Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door chain for PVC front door

On Sun, 05 Feb 2017 22:55:29 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 2/5/2017 9:17 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire explained on 05/02/2017 :
PVC frame will have steel structure somewhere behind it.

The somewhere is the problem.

Small metal detector?

Rare earth magnet will localise it better.

Couldn't you spell neodymium? :-)

IME the only good way to do
it is to explore with a small drill, and hope you can conceal "misses".
This was what I did when fitting a stair gate hinge for son-in-law. In
that case I was happy that self tappers (in shear) would be strong enough.

--
Reason to smile: Every 7 minutes of every day, someone in an aerobics class pulls a hamstring.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2017 18:04, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames any
good?

No.

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's identity
and intent.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Never mind door chains this aspect of human behaviour seems to be becoming a
problem. I have fitted a large box with a large button on it which is the
front end of my door phone. People complained before they could not see I
had a bell and knocked. Nobody can miss this one, but they still knock. The
big problem with these cordless intercoms is you cannot open the
conversation from inside since the bell button has to be pressed to turn on
the outside tx/rx part to save batteries.
I did have an old wired one but that did at least work both ways until some
herbert bashed the bell so hard it broke off inside the speaker box.
My current idea is to resurect the old system but just have it as an
intercom controlled from inside to sort out the knocking brigade. I have a
nice little horn speaker I might fit over the door. It will need a capacitor
in series with it though since the bell part of this old intercom is
operated by shorting out the intercom wire.. I don't want two bells in any
case the cordless one is for summer incase i get some time to go into my
garden!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Last night at about 9PM in the dark there was a knock at the front door.
People never seem to see the door bell.
It was this dairy guy asking me if I'd like him to deliver milk. I
politely asked him if he could tell the time, he said "Sorry" and cleared
off.
If this had been 5 or 6 VERY big lads intent on no good I could have been
in trouble, even though I'm a big guy.

Question is:
Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames any
good?
I can't see the screws holding out against a good kick.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 February 2017 19:01:51 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
harry wrote:
On Sunday, 5 February 2017 18:04:57 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Last night at about 9PM in the dark there was a knock at the front
door. People never seem to see the door bell.
It was this dairy guy asking me if I'd like him to deliver milk. I
politely asked him if he could tell the time, he said "Sorry" and
cleared off.
If this had been 5 or 6 VERY big lads intent on no good I could have
been in trouble, even though I'm a big guy.

Question is:
Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames
any good?
I can't see the screws holding out against a good kick.

Thanks

Google door restrainers.

What you want to consider is either a peep hole thingy or a video
camera/audio link. You can get ones that bring up a picture on the
TV. Plus a recorder if you want.

Door restrainers does not bring up very much.
I think a peep hole could be an idea.
A camera would blow my mind, I spent ages today working out why the telly
was not pushing sound through the speakers!
Thanks Harry.

I was thinking of this sort of thing.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames any
good?

No.

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's identity and
intent.

I'm not that mindlessly paranoid and the door is normally unlocked so that
those I know can just walk in without me bothering to get up and unlock it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Never mind door chains this aspect of human behaviour seems to be becoming
a problem.

Not for me.

I have fitted a large box with a large button on it which is the front end
of my door phone.

I havent bothered.

People complained before they could not see I had a bell and knocked.
Nobody can miss this one, but they still knock.

Plenty of parcel delivery people say the same thing.

The big problem with these cordless intercoms is you cannot open the
conversation from inside since the bell button has to be pressed to turn
on the outside tx/rx part to save batteries.

Not true of the best designed ones.

I did have an old wired one but that did at least work both ways until
some herbert bashed the bell so hard it broke off inside the speaker box.

You should have had one that executed arseholes like that.

My current idea is to resurect the old system but just have it as an
intercom controlled from inside to sort out the knocking brigade.

Don’t get anything like a brigade show up myself.

I have a nice little horn speaker I might fit over the door. It will need
a capacitor in series with it though since the bell part of this old
intercom is operated by shorting out the intercom wire.. I don't want two
bells in any case the cordless one is for summer incase i get some time to
go into my garden!

Makes more sense to have a phone that the door
knockers use and then you can still talk to them when
you are slumming it in the greek islands or spain etc.

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Last night at about 9PM in the dark there was a knock at the front door.
People never seem to see the door bell.
It was this dairy guy asking me if I'd like him to deliver milk. I
politely asked him if he could tell the time, he said "Sorry" and cleared
off.
If this had been 5 or 6 VERY big lads intent on no good I could have been
in trouble, even though I'm a big guy.

Question is:
Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames any
good?
I can't see the screws holding out against a good kick.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2017 09:36, Rod Speed wrote:
Bill Wright wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames
any good?

No.

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's identity
and intent.

I'm not that mindlessly paranoid and the door is normally unlocked so that
those I know can just walk in without me bothering to get up and unlock it.

Same here. I suggest the OP move to a safer/decent area.
I also forget to lock the car on many occasions and it never worries us.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 20:47:10 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Why are you scared of people I'm not?

I asked here for assistance and I got it from decent people who
like to help.

A few episodes of "won't pay we'll take it away" will show you how
bailiffs can force an entry if necessary. A good deterrent seems to
be a noisy terrier! In the end of course, better to come to some
arrangement to pay your debts!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:28:38 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 06/02/2017 09:36, Rod Speed wrote:
Bill Wright wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames
any good?

No.

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's identity
and intent.

I'm not that mindlessly paranoid and the door is normally unlocked so that
those I know can just walk in without me bothering to get up and unlock it.

Same here. I suggest the OP move to a safer/decent area.
I also forget to lock the car on many occasions and it never worries us.

Funny, Steve lives in the north where everyone is nice. Or was he making that up?

--
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-06, mechanic wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 20:47:10 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Why are you scared of people I'm not?

I asked here for assistance and I got it from decent people who
like to help.

A few episodes of "won't pay we'll take it away" will show you how
bailiffs can force an entry if necessary.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...nto-your-home/

So they can force open your door, but they can't push you out of the way. So if you simply stand in your doorway, they cannot legally enter?

--
Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 20:47:10 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Why are you scared of people I'm not?

I asked here for assistance and I got it from decent people who
like to help.

A few episodes of "won't pay we'll take it away" will show you how
bailiffs can force an entry if necessary. A good deterrent seems to
be a noisy terrier!

A ****ing great alsatian or rotty works a hell of a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
On 06/02/2017 09:36, Rod Speed wrote:
Bill Wright wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames
any good?

No.

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's
identity and intent.

I'm not that mindlessly paranoid and the door is normally unlocked
so that those I know can just walk in without me bothering to get up
and unlock it.

As for those that you don't know? As always the drugged up caravan dweller
has missed my point. Contribution to my question = zero.

Same here. I suggest the OP move to a safer/decent area.

I have done and guess what?
It's not a wooden caravan dripping with condensation on the inside.
From memory:
"It's grotty and you can't swing a cat around inside"
(Peter Hucker)

I also forget to lock the car on many occasions and it never worries
us.

That is the height of stupidity; well done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 21:20:57 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Bod wrote:
On 06/02/2017 09:36, Rod Speed wrote:
Bill Wright wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames
any good?

No.

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's
identity and intent.

I'm not that mindlessly paranoid and the door is normally unlocked
so that those I know can just walk in without me bothering to get up
and unlock it.

As for those that you don't know? As always the drugged up caravan dweller
has missed my point. Contribution to my question = zero.

Same here. I suggest the OP move to a safer/decent area.

I have done

Clearly not if you're scared of teenagers.

and guess what?
It's not a wooden caravan dripping with condensation on the inside.
From memory:

You really can't tell when someone's taking the **** out of you can you?

I also forget to lock the car on many occasions and it never worries
us.

That is the height of stupidity; well done.

It's not stupid if the car isn't stolen. Why do you live in an area where cars are stolen?

--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Bod wrote:
On 06/02/2017 09:36, Rod Speed wrote:
Bill Wright wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and
frames any good?

No.

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's
identity and intent.

I'm not that mindlessly paranoid and the door is normally unlocked
so that those I know can just walk in without me bothering to get
up and unlock it.

As for those that you don't know? As always the drugged up caravan
dweller has missed my point. Contribution to my question = zero.

Same here. I suggest the OP move to a safer/decent area.

I have done

Clearly not if you're scared of teenagers.

Did you understand my initial post?
You really are a very stupid person. I won't say that you are a man,
because you are not.

and guess what?
It's not a wooden caravan dripping with condensation on the inside.
From memory:
"It's grotty and you can't swing a cat around inside"
(Peter Hucker)

You really can't tell when someone's taking the **** out of you can
you?

You said the above and you meant it.

I also forget to lock the car on many occasions and it never worries
us.

That is the height of stupidity; well done.

It's not stupid if the car isn't stolen. Why do you live in an area
where cars are stolen?

What a fool you really are Mr Hucker.
Why must you always speak back when Bod can't?
Anyway, you have been entertaining tonight, it's been fun taking the ****
out of you.
We are off out for a posh nosh now.
Tell us all about you spending Xmas and New Year all alone in your ********
hovel, cold, damp lonely home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Bod wrote:
[...]

I'm not the one cowering in his home.

and guess what?
It's not a wooden caravan dripping with condensation on the inside.
From memory:

No, I was taking the **** out of you, as I have done ever since I've known you.

I also forget to lock the car on many occasions and it never worries
us.

That is the height of stupidity; well done.

It's not stupid if the car isn't stolen. Why do you live in an area
where cars are stolen?

What a fool you really are Mr Hucker.
Why must you always speak back when Bod can't?

He will reply at some point, but newsgroups are a free for all, anyone can reply.

You don't have the mental capacity to do so. Even before your stroke or whatever ****ed you up.

We are off out for a posh nosh now.
Tell us all about you spending Xmas and New Year all alone in your ********
hovel, cold, damp lonely home.

My home is the way I like it.

--
What's the difference between a hooker and a drug dealer?
A hooker can wash her crack and sell it again.

Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset Kate[_5_] Home Repair 8 May 19th 12 02:23 PM
Fix Security Chain to UPVC Door Steve Walker UK diy 2 March 14th 07 04:53 PM
Garage door chain not moving jaybear Home Repair 5 January 8th 07 06:18 PM
door chain upvc door gort UK diy 5 December 24th 06 02:01 PM
Garage door opener chain paps Home Repair 4 August 24th 06 07:44 PM