Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default drilling through studs?

Hello,

Is it possible/allowed to drill or notch studs in a stud wall;
especially if it is not load bearing?

I did remove the plasterboard wall from my bathroom wall once and
found that the studs had been notched to allow an overflow pipe to
pass through, from when the airing cupboard had been located in there
many years before. The wall had not fallen down, which suggests it is
structurally ok, but is it seen as a bodge?

Can you drill holes for cables, provided they are in the right zones?
I'm thinking it might avoid problems of running cable through the loft
space, where insulation may cover the cable.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible/allowed to drill or notch studs in a stud wall;
especially if it is not load bearing?

I did remove the plasterboard wall from my bathroom wall once and
found that the studs had been notched to allow an overflow pipe to
pass through, from when the airing cupboard had been located in there
many years before. The wall had not fallen down, which suggests it is
structurally ok, but is it seen as a bodge?

Can you drill holes for cables, provided they are in the right zones?
I'm thinking it might avoid problems of running cable through the loft
space, where insulation may cover the cable.

Thanks,
Stephen.

It's done every day in every new build in the UK, so my answer is yes, it's
ok.

Keep th holes for cables/pipes etc in the centre of the stud o that
plasterboard screws/nails don't puncture them.
Keep pipes and cables a min of 100mm apart going through studs.

Don't notch, it's asking for trouble

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use these to prevent nails and screws from going into the cable/pipe

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-p...-20-pack/30038

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 February 2017 09:16:52 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use these to prevent nails and screws from going into the cable/pipe

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-p...-20-pack/30038

Richard

yes, if you're too dim to use a pencil.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 February 2017 09:16:52 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use these to prevent nails and screws from going into the cable/pipe

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-p...-20-pack/30038

Richard

yes, if you're too dim to use a pencil.

NT

I think they are designed for more long term protection rather than the immediate fitting of plasterboard.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 February 2017 09:19:39 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Friday, 10 February 2017 09:16:52 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use these to prevent nails and screws from going into the cable/pipe

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-p...-20-pack/30038

Richard

yes, if you're too dim to use a pencil.

I think they are designed for more long term protection rather than the immediate fitting of plasterboard.

Richard

Indeed. Still unnecessary though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Saturday, 11 February 2017 09:19:39 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Friday, 10 February 2017 09:16:52 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use these to prevent nails and screws from going into the cable/pipe

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-p...-20-pack/30038

Richard

yes, if you're too dim to use a pencil.

I think they are designed for more long term protection rather than
the immediate fitting of plasterboard.

Richard

Indeed. Still unnecessary though.

There's no need for these if the holes are drilled in the centre of the
stud, unless someone decides to use 50mm+ plasterboard screws, in which case
they need electrocuting.