Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for outdoor LV cable

I'm looking for about 5 metres of 4-core cable for a low voltage outdoor
security application (photoelectric beam detector). The alarm companies
I've spoken to don't supply outdoor-quality cable and encourage me to
the "ordinary" stuff on the basis that it will "probably" be OK and it's
cheap enough to replace if it fails.

Looking in the CPC catalogue (last year's, but that's another story...)
the best I can find is a 100-metre reel of ten-pair telecom cable at
about GBP 60.

I suppose the other way to proceed would be to put indoor-quality cable
in conduit but I want it to look unobtrusive so the smaller the better.

Any ideas?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
I'm looking for about 5 metres of 4-core cable for a low voltage outdoor
security application (photoelectric beam detector). The alarm companies
I've spoken to don't supply outdoor-quality cable and encourage me to
the "ordinary" stuff on the basis that it will "probably" be OK and it's
cheap enough to replace if it fails.

Looking in the CPC catalogue (last year's, but that's another story...)
the best I can find is a 100-metre reel of ten-pair telecom cable at
about GBP 60.

I suppose the other way to proceed would be to put indoor-quality cable
in conduit but I want it to look unobtrusive so the smaller the better.

Any ideas?

--
Mike Barnes

Look for a B van and offer the guy a drink in return for an offcut of cable?

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
I'm looking for about 5 metres of 4-core cable for a low voltage outdoor
security application (photoelectric beam detector). The alarm companies
I've spoken to don't supply outdoor-quality cable and encourage me to
the "ordinary" stuff on the basis that it will "probably" be OK and it's
cheap enough to replace if it fails.

Looking in the CPC catalogue (last year's, but that's another story...)
the best I can find is a 100-metre reel of ten-pair telecom cable at
about GBP 60.

I suppose the other way to proceed would be to put indoor-quality cable
in conduit but I want it to look unobtrusive so the smaller the better.

TLC sell 5 pair by the met-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...nal/index.html

They also do a black 'ordinary' telephone cable that should be more
resistant to UV.

However, I'd expect ordinary alarm cable to have a pretty long life
outdoors - unless subject to mechanical damage.

Most large suppliers like CPC and RS etc only sell by the reel. The other
alternative is to find a BT van and ask for some of the stuff they use
externally on houses etc. This is 3 pair with a tough outer sheath.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
I'm looking for about 5 metres of 4-core cable for a low voltage outdoor
security application (photoelectric beam detector). The alarm companies
I've spoken to don't supply outdoor-quality cable and encourage me to
the "ordinary" stuff on the basis that it will "probably" be OK and it's
cheap enough to replace if it fails.

Looking in the CPC catalogue (last year's, but that's another story...)
the best I can find is a 100-metre reel of ten-pair telecom cable at
about GBP 60.

I suppose the other way to proceed would be to put indoor-quality cable
in conduit but I want it to look unobtrusive so the smaller the better.

Any ideas?

use armoured HV stuff if you want a really solid job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

I'm looking for about 5 metres of 4-core cable for a low voltage outdoor
security application (photoelectric beam detector). The alarm companies
I've spoken to don't supply outdoor-quality cable and encourage me to
the "ordinary" stuff on the basis that it will "probably" be OK and it's
cheap enough to replace if it fails.

Looking in the CPC catalogue (last year's, but that's another story...)
the best I can find is a 100-metre reel of ten-pair telecom cable at
about GBP 60.

I suppose the other way to proceed would be to put indoor-quality cable
in conduit but I want it to look unobtrusive so the smaller the better.

The exterior grade telecoms cables are usually adequate for low current
applications. Alternatively look at something like Hi-Tuf for more power
hungry applications:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_c hoice

Available from TLC etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

use armoured HV stuff if you want a really solid job.

I think the person is after ELV multi-core cable.

BS5467 SWA LV (600/1000V) 4-core cable is likely to
be too big at 12.9mm outer diameter & bend radius 6D.

Outdoor-rated CW1038 BT 4-6 core twisted would be ok.
o Gives more pairs than required, but is UV rated
o Extra pairs can be used for security loop usage
o Extra pairs can be combined to reduce voltage drop

It can be bought on Ebay...
o 10m 15m 25m 50m to 100m lengths
o 15m 6-core CW1038 £5.99 -- 250187930205
o 10m 6-core CW1038 £4.99 -- 250189447746

It is not armoured however, you would need SY CY etc
which is more costly & really needs (expensive) glands.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Dorothy Bradbury wrote:
use armoured HV stuff if you want a really solid job.

I think the person is after ELV multi-core cable.

BS5467 SWA LV (600/1000V) 4-core cable is likely to
be too big at 12.9mm outer diameter & bend radius 6D.

Outdoor-rated CW1038 BT 4-6 core twisted would be ok.
o Gives more pairs than required, but is UV rated
o Extra pairs can be used for security loop usage
o Extra pairs can be combined to reduce voltage drop

It can be bought on Ebay...
o 10m 15m 25m 50m to 100m lengths
o 15m 6-core CW1038 £5.99 -- 250187930205
o 10m 6-core CW1038 £4.99 -- 250189447746

Perfect, thanks - I've placed my order.

--
Mike Barnes