Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rotary brush device on vacuum cleaner

It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel thing.
It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has the
rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Yeah, plenty of the big upright ones do.
https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/medi...lifter-pet.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2017 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Our Henry turbo one works on carpet, but you do need to keep it clean.

Upright is the obvious answer - they pretty much all do what you're
after. They still need looking after, but some are probably less likely
to break belts than others.

Some make electric brush heads for cylinder cleaners. Eg

https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/flo...name=SEB_216-2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some Dysans used to do this but the hose is then quite expensive of course
having to have wires for the low voltage motor in it.
Also the ones that revolve with air do seem to lose their frictionless
operation very quickly and get bunged up with the muck the beating tends to
liberate. the best vacuum for beating and brushing had to be the vintage
Hoover Juniors, though you needed a good stock of belts which shredded a lot
since they were not only in the suction path but drove through a 90 degree w
twist and slipped if something stalled the brush.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel thing.
It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has the
rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

You need more suck Bill. We have a couple of the 'suck powered'
brushes and the work well.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Some Dysans used to do this but the hose is then quite expensive of course
having to have wires for the low voltage motor in it.
Also the ones that revolve with air do seem to lose their frictionless
operation very quickly and get bunged up with the muck the beating tends to
liberate. the best vacuum for beating and brushing had to be the vintage
Hoover Juniors, though you needed a good stock of belts which shredded a lot
since they were not only in the suction path but drove through a 90 degree w
twist and slipped if something stalled the brush.
Brian

The whole point of the suction driven brushes is surely that you can
use them on chairs and other off ground areas. They're not intended
for doing the floor are they?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2017 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill

I've got a bag-less machine which came from Lidl which has a
vacuum-driven rotary brush and that works fine provided the filters are
cleaned regularly in order to make sure that there's plenty of suck.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 2:25:23 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill

Miele do a few

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miele-SEB-2.../dp/B002QKL1AA

but why they call it a tooth brush beats me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 10:15:22 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

On 14/02/2017 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's
a fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that
has the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill

I've got a bag-less machine which came from Lidl which has a
vacuum-driven rotary brush and that works fine provided the filters are
cleaned regularly in order to make sure that there's plenty of suck.

Same here with the Henry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/17 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill

I was in Canada in the early 70s. I was surprised to see several
cylinder vacuum cleaners available with precisely the sort of electric
motor-powered head you are referring to. I often wondered if it was a
matter of safety (120 vs 240V) that stopped them being made available in
the UK.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

'It beats as it sweeps as it cleans'

Worked perfectly for years and years until someone wanted to re-invent the
wheel.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 02:25:21 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has the rotary brush propelled
properly, by a motor?

I've not come across any uprights that haven't had a driven beater
bar. The battery powered Dyson V6 does as well and probably it's
variants.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2017 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Having a Henry with red coloured air brush with a friendly face that
actually works very well[1] I purchased a 'no brand' similar item for
another vacuum cleaner. Yep, it was absolutely crap and as you found it
stops spinning as soon as it makes contact with the floor. There are
also the no name models that don't stop spinning - because the brushes
never make contact with anything.

[1] solid objects such as paper clips or small bits of plaster etc. will
jam up the vanes that drives the belt to the brush head. This can
usually be freed up by just rotating the brush by hand until the
offending object falls out. Sometimes the screw driver has to come out
to dismantle the head! Ideal for cleaning carpets full of trodden in saw
dust but not to good where the debris is more solid/larger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well if they are they are no good. The narrow ones sort of work but the full
width one reduce the suction so much you liberate stuff and it just lies on
the carpet. Only the hoovers seemed to work, as they were epright cleaners.
I had a panasonic one but its belt was way too slack. they should have used
a toothed one to get it to work.

My vax is just a stand by now since its lost some suction but there appears
to be no bunged up bits. I suspect there is something a bit naff inside the
compressor bit itself due to poor filtering.
Brian

--
----- -

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most of the ones I've come across seem to use a dc motor or some kind of
speed controlled motor like on Dysans hand held ones. The wiring in the
flexible hose is often the weak link. Some bright individual put a battery
powered one on the market but it was so heavy on the end of the thing that
it made using it a real pain.
Briajn

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
On 14/02/17 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill

I was in Canada in the early 70s. I was surprised to see several cylinder
vacuum cleaners available with precisely the sort of electric
motor-powered head you are referring to. I often wondered if it was a
matter of safety (120 vs 240V) that stopped them being made available in
the UK.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/14/2017 2:25 AM, Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Bill

Dyson, both the "cylinder" and "cordless" ones, for a start. There have
been others in the past.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a
fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

'It beats as it sweeps as it cleans'

Worked perfectly for years and years until someone wanted to re-invent the
wheel.

Yes, my 1930s one would beat an eggbox to death and consume it! I
replaced it in a moment of folly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the
movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel
thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops.

Take the head apart and clean out all the pubes/dog-hairs and other
crap, give it a squirt of silicone lubricant.

Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has
the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?

Some Miele vacuums have an 'electrobrush'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

The whole point of the suction driven brushes is surely that you can
use them on chairs and other off ground areas. They're not intended
for doing the floor are they?

Err, yes they're for use on carpets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Numatic-Vac.../dp/B00AO0QQ9U

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

The whole point of the suction driven brushes is surely that you can
use them on chairs and other off ground areas. They're not intended
for doing the floor are they?

Err, yes they're for use on carpets.

Well I've never used ours on a carpet, I use the vacuum in normal
upright mode for that. The suck driven brush (that came as part of
the upright's accessories) I use on upholstery etc. I think it's
actually *called* an upholstery brush.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

The whole point of the suction driven brushes is surely that you can
use them on chairs and other off ground areas. They're not intended
for doing the floor are they?

Err, yes they're for use on carpets.

Well I've never used ours on a carpet, I use the vacuum in normal
upright mode for that.

Does the upright section not have a rotating brush?

The suck driven brush (that came as part of
the upright's accessories) I use on upholstery etc. I think it's
actually *called* an upholstery brush.

Mine's a cylinder, not upright, the standard floor head is the turbo
brush (as mentioned earlier some models have electro brushes) it also
came with a soft bristle head for wood floors.

https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/floorheads-and-nozzles-2203.htm?mat=07250020&name=STB_205-2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about USA Central Vacuum Systems. Do they have anything? If I was
building a house I would include a central vacuum system. Big noisy sucker
out in the garage!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Green
writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
Some Dysans used to do this but the hose is then quite expensive of course
having to have wires for the low voltage motor in it.
Also the ones that revolve with air do seem to lose their frictionless
operation very quickly and get bunged up with the muck the beating tends to
liberate. the best vacuum for beating and brushing had to be the vintage
Hoover Juniors, though you needed a good stock of belts which shredded a lot
since they were not only in the suction path but drove through a 90 degree w
twist and slipped if something stalled the brush.
Brian

The whole point of the suction driven brushes is surely that you can
use them on chairs and other off ground areas. They're not intended
for doing the floor are they?

Dyson DC05 Animal would suck off anything.
--
bert

Rotary pipe brush John Rumm UK diy 8 March 31st 14 07:08 PM
paint brush cleaner and renovator? Norman Billingham[_2_] UK diy 3 June 24th 09 10:07 PM
iRobot R3 500 series replacement brush kit (inc. Bristle brush,beater brush, side brush with screw and brush cleaning tool) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 22nd 09 01:43 PM
Dandy Paint Brush Cleaner Steven Campbell[_3_] UK diy 26 March 9th 08 12:58 PM