Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Burglar alarm problem

Our alarm has taken to sounding with a 'Panic' notification from
time-to-time despite there being no panic button installed. It has also
alarmed with both zones indicated without any apparent reason: the last
time it did this it took a long time for it to settle once the exit door
had been closed, but I waited and it did settle.

The panel is a Scantronic 9448 and the only change has been the recent
replacement of the bell box with a Honeywell AG6 sounder and strobe (the
panel wasn't originally wired with a strobe output so, as the
instructions suggest, 'ST-' was linked to' SW-').

Anyone got any thoughts on what might be going on? I don't want to upset
the neighbours with false alarms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you have any wireless sensors some alarms have a tendency to go off if the battery dies while the system is armed.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
Our alarm has taken to sounding with a 'Panic' notification from
time-to-time despite there being no panic button installed. It has also
alarmed with both zones indicated without any apparent reason: the last
time it did this it took a long time for it to settle once the exit door
had been closed, but I waited and it did settle.

The panel is a Scantronic 9448 and the only change has been the recent
replacement of the bell box with a Honeywell AG6 sounder and strobe (the
panel wasn't originally wired with a strobe output so, as the
instructions suggest, 'ST-' was linked to' SW-').

Anyone got any thoughts on what might be going on? I don't want to upset
the neighbours with false alarms.

Anyone?

How can a panel go into panic mode when neither a panic circuit or
button has been installed?

Could the 'ST-' to 'SW-' link be unsettling things?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:

How can a panel go into panic mode when neither a panic circuit or
button has been installed?

Could the 'ST-' to 'SW-' link be unsettling things?

When was the battery in the panel last changed? They may only last a
couple to three years before they cannot hold a charge properly. The
battery is meant to instantly cut in when you get a power cut or a small
glitch on the mains but when it cannot hold the charge a mains glitch
will set off the alarm.

When you measure the 2/3 year old battery terminal voltage in an alarm
panel it may still indicate a nominal 12V but this doesn't mean that it
can supply enough current the instant the panel switches from mains to
battery supply.

Try testing by removing the mains supply to your alarm box (turn off the
whole house supply) and see if the alarm triggers - it shouldn't if the
battery is OK.

A replacement battery will probably have push on spade terminals and
cost £10/15.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2017 12:02, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you have any wireless sensors some alarms have a tendency to go off if the battery dies while the system is armed.

Thanks, but it's all hard wired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2017 13:21, alan_m wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll give it a try: it looks as though the battery is coming up
to eight years old. The panel is on it's own spur so I can isolate it by
flicking just that switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2017 13:48, F wrote:

Thanks, I'll give it a try: it looks as though the battery is coming up
to eight years old.

You are living on borrowed time.
At 8 years you should be on the second or third battery.

Don't forget that when you take off the cover from the panel you will
trigger the anti tamper spring loaded switch and the alarm will sound.
Even if you turn off the mains and remove the battery in the panel the
bell box will/may then sense a total loss of power and sound off. If the
bell box doesn't sound off perhaps its own rechargeable battery has
failed - that it usually a soldered in battery (a battery with solder tags).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

That connection will not unsettle things.

However I do believe the bell tamper circuit on a 9448 causes a panic
mode alarm.

Link the TR to 0V in the control panel and see if that cures the problem.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
You are living on borrowed time.
At 8 years you should be on the second or third battery.

Don't be silly. A decent quality SLA in float mode will last much more
than 3 years. Unless the charger is very poor indeed.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

I'll do that, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

I finally got a round tuit, put a link in, and it panicked five minutes
later. Does it need to be left for voltages and whatever to settle? Or
do I remove the link?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

What lights light up on your keypad when the alarm sounds?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/02/2017 20:05, F wrote:
On 23/02/2017 19:45, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

OK. How old is the alarm panel. It might be older than the manuals I
have access to. Is it a separate keypad or is the keypad part of the
main panel?

Leave the link in that you have already installed (for now) and fit a
new link between the A/T terminals.

If you were to upload a photo of the inside of your panel as you do this
then I can at least work what mark your panel is.

Cheers
--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 20:05, F wrote:
On 23/02/2017 19:45, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

Thanks Adam.

The panel is probably turn of the century or older: the manual's part
number is dated January 1992 and I was emailing Scantronic about it in
2003! Images at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...ntronic%209448

And around 15 minutes after I had closed the panel after taking the
images the external sounder went off (nothing internally) with the Day
and Panic LEDs lit on the panel. This matches what happened after I
installed the link you suggested: close the panel and it will panic
shortly after.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/02/2017 15:20, F wrote:
On 24/02/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 20:05, F wrote:
On 23/02/2017 19:45, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

I am going to ask an alarm installer in the morning.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2017 16:33, ARW wrote:
On 25/02/2017 15:20, F wrote:
On 24/02/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 20:05, F wrote:
On 23/02/2017 19:45, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

Thanks: appreciated!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2017 15:20, F wrote:
On 24/02/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 20:05, F wrote:
On 23/02/2017 19:45, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

To add to this: the panel has panicked for a seemingly random reason
just now. The panel had not been opened and nothing else linked to the
alarm system had happened.

Odd, and a little worrying if it's going to sound while we're out for
the day, or longer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 15:46, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 25/02/2017 15:20, F wrote:

The panel is probably turn of the century or older: the manual's part
number is dated January 1992 and I was emailing Scantronic about it in
2003! Images at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...ntronic%209448

I guess - 0541

And you would be wrong... and I'm not responding to any more guesses!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/02/2017 17:28, F wrote:
On 26/02/2017 16:33, ARW wrote:
On 25/02/2017 15:20, F wrote:
On 24/02/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 20:05, F wrote:
On 23/02/2017 19:45, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

I spoke to him today. He said that alarm will be between 20 years old or
older than him:-).

The only suggestion he can make is a factory reset. If that fails
replace it. He says a new 9448+ (7 zones) is about £30 (plus the VAT)
covers the same surface area and uses the same mounting holes.

Sorry that is the best he could offer. He is a bloody good alarm
engineer, an ex neighbour and sometimes, like today, someone I work with
(our firm uses his firm sometimes for alarm installations).

Best of luck with it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2017 15:20, F wrote:

The panel is probably turn of the century or older: the manual's part
number is dated January 1992 and I was emailing Scantronic about it in
2003! Images at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...ntronic%209448

I guess - 0541

And you would be wrong... and I'm not responding to any more guesses!

0514

All 10 numbers on our shop panel are worn off I don't remember what the
number is only the pattern in which the keys are pressed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:
On 26/02/2017 17:28, F wrote:
On 26/02/2017 16:33, ARW wrote:
On 25/02/2017 15:20, F wrote:
On 24/02/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 20:05, F wrote:
On 23/02/2017 19:45, ARW wrote:
On 23/02/2017 17:04, F wrote:
On 19/02/2017 08:40, ARW wrote:
On 18/02/2017 10:07, F wrote:
On 15/02/2017 11:43, F wrote:
[...]

And... fingers crossed, the reset seems to have done the trick. Thank
you, and please thank your friend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 09/03/2017 20:20, F wrote:
On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:

Best of luck with it.

And... fingers crossed, the reset seems to have done the trick. Thank
you, and please thank your friend.

I'll tell him, and thanks for the follow up.

I always prefer to repair than replace[1]. It's not the money, it's the
satisfaction of been able to do something other than joining the throw
away society.

[1] That does not apply to CRT TVs or monitors:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

I always prefer to repair than replace[1]. It's not the money, it's the
satisfaction of been able to do something other than joining the throw
away society.

[1] That does not apply to CRT TVs or monitors:-)

Oh dear! I obviously wasted the time I spent on this, then:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf3gjuz2f5...ich_RF_Distrib
ution_V4.2a.png?dl=0

or https://tinyurl.com/museum-distribution

Incidentally, where it says 'SHED', think Swiss Chalet - it
will help to put it in perspective ...

--

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2017 19:18, ARW wrote:
On 09/03/2017 20:20, F wrote:
On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:

Best of luck with it.

And... fingers crossed, the reset seems to have done the trick. Thank
you, and please thank your friend.

I'll tell him, and thanks for the follow up.

Tell him I spoke too soon! Just the one unwarranted panic alarm so far
and, having looked at the wiring inside, I'm in no hurry to replace the
panel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2017 14:23, F wrote:
On 10/03/2017 19:18, ARW wrote:
On 09/03/2017 20:20, F wrote:
On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:

Best of luck with it.

And... fingers crossed, the reset seems to have done the trick. Thank
you, and please thank your friend.

I'll tell him, and thanks for the follow up.

Tell him I spoke too soon! Just the one unwarranted panic alarm so far
and, having looked at the wiring inside, I'm in no hurry to replace the
panel.

Sorry it did not work.

They are quite easy to swap.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 16/03/2017 14:23, F wrote:
On 10/03/2017 19:18, ARW wrote:
On 09/03/2017 20:20, F wrote:
On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:

Best of luck with it.

And... fingers crossed, the reset seems to have done the trick. Thank
you, and please thank your friend.

I'll tell him, and thanks for the follow up.

Tell him I spoke too soon! Just the one unwarranted panic alarm so far
and, having looked at the wiring inside, I'm in no hurry to replace the
panel.

Sorry it did not work.

They are quite easy to swap.

Yebut, if you take a look at the congestion with the number of cables at
top right of
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...ntronic%209448 I
don't fancy the screeching from the sounder when it takes an age to
extract them install the new panel, and then reinstall!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 15:35, F wrote:
On 16/03/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 16/03/2017 14:23, F wrote:
On 10/03/2017 19:18, ARW wrote:
On 09/03/2017 20:20, F wrote:
On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:

Best of luck with it.

And... fingers crossed, the reset seems to have done the trick. Thank
you, and please thank your friend.

I'll tell him, and thanks for the follow up.

Tell him I spoke too soon! Just the one unwarranted panic alarm so far
and, having looked at the wiring inside, I'm in no hurry to replace the
panel.

Sorry it did not work.

They are quite easy to swap.

Yebut, if you take a look at the congestion with the number of cables at
top right of
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...ntronic%209448 I
don't fancy the screeching from the sounder when it takes an age to
extract them install the new panel, and then reinstall!

Nothing to it:-)

A sharpie pen to mark off the cables with dashes, several photos before
you start to disassemble and off you go.

The cables at the top right are mostly +12 and 0v using yellow and blue
cores with an extra cable using the red and black cores.

Take more photos if you need and I will talk you though how to swap the
panel.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 22:14, ARW wrote:
On 17/03/2017 15:35, F wrote:
On 16/03/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 16/03/2017 14:23, F wrote:
On 10/03/2017 19:18, ARW wrote:
On 09/03/2017 20:20, F wrote:
On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:

[...]

Thanks! The concern is the number of cables to stuff into a small hole.

I've got a couple of other jobs to finish yet, like installing some
wireless IP cameras that don't want to make a stable connection, then
I'll pluck up courage and go for it. Photos will be a necessity!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2017 12:37, F wrote:
On 17/03/2017 22:14, ARW wrote:
On 17/03/2017 15:35, F wrote:
On 16/03/2017 17:41, ARW wrote:
On 16/03/2017 14:23, F wrote:
On 10/03/2017 19:18, ARW wrote:
On 09/03/2017 20:20, F wrote:
On 28/02/2017 19:05, ARW wrote:

[...]

email me or make another post before you swap it.

I have swapped hundreds of panels and it would be rude not to pass on
any tips I have learnt from doing so.

--
Adam

burglar alarm, again! Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 6 December 12th 14 03:56 PM
burglar alarm stuart noble UK diy 4 May 21st 12 12:43 AM
Connecting smoke alarm to burglar alarm robgraham UK diy 6 November 30th 10 10:00 AM
Burglar alarm Fred UK diy 4 January 21st 08 04:33 PM
Burglar Alarm Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 April 7th 05 01:04 AM