Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rotary pipe brush

I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe de-burring
and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can spend
cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when they are
in difficult places.

Anyone know of a supplier here for similar brushes?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe
de-burring and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can
spend cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when
they are in difficult places.

Anyone know of a supplier here for similar brushes?

hundreds of them of fleabay:
http://snipurl.com/28qlrvk

this is probably what you are looking for though, a 13mm version:
http://snipurl.com/28qlsb4

hundreds of other results he
http://snipurl.com/28qlsjx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2014 13:33, Phil L wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe
de-burring and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can
spend cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when
they are in difficult places.

Anyone know of a supplier here for similar brushes?

hundreds of them of fleabay:
http://snipurl.com/28qlrvk

this is probably what you are looking for though, a 13mm version:
http://snipurl.com/28qlsb4

hundreds of other results he
http://snipurl.com/28qlsjx

No, nothing like any of them... those are just ordinary wire brushes.

This was a specific tool for pipes - fully enclosed (you could not see
any brush as such) - it plugs over the end of the pipe and de-burrs the
inside and cleans the outside in one action.

Wicks, have a blue manual brush that is similar in concept, except its
not mountable on a drill and uses both ends (22mm one, 15mm the other).

I have something more like:

http://www.amazon.com/Weiler-Brush-3...A6GY4ZXAMRA J

in mind

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe de-burring
and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can spend
cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when they are in
difficult places.

Anyone know of a supplier here for similar brushes?

Monument used to make such a thing.
http://www.4pipetools.com/ENGLISH/ca...eaning%20Tools

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2014 18:46, harryagain wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe de-burring
and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can spend
cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when they are in
difficult places.

Anyone know of a supplier here for similar brushes?

Monument used to make such a thing.
http://www.4pipetools.com/ENGLISH/ca...eaning%20Tools

I suppose the ratchet one is heading in the right direction - would be
easier to use on pipes tight to a wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm scribbled...

I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe de-burring
and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can spend
cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when they are
in difficult places.

It's usual practice to clean copper tubing before you install it. If
you're worried about the ends getting dirty, clean - flux and put a
cleaned & fluxed joint over the end - keep it in place with sellotape.

Anyone know of a supplier here for similar brushes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2014 11:20, Artic wrote:
John Rumm scribbled...

I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe de-burring
and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can spend
cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when they are
in difficult places.

It's usual practice to clean copper tubing before you install it. If

Indeed it is, and I do ;-)

However its rare for plumbing to be installed in complete isolation, it
normally needs connecting to existing stuff. So even there you end up
cleaning installed pipes as well as the new ones. When those are old
crusty, against a wall, and covered in paint you can wast a surprising
amount of time getting them into a fit state to make connection to.

you're worried about the ends getting dirty, clean - flux and put a
cleaned & fluxed joint over the end - keep it in place with sellotape.

The flux would leave it rather green in a matter of hours!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe
de-burring and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can
spend cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when
they are in difficult places.

Lost time ... honestly ?

I have 15 & 20mm pipe brushes on small wooden handles, it take 3 - 5
turns at most to clean a pipe or fitting, 5sec 10 if I went slowly.
It would take longer to fit a brush into a drill.

You can also use them anywhere you can get your hand to ... be much
harder with a battery drill attached.

They are over 20 yrs old and still going fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe
de-burring and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill.

It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can
spend cleaning up pipe ends prior to soldering etc - especially when
they are in difficult places.

Lost time ... honestly ?

I have 15 & 20mm pipe brushes on small wooden handles, it take 3 - 5
turns at most to clean a pipe or fitting, 5sec 10 if I went slowly.

My manual one is fairly quick and easy on free pipe ends - but the time
still adds up by the time you have done 20 ends or more.

It would take longer to fit a brush into a drill.

Only if using your teeth instead of a chuck key ;-)

You can also use them anywhere you can get your hand to ... be much
harder with a battery drill attached.

They are over 20 yrs old and still going fine.

I find a pipe brush is pretty shagged after a few years. Specially if
cleaning off the ends of painted pipes for rad valves etc.

--
Cheers,

John.