Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telephone extension cable

We have a BT 3505 digital 3 phone system. The master phone is in the
dining room, a slave phone is in the lounge and the third one is in our
bedroom. (Until recently, we have both been on call 24/7)

The BT telephone cable terminated under the stairs and I ran an
extension to our old phone around the floor, hidden by the carpets.
Due to various changes to the flooring, I am unable to do the same again.

No problem thought I, I'll run it around the ceiling where the eye does
not often travel. In the mean time I slung up a 10 M. extension over the
doors till I could get a round tuit. The other day, I bought a 20 M
extension because I couldn't source a 15 M one. The total wire length
would have been about 10 to 12 M.

Now comes my problem.
After drilling a hole in the wall and passing the plug towards BT's
socket, I pinned it up to run along the ceiling to the socket in the
lounge that shares the internet router and the master digi phone. I used
my mobile to test the line. All was well.

I woke this morning to find a note from my wife, saying that the house
phone was giving the message that the number called was not recognized.
Lo and behold I got the same :-(
Switched back to the 10 M line and everything works fine.

Is this because...

1 I have coiled the excess cable (about 7 M) and slipped an elastic band
around it. Yes, I am aware that they should be twisted pair, but I
suspect, due to the style of cable, that they are not, because I can't
find any cable clips that are small enough to hold it to the wall. But I
could be wrong. Extension is of the type that you can buy anywhere.

2 The cable is now too long for the digi phone.

3 the BT digi phone can not get through the coiled wire.

4 the digi phone can not get enough signal to the BT inlet, because of
the length of extension cable.

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 3:24 pm, Dave wrote:
[...]

Errrr.... what about going cordless? In my house I solved this issue
(cables) buying a Panasonic three-phone cordless system. It has a
"master" (which is a base that also works as an answering machine) and
two remote "stations" that keep the other handsets recharged all the
time. It also allows for communications betwen handsets, remotely
checking voice-mails, etc. I hooked the base to a no-break (UPS) so
that it is not affected by power outages. I've been living happy
thereafter. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 11:24 pm, Dave wrote:
[...]

Surely if you get "number not recognised" (rather than engaged) that's
telling you the exchange is not even trying to connect you the house
becuase it does not recognise the number yo uhave dialled. maybe it
was a temporary blip with the exchange which happened to get fixed as
you changed back to the old cable.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:

On Oct 10, 11:24 pm, Dave wrote:

[...]

Looks like you might be right there. Just switched cables and low and
behold I can do an ET (phone home)

Even so, I'll keep an eye on it for a few days.

Thanks

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rookie_Remodeler wrote:
On Oct 10, 3:24 pm, Dave wrote:

[...]

I am cordless. The only problem is BT's line terminates under the
stairs. This means that I have to use an extension to get to the master
phone, hence my enquiry here.

Dave

Telephone extension not working JoeJoe UK diy 14 October 26th 06 11:32 PM
telephone extension cable Neil UK diy 22 December 28th 05 03:04 PM
Telephone Extension Kit Recommendation Charlie UK diy 11 February 9th 05 09:32 PM
Telephone extension wiring Graeme Eldred UK diy 9 February 4th 05 06:00 AM
Telephone Extension Cable Tony Hayes UK diy 2 July 3rd 03 04:23 PM