Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gu10 downlight extension cable?

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 00:00:48 -0000, jim k wrote:

I've fitted a nice ceiling hanging pan rack. Only snag is the
ceiling inset gu10 downlights no longer light the worktop
underneath.

Toying with any & all options....

One possibility is to plug "extension" cables into the gu10
fittings, thread the cables vertically through the mesh of the
pan rack & fit light fittings onto the cable ends?

Any gotchas with that approach?

Anyone got any better ideas?

TIA

If you lookup "GU10 extender" on Ebay, you'll get a GU10 socket with leads coming out of it. You'd have to wire them into the existing fitting. I can't see anything with a GU10 plug already on the end.

--
You can ship a 40 lb child UPS 2nd day air for around $60.00, but don't forget the air holes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

I've fitted a nice ceiling hanging pan rack. Only snag is the
ceiling inset gu10 downlights no longer light the worktop
underneath.

Toying with any & all options....

One possibility is to plug "extension" cables into the gu10
fittings, thread the cables vertically through the mesh of the
pan rack & fit light fittings onto the cable ends?

Any gotchas with that approach?

Anyone got any better ideas?

TIA

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2017 00:00, jim wrote:

I've fitted a nice ceiling hanging pan rack. Only snag is the
ceiling inset gu10 downlights no longer light the worktop
underneath.

Toying with any & all options....

One possibility is to plug "extension" cables into the gu10
fittings, thread the cables vertically through the mesh of the
pan rack & fit light fittings onto the cable ends?

That one sounds *horrible* ;-)

Any gotchas with that approach?

Where do we start?

Anyone got any better ideas?

You need additional lighting elsewhere... LED tape on the underside of
the pan rack perhaps - or better still under a wall cupboard above the
worktop if there is one? A photo might help for more appropriate
suggestions.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 00:00, jim wrote:

I've fitted a nice ceiling hanging pan rack. Only snag is the
ceiling inset gu10 downlights no longer light the worktop
underneath.

Toying with any & all options....

One possibility is to plug "extension" cables into the gu10
fittings, thread the cables vertically through the mesh of the
pan rack & fit light fittings onto the cable ends?

That one sounds *horrible* ;-)

Any gotchas with that approach?

Where do we start?

Beginning :-)

Anyone got any better ideas?

You need additional lighting elsewhere... LED tape on the underside of
the pan rack perhaps - or better still under a wall cupboard above the
worktop if there is one? A photo might help for more appropriate
suggestions.

Not a lot to show really :-)

Think island unit 4ft x 3ft, directly above 3 gu10 inset
downlights with leds. Approx 15" below ceiling, suspended on 4
chains from ceiling timbers, is a chrome metal pan rack a
la.....

http://www.livingnorth.com/sites/def...s/colorbox/pub
lic/images/products/gallery/product-rack.jpg?itok=J4lxeo5r

Given that it's an island theoretically one could want to work at
any side so mounting lights away & angling them in would cause
shadows from ones head/shoulders?
Logically a couple of sources straight above the island (mounted
on the pan rack) would seem simplest & hopefully neatest ? :-D

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2017 15:50, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 00:00, jim wrote:

[...]

ok if its an island worktop, then that limits your options. Any "point"
light sauce on the rack is going to cast shadows of pans at some point,
so you need something diffuse.

Have you considered a rectangular LED panel mounted on the rack itself
(or just above it). It would still cast a shadow, but due to the size of
the light the shadows would be mostly cancelled out.

Say:

https://trade.ledhut.co.uk/commercia...d-bracket.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 15:50, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 00:00, jim wrote:

[...]

Mmm that's big :-)

I envisaged
only hanging smaller less pan like items on the hooks
around the perimeter and the pans themselves sitting on the mesh
shelf (above the lights to be)

Also I think a panel that size might overwhelm the visual appeal
of the rack... but LED panel(s) are a possibility...

Aside from aesthetics, what did you find so.disagreeable about my
original initial idea?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2017 22:12, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 15:50, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 00:00, jim wrote:

[...]

Or possibly LED tape - again you can spread the light source over an
area like that.

Aside from aesthetics, what did you find so.disagreeable about my
original initial idea?

It was not the aesthetics that bothered me that much...

Perhaps I am getting the wrong end of the stick, since I have not seen
one of these extension leads you describe. However the concept of
attempting to extend a cable from a GU10 lampholder seems dubious in the
first place. Then what is on the far end of it? Another complete GU10
light fitting - or are you going to end up with a bare lamp hanging
about in free space?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 22:12, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 15:50, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 31/01/2017 00:00, jim wrote:

[...]

Now that would look ridiculous wouldn't it...

As per op I'm fishing for ideas, I've seen some similar racks with
built in downlights. I can also see a couple of small funky (poss
gu10) pendants suspended from/through the mesh section looking
good.

Simplest way to power them seems to be the existing gu10s above,
a) there are 3
b) I can't see any advantage in lighting up the tops of my pans
with 3 gu10s, so they'd be redundant otherwise & as they are
already there, switched & working seems daft to just discard the
possibilities of re-purposing before ripping out & making
good.

unless there are safety issues? Or other gotcha aspects?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , jim
k@?.? escribió:

unless there are safety issues? Or other gotcha aspects?

If you're gonna be threading wires through the mesh of the pan rack,
you'd better make bloody sure the rack is earthed.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

DC extension cable Bill[_18_] UK diy 10 July 30th 14 08:19 AM
How long can a TV extension cable be? MM UK diy 76 April 14th 11 05:51 PM
Downlight Transformer's 12v secondary/output cable size? steveybar[_2_] UK diy 3 January 6th 09 03:04 PM
Telephone extension cable Dave UK diy 4 October 13th 07 06:00 PM
GU10 downlight compatible with CFL and halogen lamps? [email protected] UK diy 2 March 11th 07 10:24 AM