Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default telephone extension cable

john wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:11:57 -0000, "Neil"
wrote:

Seasons greetings,
The " kids" have dragged us into the 21st century with a sky
installation. Unfortunately I need to put a telephone extension in,
to accommodate it. The only way is through an outside wall in the
bedroom down the outside wall and back in to the living room. Do I
need special cable for outside, or is the white stuff okay to use?
Many thanks for any advice.
Neil

There is UV resistant outside stuff and you might prefer to use a
darker colour anyway. However, even the white would deteriorate
so slowly that it is not an issue. The Sky contract only requires
you to have the box connected for a year anyway.

My phone connection comes right round the side wall of the house from
the overhead junction box using indoor cable, installed circa 1977 by
a bodger builder I suspect. The white plastic's all cracked up and
must let the rain in but the BT man reckons its still OK, going by his
sophisticated BT electronic tests and didn't think it was worth
changing. It runs 2Mbit broadband with no problems

john

I suspect you're BT man was a lazy git, when you sign up for a phone
line/BB they are supposed run a new connection point in regardless of
whether it looks alright.
Thats what you're paying installation fee for.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite