Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor cable protector for cable across block paving

Due to various things we now need to run the orange 240V power cable for
our caravan across the block paving where visitors walk to get to and from
the front door.

I recall black rubber cable trunking across industrial areas doing this
kind of thing.

I've quickly found https://www.nbbmatting.co.uk/Cable-Covers/Universal-
Cable-Protector which looks like more or less what I remember.

Any gotchas, or better alternatives?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb 2017 17:21:34 GMT, David wrote:

I've quickly found https://www.nbbmatting.co.uk/Cable-Covers/Universal-
Cable-Protector which looks like more or less what I remember.

Any gotchas, or better alternatives?

Check the diameter of your cable. The above type 1 has a max cable
dia of 8 mm, the type 2 10 mm. But other than that, that sort of
thing is pretty good for one or two small cables. Long term I'd check
that the cable isn't getting chaffed by the cover and/or block paving
and/or grit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 17:21:37 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
I've quickly found https://www.nbbmatting.co.uk/Cable-Covers/Universal-
Cable-Protector which looks like more or less what I remember.
Any gotchas, or better alternatives?

some are slittable and fit over an existing flex, others require the flex to be poked through and the plug fitted afterwards.

You can also get ones with high-vis stripes in, if there isn't much contrast with your block paving

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...low-stripes-9m

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co...--vs-haz2.html

or cable ramps for heavier duty / vehicles driving over

http://www.theramppeople.co.uk/20mm-...-cover-trp-cr3

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/02/2017 17:21, David wrote:

better alternatives?

Bury a cable under the block paving?

Or if that's too much work, hang a cable across well above head height.

I had a cable protector like that in my office. It was way better than
just having unprotected cables, but it was always a bit of a trip
hazard. If I could avoid having one in my driveway, I would.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Due to various things we now need to run the orange 240V power cable for
our caravan across the block paving where visitors walk to get to and from
the front door.

I recall black rubber cable trunking across industrial areas doing this
kind of thing.

I've quickly found https://www.nbbmatting.co.uk/Cable-Covers/Universal-
Cable-Protector which looks like more or less what I remember.

Any gotchas, or better alternatives?

Ribbed rubber matting. From the likes of Woolies. Fine for something the
size of a mains flex. And easy to store when not in use.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:24:38 +0000, GB wrote:

On 16/02/2017 17:21, David wrote:

better alternatives?

Bury a cable under the block paving?

Or if that's too much work, hang a cable across well above head height.

I had a cable protector like that in my office. It was way better than
just having unprotected cables, but it was always a bit of a trip
hazard. If I could avoid having one in my driveway, I would.

We take the power cable with us when we go caravanning. We have a blue 3
pin connector (just like on caravan sites) to provide power at home.

To run the cable above head height requires an external modification to
the caravan to secure the cable, or some kind of pole in/on the drive.

A cover along the ground seems a much more KISS solution.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2017 10:40, David wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:24:38 +0000, GB wrote:

On 16/02/2017 17:21, David wrote:

better alternatives?

Bury a cable under the block paving?

Or if that's too much work, hang a cable across well above head height.

I had a cable protector like that in my office. It was way better than
just having unprotected cables, but it was always a bit of a trip
hazard. If I could avoid having one in my driveway, I would.

We take the power cable with us when we go caravanning. We have a blue 3
pin connector (just like on caravan sites) to provide power at home.

To run the cable above head height requires an external modification to
the caravan to secure the cable, or some kind of pole in/on the drive.

A cover along the ground seems a much more KISS solution.

Cheers

Dave R

A better solution would be a permanent outdoor socket - fed by SWA cable
buried underground - near to where power is required for the caravan.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
Due to various things we now need to run the orange 240V power cable for
our caravan across the block paving where visitors walk to get to and from
the front door.

I recall black rubber cable trunking across industrial areas doing this
kind of thing.

I've quickly found https://www.nbbmatting.co.uk/Cable-Covers/Universal-
Cable-Protector which looks like more or less what I remember.

Any gotchas, or better alternatives?

Ribbed rubber matting. From the likes of Woolies. Fine for something the
size of a mains flex. And easy to store when not in use.

Woolies? try ebay

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
Due to various things we now need to run the orange 240V power cable
for our caravan across the block paving where visitors walk to get
to and from the front door.

I recall black rubber cable trunking across industrial areas doing
this kind of thing.

I've quickly found
https://www.nbbmatting.co.uk/Cable-Covers/Universal- Cable-Protector
which looks like more or less what I remember.

Any gotchas, or better alternatives?

Ribbed rubber matting. From the likes of Woolies. Fine for something
the size of a mains flex. And easy to store when not in use.

Woolies? try ebay

Woolies are a car trim materials supplier. But Ebay might be a good place
to find it too.

I do know the Woolies stuff works well, though. Nice and flexible even
when cold. Last thing you want it a mat with the edges curled up - a trip
hazard.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:52:56 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Then again, all sorts of complicated issues.

The caravan is a long one so is diagonally across the block paving. The
electrical connector on the caravan is somewhere near the middle of the
block paved drive. So I would have to have something which was sunk into
the ground (so it didn't get in the way when getting on and off the drive)
but which didn't have any risk of trapping water.

We only have this issue because at 8 metres long the caravan will not fit
at right angles between the house and the road nor will it fit side to
side across the front (even if it did we wouldn't be able to get in and
out). The electrical wire has to cross the main thoroughfare to get from
the house to the caravan.

Still feeling that the rubber trunking is the KISS solution.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 13:34:51 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I do know the Woolies stuff works well, though. Nice and flexible even
when cold. Last thing you want it a mat with the edges curled up - a
trip hazard.

Agreed. Trouble is the wind can get under matting and flip the edge
or end up. That doesn't happen with the cable protector stuff, but
that can get kicked onto it's edge particulary if the length is short
(2 m).

As for other suggestions. Flying the cable, isn't the roof of the
caravan high enough to give suffcient head room? Fly from a suitable
anchor to the roof and over it to the far side. Making sure it stays
on the roof and not slip sideways might be a problem.

Power post place it near the caravan perhaps the otherside to the
power inlet, cable underneath the caravan.

Or just get a longer cable and run it "the long way round" to reach
the van. Might have to pay attention to the ELI, though this feed
should be through it's own RCD or RCBO.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2017 17:57, David wrote:
[...]

In that case, can't you bring it out from a different point in the house
so that it *doesn't* meed to cross the main thoroughfare? What about a
waterproof socket on an external wall at the nearest point to the back
or front of the caravan (depending on which way round it is)? The cable
could then run *under* the caravan.

If that's no good, can you post a photo or diagram showing the position
of the caravan relative to the house?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I do know the Woolies stuff works well, though. Nice and flexible even
when cold. Last thing you want it a mat with the edges curled up - a
trip hazard.

Agreed. Trouble is the wind can get under matting and flip the edge
or end up. That doesn't happen with the cable protector stuff, but
that can get kicked onto it's edge particulary if the length is short
(2 m).

You've probably been through all the options for making cable runs safe
over pavements etc on location filming. The snag with some types of cable
protection is they may be a trip hazard by themselves.

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 18:39:42 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

There isn't a "long way round".

The caravan is across the front of the house at a shallow angle.

The foot way runs from RHS (facing forward) across the front to the LHS
and then round the back of the caravan and out into the street.

So there isn't a route from the house to the caravan which doesn't cross
the foot way.

The electrical socket on the caravan faces the house so there isn't any
"under the caravan" either.

I could install a new socket to the RHS of the doorway in the porch but
not in the short term.

So expedient covering of the cable seems the easiest route.

Cheers

Dave R

---