Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default SELV extractor fan switching

Have a need to place an extractor fan within reach of a shower so
obviously have to fit a 12V one. No problem there, but I would like it
to be humidistat switched, looking around I could only find a limited
number of examples.

Has anyone used one of the separate humidistat switches, switching the
transformer and does it cause any problems?
Or do I have to hunt for a mains powered switch with volt free contacts
and switch the 12V side?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/17 17:19, Lee wrote:
Have a need to place an extractor fan within reach of a shower so
obviously have to fit a 12V one. No problem there, but I would like it
to be humidistat switched, looking around I could only find a limited
number of examples.

Has anyone used one of the separate humidistat switches, switching the
transformer and does it cause any problems?
Or do I have to hunt for a mains powered switch with volt free contacts
and switch the 12V side?

I don't see why it should cause any problems switching the PSU.

Manrose humidistats are good (I have one) and also contain a run on
timer and auxiliary switch input to which you can wire a pull cored
momentary switch[1] to force the fan on for a time if required.

[1] Use the MK disabled alarm switch for this and buy a white cord to
replace the red one. Looks like any other pull cored when done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Lee Wrote in message:
Have a need to place an extractor fan within reach of a shower so
obviously have to fit a 12V one. No problem there, but I would like it
to be humidistat switched, looking around I could only find a limited
number of examples.

Has anyone used one of the separate humidistat switches, switching the
transformer and does it cause any problems?
Or do I have to hunt for a mains powered switch with volt free contacts
and switch the 12V side?

Istr some mains ones are allowed in that location
, I have one to
fit somewhere..

Ah yes QT100

Also has humidistat version

Info
http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/a...-qt100-and-qt1
20-review-95-c.asp
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 02/02/2017 17:23, jim wrote:
Lee Wrote in message:
Have a need to place an extractor fan within reach of a shower so
obviously have to fit a 12V one. No problem there, but I would like it
to be humidistat switched, looking around I could only find a limited
number of examples.

Has anyone used one of the separate humidistat switches, switching the
transformer and does it cause any problems?
Or do I have to hunt for a mains powered switch with volt free contacts
and switch the 12V side?

Istr some mains ones are allowed in that location
, I have one to
fit somewhere..

Ah yes QT100

Also has humidistat version

Info
http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/a...-qt100-and-qt1
20-review-95-c.asp

Ooh, definitely worth considering, the back draught shutter would be a
nice to have feature in this location, as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 02/02/2017 17:28, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/02/17 17:19, Lee wrote:
Have a need to place an extractor fan within reach of a shower so
obviously have to fit a 12V one. No problem there, but I would like it
to be humidistat switched, looking around I could only find a limited
number of examples.

Has anyone used one of the separate humidistat switches, switching the
transformer and does it cause any problems?
Or do I have to hunt for a mains powered switch with volt free contacts
and switch the 12V side?

I don't see why it should cause any problems switching the PSU.

Manrose humidistats are good (I have one) and also contain a run on
timer and auxiliary switch input to which you can wire a pull cored
momentary switch[1] to force the fan on for a time if required.

[1] Use the MK disabled alarm switch for this and buy a white cord to
replace the red one. Looks like any other pull cored when done.

Maybe I was over-thinking whether the contacts would like the inductive
load of the transformer.

But the IP rated mains fan mentioned
up-thread looks promising instead
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/17 17:19, Lee wrote:
[...]

The PSU will probably be switch mode and not the big toroidal massive
inrush beast you may be thinking of

But it is worth checking - does the fan come with its PSU and if so,
does it say waht type it is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 02/02/2017 19:38, Tim Watts wrote:

The PSU will probably be switch mode and not the big toroidal massive
inrush beast you may be thinking of

But it is worth checking - does the fan come with its PSU and if so,
does it say waht type it is?

Good point, hadn't considered it may have a SMPSU.

The one I was looking at didn't specify and at only 5W the picture of
the largish "transformer" box could easily have contained either

Lee

LED SELV soffit lights Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 4 August 11th 13 09:43 PM
kitchen under wall unit SELV lights - part P?? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 7 November 3rd 12 09:08 AM
RF switching Meepus[_2_] Electronic Schematics 4 March 8th 08 04:58 PM
switching indep Electronics Repair 1 June 8th 06 10:18 PM
SELV a definition? ARWadsworth UK diy 14 May 12th 06 08:11 PM