Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

Default telephone extension cable

Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside wall
and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside, or is
the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"Neil" wrote in message
Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside

wall
and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside, or

is
the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

aiui - you need uv resistant cable for outside use

Regards Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

"Neil" wrote in message
Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside
wall and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside,
or is the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

I wouldn't bother.

FYI whilst Sky make it a contractual obligation you don't need the extension
at all. If you have the system installed and it works then you can just
leave it at that. Software updates are done via satellite.

The only "benefit" of the telephone connection is so you can "buy"
interactive services of various sorts (all mediocre compared to the www),
also Pay per View movies.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky
installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside

wall
and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside, or

is
the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

aiui - you need uv resistant cable for outside use

Regards Jeff

Jeff is right, but my previous owner used internal cable and it was over 10
years till it fell apart!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:11:57 -0000, "Neil"
wrote:

Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside wall
and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside, or is
the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

There is UV resistant outside stuff and you might prefer to use a
darker colour anyway. However, even the white would deteriorate so
slowly that it is not an issue. The Sky contract only requires you
to have the box connected for a year anyway.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:26:41 -0000, "Vortex"
wrote:

"Neil" wrote in message
Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside
wall and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside,
or is the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

I wouldn't bother.

FYI whilst Sky make it a contractual obligation you don't need the extension
at all. If you have the system installed and it works then you can just
leave it at that. Software updates are done via satellite.

The only "benefit" of the telephone connection is so you can "buy"
interactive services of various sorts (all mediocre compared to the www),
also Pay per View movies.

The PPV can be bought over the (voice) phone....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

slowly that it is not an issue. The Sky contract only requires you
to have the box connected for a year anyway.

Given the cluefulness of many sky installers, simply mounting a
telephone socket on the wall and not bothering to connect it to anything
may well keep them happy ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul

wrote:

Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside wall
and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside, or is
the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

Sky should fit the extension themselves, and you only need to have it
working for 12mths of the contract.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

wrote:

Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside wall
and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside, or is
the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

There is UV resistant outside stuff and you might prefer to use a
darker colour anyway. However, even the white would deteriorate so
slowly that it is not an issue. The Sky contract only requires you
to have the box connected for a year anyway.

My phone connection comes right round the side wall of the house from
the overhead junction box using indoor cable, installed circa 1977 by a
bodger builder I suspect. The white plastic's all cracked up and must
let the rain in but the BT man reckons its still OK, going by his
sophisticated BT electronic tests and didn't think it was worth
changing. It runs 2Mbit broadband with no problems

john

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

[...]

I suspect you're BT man was a lazy git, when you sign up for a phone
line/BB they are supposed run a new connection point in regardless of
whether it looks alright.
Thats what you're paying installation fee for.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I suspect you're BT man was a lazy git, when you sign up for a phone
line/BB they are supposed run a new connection point in regardless of
whether it looks alright.
Thats what you're paying installation fee for.

I never had a BT person call when I changed to BB.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I called them out for a hissy fault which turned out to be on the
overhead line from telegraph pole to the box on my house's wooden board
thingies just under the gable end.
I thought I knew where the problem was and told the guy what to fix, but
he proved otherwise with a reflectometer, so it turned into a high-tech
vs DIY stand-off situation. That was 2 years ago and no problems since
even with the manky frayed white indoor cable still in place.

john
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

wrote:

"Neil" wrote in message
Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside
wall and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside,
or is the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

I wouldn't bother.

FYI whilst Sky make it a contractual obligation you don't need the extension
at all. If you have the system installed and it works then you can just
leave it at that. Software updates are done via satellite.

Sky make it a contractual obligation to tempt you to use the PPV and
nasty games easily. They also check up...
You really do have to connect the box up to a telephone line to get
the cheap installation (well, for the first year anyhow). We
disconnected our phone from the box for a week while decorating and
they called us up to find out why! Although they were very polite
about it (said NP but don't forget to reconnect when you've finished)
they did make it quite clear that if it was not reconnected they'd
cease the service.

You can disconnect it after a year if you want.
--
ACK and you shall receive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave stanton

Sky should fit the extension themselves, and you only need to have it
working for 12mths of the contract.

Having seen some of Sky's ' installations', I fitted my own. But if you
want yards of trailing flex across your room......

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

"Neil" wrote in message
Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside
wall and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside,
or is the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.

Has the system already been installed?

When we had ours installed the Sky Engineer did us a free telephone
extension..

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

"Ron Clark" wrote

Just disconnect from the telephone socket as soon as they walk out of
the door.

Sky boxes 'phone home' in the wee small hours every now and again.

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

sponix wrote:

"Ron Clark" wrote

Just disconnect from the telephone socket as soon as they walk out of
the door.

Sky boxes 'phone home' in the wee small hours every now and again.

At whose expense ?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:40:45 +0000 (UTC), Dave
wrote:

sponix wrote:

"Ron Clark" wrote

Just disconnect from the telephone socket as soon as they walk out of
the door.

Sky boxes 'phone home' in the wee small hours every now and again.

At whose expense ?

Dave

Theirs. 0800 number

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

wrote:

sponix wrote:

"Ron Clark" wrote

Just disconnect from the telephone socket as soon as they walk out of
the door.

Sky boxes 'phone home' in the wee small hours every now and again.

At whose expense ?

Dave

Theirs. 0800 number

Well, yours, indirectly :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mogweed

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
wrote:

I suspect you're BT man was a lazy git, when you sign up for a phone
line/BB they are supposed run a new connection point in regardless of
whether it looks alright.
Thats what you're paying installation fee for.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Sorry but that's a load of ****e, and I speak as a cable jointer on BT for
over 17 years.

Mogweed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

Thanks to all for advice, it as been very helpful and appreciated.
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pinot Grigio

"Neil" wrote in message
Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky installation.
Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in, to accommodate it.
The only way is through an outside wall in the bedroom down the outside
wall and back in to the living room. Do I need special cable for outside,
or is the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

How far is it from a current phone socket to where your sky box will be? We
just used a splitter in our existing phone socket with a 10m extension cable
running under the carpet. The splitter is like this one: