plug is inserted. (otherwise the primary would be constantly
live)

And many don't.

Don't think I've ever seen one which didn't.
Even a no-name from screwfix for under a fiver
some years back does.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
John wrote:
Take Care - many have a switch on the primary side which is operated
when the plug is inserted. (otherwise the primary would be constantly
live)

And many don't.

Don't think I've ever seen one which didn't.
Even a no-name from screwfix for under a fiver
some years back does.

None of the ones on here have a switch.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ets/index.html

I've just replaced the one in my bathroom with a chrome one during a
re-fit. The old one is some 25 years old - and neither have a switch.
However I wired it to the switched side of the lights originally so in my
case it doesn't matter.

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Repairing shavers Paul S UK diy 0 April 4th 08 01:08 PM
OT - electric shavers? Lobster UK diy 21 November 17th 07 12:04 PM
Electric shavers Dave Baker UK diy 14 August 2nd 06 10:45 AM
Left Handed Shaver Socket on Bathroom Lights Simon Pawson UK diy 3 February 23rd 05 06:00 PM
Regs re electrics in the bathroom? Requirements for a socket? Mike Barnard UK diy 11 November 25th 04 08:33 PM