Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roller Shutter Door

Maybe a daft question!

I have an aluminimum roller shutter door I bought through eBay. It is manual and has a spring down the centre of the "roll".

I have now fixed the brackets to the wall and looking how it will unroll, for my purposes it will be the wrong way round i.e. the outer face will face into the garage.

Is there any reason I can't lay the door on the floor, totally unroll it, unpin/unbolt it from the roller and then turn it around so that I have the face I want facing outwards?

Does that make sense?

(In other words this looks like it was designed to go inside the garage and I only have space to hang it outside.)

Cheers

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 00:02:26 UTC, puffernutter wrote:
Maybe a daft question!

I have an aluminimum roller shutter door I bought through eBay. It is manual and has a spring down the centre of the "roll".

I have now fixed the brackets to the wall and looking how it will unroll, for my purposes it will be the wrong way round i.e. the outer face will face into the garage.

Is there any reason I can't lay the door on the floor, totally unroll it, unpin/unbolt it from the roller and then turn it around so that I have the face I want facing outwards?

Does that make sense?

(In other words this looks like it was designed to go inside the garage and I only have space to hang it outside.)

Cheers

Peter

Why not just turn the whole thing round?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"puffernutter" wrote in message

Maybe a daft question!

I have an aluminimum roller shutter door I bought through eBay. It is
manual and has a spring down the centre of the "roll".

I have now fixed the brackets to the wall and looking how it will unroll,
for my purposes it will be the wrong way round i.e. the outer face will
face into the garage.

Is there any reason I can't lay the door on the floor, totally unroll it,
unpin/unbolt it from the roller and then turn it around so that I have the
face I want facing outwards?

Does that make sense?

(In other words this looks like it was designed to go inside the garage and
I only have space to hang it outside.)

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Check that that the 'hinge action' between individual slats is happy bending
'the other way'. I had two heavy galvanised steel ones at my last place -
both bought s/h. Due to the way the edges of the slats had been cupped
together, one would reverse bend and the other wouldn't . The one that
wouldn't had significantly more curvature to the slat.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 08:22:10 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

All,

Thanks for the advice so far.

The door won't actually be outside, it's protected by a carport. If I just turn it around then the door will unroll away from the front face, where I need it to unroll down the front face.

I'll unroll it on the drive and see if it will bend both ways!

Cheers

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 8:45:11 AM UTC, puffernutter wrote:
[...]

I'd be careful when releasing the spring. The spring on ours is very strong and releasing it requires care.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

puffernutter submitted this idea :
Is there any reason I can't lay the door on the floor, totally unroll it,
unpin/unbolt it from the roller and then turn it around so that I have the
face I want facing outwards?

Does that make sense?

I have a powered roller. It was designed to install inside the garage,
or outside. The slats in the roll are only able to bend one way and I
suspect yours will be the same.

Fitted inside, it just needs the large square mounting brackets. Fitted
outside, it requires those brackets plus a full width top cover to keep
the weather out.

Why would you want to reverse the slats, is one side a different
colour?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 13:47:57 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
puffernutter submitted this idea :
Is there any reason I can't lay the door on the floor, totally unroll it,
unpin/unbolt it from the roller and then turn it around so that I have the
face I want facing outwards?

Does that make sense?

I have a powered roller. It was designed to install inside the garage,
or outside. The slats in the roll are only able to bend one way and I
suspect yours will be the same.

Fitted inside, it just needs the large square mounting brackets. Fitted
outside, it requires those brackets plus a full width top cover to keep
the weather out.

Why would you want to reverse the slats, is one side a different
colour?

Different colour and locking mechanism will be on the inside. The roller in under a car port, so weather is not an issue.

I'll have to investigate this a bit further....

Cheers

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

A photo or two might help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 15:44:17 UTC, GB wrote:
A photo or two might help.

Problem solved, or more accurately, problem now identified!

It is non-reversible, so I am stuck with it the way it is! I can either build out 16" to take the runners or see what sort "S" bend the door will run through and try and get it flush to the face of the garage.

Cheers

Peter

Roller Shutter Door repair Bill[_18_] UK diy 4 January 18th 17 12:02 AM
Remote control for roller shutter door Fredxxx UK diy 2 October 28th 16 12:58 AM
Garage roller shutter door kev UK diy 3 October 20th 14 08:46 PM
Garage roller shutter door recommendations? Bob[_62_] UK diy 15 September 18th 14 09:58 PM
small industrial roller shutter door Tim Lamb UK diy 2 November 26th 07 08:59 AM