Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parking Charge

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Was that before the November 2015 Supreme Court judgement in the case of
Beavis v ParkingEye? Since that, car park penalty clauses have been
enforceable in law.

they always were

the judgment didn't change that

It is still going to depend on whether they are reasonable and fairly
issued.

Some stupid clause buried in the small print doesn't suddenly become
reasonable.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , rick
wrote:

On 26/01/2017 20:47, Graham. wrote:

FFS Rick, was it
A) face down so the attendant could not possibly see the expiry date &
time
or
B) upside-down so the attendant could see the date & time albeit
upside down.

A or B

I have already confirmed elsewhere in thread, sorry if you missed it -
it was face down ... A

Then you're stuffed.

Well, quite. It's not unreasonable that the parking operator has to be
able to check if the fee has been paid. And a ticket system like this
would mean having to be able to read the ticket. Most of them are actually
meant to be stuck to the screen. But in clear view on the dash would be OK
too.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27-Jan-17 11:27 AM, tim... wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
news
On 26-Jan-17 8:16 PM, rick wrote:
In article ,
rick wrote:
My view is, I paid correct fee, parked correctly, returned within
allotted time, therefore they have suffered no material loss.
I have made no financial gain.

Was it a council etc car park or a private one?

I'll find out - why does it make a difference

It doesn't these days, but until a Supreme Court ruling in November
2015, it was generally held that private parking company penalty fees
were not enforceable in law.

No it wasn't

I disagree. It was widely held that they were not enforceable in law,
but it something that the parking companies had avoided testing in Court.

It was an urban myth that they weren't enforceable in law

The judgement shows that, but it was far from clear prior to the Supreme
Court decision. Otherwise, it would not have been necessary to take it
that far.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2017 23:04, T i m wrote:

My point was ... as I had been parking there for over 40 years it
wasn't 'reasonable' to expect me to read the small print on the sign
every time I parked there to see if it had changed (so at worse a
notice should have been left under my wiper highlighting the change of
use on my first 'offence').

One of my neighbours is disputing a fine or fifty.
They have had a no cars restriction on a road in the town centre for a
few years.
People ignore the signs and drive through the pedestrian area.
So a few weeks ago the council installed cameras.

For the first two weeks or so they sent offenders a warning letter.

One or more was sent to my neighbour.
She now has a load of you committed an offence letters as she has been
ignoring it every day.

Why do some people think they are above the law?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 26/01/2017 23:04, T i m wrote:

My point was ... as I had been parking there for over 40 years it
wasn't 'reasonable' to expect me to read the small print on the sign
every time I parked there to see if it had changed (so at worse a
notice should have been left under my wiper highlighting the change of
use on my first 'offence').

One of my neighbours is disputing a fine or fifty.
They have had a no cars restriction on a road in the town centre for a
few years.
People ignore the signs and drive through the pedestrian area.
So a few weeks ago the council installed cameras.

For the first two weeks or so they sent offenders a warning letter.

One or more was sent to my neighbour.
She now has a load of you committed an offence letters as she has been
ignoring it every day.

Why do some people think they are above the law?

as some American woman said "The law is only for little people"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 27-Jan-17 11:27 AM, tim... wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
news
On 26-Jan-17 8:16 PM, rick wrote:
In article ,
rick wrote:
My view is, I paid correct fee, parked correctly, returned within
allotted time, therefore they have suffered no material loss.
I have made no financial gain.

Was it a council etc car park or a private one?

I'll find out - why does it make a difference

It doesn't these days, but until a Supreme Court ruling in November
2015, it was generally held that private parking company penalty fees
were not enforceable in law.

No it wasn't

I disagree. It was widely held that they were not enforceable in law,

Agreed, it was.

but they were wrong to hold that belief

The SC ruling didn't change the law, it told all those who thought it was
unenforceable, that they were wrong.

but it something that the parking companies had avoided testing in Court.

No they didn't, they took lots of people to court and won,

they could only take it further (to a point where it set a precedence) when
some idiot decided to appeal, up till then no-one had the balls (funding) to
do so

It was an urban myth that they weren't enforceable in law

The judgement shows that, but it was far from clear prior to the Supreme
Court decision. Otherwise, it would not have been necessary to take it
that far.

but you can't take a case like this to the SC, just for fun. You have to
have a real defendant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:10:34 -0000, "Dave W"
wrote:

"rick" wrote in message
news
On 26/01/2017 20:47, Graham. wrote:

FFS Rick, was it
A) face down so the attendant could not possibly see the expiry date &
time
or
B) upside-down so the attendant could see the date & time albeit
upside down.

A or B

I have already confirmed elsewhere in thread, sorry if you missed it - it
was face down ... A

No you haven't - this is the first time you've said "face down".

It might be the first time *he* said it directly but he did say in his
first post he put it on the dashboard and also added "I took my pay &
display ticket to the 'operator' he advised it was not correct way
up on the dash, therefore I had not displayed a valid ticket."

So, 'on the dash', 'not the correct way up' ... ? shrug

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 12:10, Dave W wrote:
"rick" wrote in message
news
On 26/01/2017 20:47, Graham. wrote:

FFS Rick, was it
A) face down so the attendant could not possibly see the expiry date &
time
or
B) upside-down so the attendant could see the date & time albeit
upside down.

A or B

I have already confirmed elsewhere in thread, sorry if you missed it - it
was face down ... A

No you haven't - this is the first time you've said "face down".

Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the dash
.... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

However words can be misunderstood - so hope this is now clear ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the dash
... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are going to
get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to no ticket at
all.

However words can be misunderstood - so hope this is now clear ....

Face down would have been clearer.

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 15:03:15 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the dash
... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are going
to get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to no ticket
at all.

I can see one scenario where he might have a case. A timed and dated
ticket that included the car registration in full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the dash
... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are
going to get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to
no ticket at all.

I can see one scenario where he might have a case. A timed and dated
ticket that included the car registration in full.

I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate recognition
cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 15:18:41 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the dash
... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are going to
get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to no ticket at
all.

Or an appropriately sized piece of paper blank on both sides :-)

Quite. ;-)

The real tickets aren't often blank on the back are they ... all the
T's and C's and instructions on how to 'Affix it inside the
windscreen' etc (for the ones with the sickly label on the back).

I think they generally state that it's the obligation of the driver to
ensure a valid ticket is clearly displayed and like putting up upside
down on the dash, not noticing that it had blown onto the floor /
whatever would be counted as a 'no ticket'. And don't we all generally
check the ticket as we close the last door / walk away to ensure it's
still there? (I also double check the time so I don't leave it too
late to get back, in case I got the cost / hour wrong etc).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the dash
... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are going
to get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to no ticket
at all.

I can see one scenario where he might have a case. A timed and dated
ticket that included the car registration in full.

The other scenario is when the attendant is spotted checking on the
ticket and can be shown that it is valid, although not visible to him
from outside.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the dash
... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are
going to get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to
no ticket at all.

I can see one scenario where he might have a case. A timed and dated
ticket that included the car registration in full.

I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate recognition
cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

You sometimes have to type it in, but I don't know if the machine keeps
a record.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 10:49, T i m wrote:

I know of a couple of people (I'll not call them friends) who think
nothing of parking all over the place (inc disabled / parent & child
bays) because they think their time is more important than following
the rules and / or being a 'good citizen'.

Most people using disabled badges for parking are not disabled!

Being a good citizen is accepting that you have no more rights than the
rest of the population and therefore there is no need for parent & child
bays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 17:18, dennis@home wrote:

Why do some people think they are above the law?

Taking lessons from the bankers - another billion set aside for
fraudulent transactions but still no-one jailed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:20:37 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 27/01/2017 10:49, T i m wrote:

I know of a couple of people (I'll not call them friends) who think
nothing of parking all over the place (inc disabled / parent & child
bays) because they think their time is more important than following
the rules and / or being a 'good citizen'.

Most people using disabled badges for parking are not disabled!

Well, I'd go for 'many' and it can be difficult to gauge someone's
disability. Like, I've seen people parking in a disabled bay and
walking away perfectly normally but they may be only able to walk 50
yards before needing to sit down for 10 minutes?

Being a good citizen is accepting that you have no more rights than the
rest of the population and therefore there is no need for parent & child
bays.

Again, part of that is accepting that some people drive like knobs and
small children might not be as aware of such as us?

Also, it may be seen to be more like 'making the process' equally easy
for all of us, eg a fit solo person, a parent with young children or
someone with mobility issues?

As always, all such things are generally considered 'fair and
reasonable' by the majority and (as usual) it's only the minority who
feel they are better than the rest who spoil it.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 16:49:23 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the
dash ... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are
going to get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to
no ticket at all.

I can see one scenario where he might have a case. A timed and dated
ticket that included the car registration in full.

I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate recognition
cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

I have seen them. Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire
registration in at the machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the
dash ... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are
going to get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different to
no ticket at all.

I can see one scenario where he might have a case. A timed and dated
ticket that included the car registration in full.

I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate recognition
cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

I have seen them. Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire
registration in at the machine.

Not at our local hospital you don't (and a couple of other places), as
you start to type the reg it only displays those regs that match up to
that point.

I noticed the Lidl parking thing had changed recently from where they
typed the reg in themselves at the till (with it coming up as soon as
there was a discrete match) to a diy solution where you have to type
the whole thing in.

A few years back I drove into a carpark at Stanstead and was slightly
surprised when taking the ticket from the machine and seeing my reg
already printed on it. Ok, I knew ANPR had been about a while even
then but it was still interesting to see it used in a carpark. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
[...]

The one I most recently used was low tech and a standalone machine, so
you needed the whole lot.

I think it was in Faversham.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate
recognition cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

I have seen them. Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire
registration in at the machine.

Not at our local hospital you don't (and a couple of other places), as
you start to type the reg it only displays those regs that match up to
that point.

I've not seen one where you type in the car number and it then issues a
ticket which you display.

I noticed the Lidl parking thing had changed recently from where they
typed the reg in themselves at the till (with it coming up as soon as
there was a discrete match) to a diy solution where you have to type
the whole thing in.

Yes. As I said earlier, I got caught by the till person not asking me for
my number. As far as I knew, they could have stopped that system, since it
hadn't been on the go long. But has now changed to a terminal where you
DIY it.

A few years back I drove into a carpark at Stanstead and was slightly
surprised when taking the ticket from the machine and seeing my reg
already printed on it. Ok, I knew ANPR had been about a while even
then but it was still interesting to see it used in a carpark. ;-)

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
[...]

But you must be talking about a pay before exit paystation, when your
entry was managed by ANPR.

Up to now we have been discussing pay after entry with no camera
enforcement.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
[...]

Yes. ;-)

Up to now we have been discussing pay after entry with no camera
enforcement.

Yeahbut I was (indirectly) responding to Daves "If the system has
number plate recognition cameras, no need for a paper ticket."
subthread. ;-)

At the local hospital you get (or got, may have changed, again) a
ticket at the car park entry barrier and your presence on site is also
logged by APNR (I guess because it's a big site they would needs loads
of cameras)? When you enter the car park you take a ticket and when
you leave you poke the ticket back in the machine *and* start to enter
your reg (where it compares current matches on site etc) and it tells
you what you owe.

The Stanstead one also had a ticket and ANPR but Lidls is / was
ticketless.

Another hospital we frequent has ANPR on the entrance to the carpark
then ticket machines scattered around. You pre pay for ticket and can
top-up realtime if you stay longer OR, pay what is outstanding before
you leave. I think you have to enter your reg on the ticket machine so
it can check as you leave that you have paid all you owe (but doesn't
tell you what you owe like the first hospital does).

I think I drove though a dropoff lane at Gatwick by mistake once where
you are supposed to pay but only if you take longer than so many
minutes between entry and exit or some such (I wasn't sure so asked in
the cabin). A mate got a fine in the post for doing similar at Luton
Airport.

It can all be very confusing, especially if you are in a rush (like at
an airport) or not well (at a hospital). ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 00:28:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate
recognition cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

I have seen them. Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire
registration in at the machine.

Not at our local hospital you don't (and a couple of other places), as
you start to type the reg it only displays those regs that match up to
that point.

I've not seen one where you type in the car number and it then issues a
ticket which you display.

Our local shops had such but you only put in the numbers (from
memory). They may have been simply to stop people passing their un
expired tickets on.

I noticed the Lidl parking thing had changed recently from where they
typed the reg in themselves at the till (with it coming up as soon as
there was a discrete match) to a diy solution where you have to type
the whole thing in.

Yes. As I said earlier, I got caught by the till person not asking me for
my number.

And I've been asked several times when mostly we are on foot. ;-)

hadn't been on the go long.

And didn't last long (that way) although I don't use them that often.

But has now changed to a terminal where you
DIY it.

Luckily daughter had been there in between my last visit so showed me
the ropes. It's a sign you are getting old when you have to check your
reg by trying to see into the dark car park though the brightly lit
store window. Now, when it displayed the hits on the screen it gave
some good reassurance as at least you know the system has read your
reg properly and you have minimised the risk of getting a PCN though
the post (by clocking-out the right reg). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire
registration in at the machine.

One of the council car-parks here had that scheme, with an A-Z rather
than QWERTY keyboard as an extra hindrance, but the wording said "enter
up to three letters from vehicle registration" so I would just enter one
letter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have unfortunately done this a couple of times myself. Both times, the ticket had the unique number printed on both sides so when I sent them a copy of the front of my ticket they were able to confirm it was indeed the same one as I had displayed (albeit face down) against the photo taken by the warden. Both times they canceled the fine.

Maybe this is why they have reduced the fine to £10 as better that than nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:46:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

rick wrote:
Sorry if you missed it but to be clear .. it was face down on the
dash ... which I had originally referred to as upside down.
Upside down to me means the face of the ticket was towards the
dash.
The opposite of right way up.

Do wondering why you are querying the parking ticket, then. If the
attendant can't see it's a valid one, it's rather obvious you are
going to get a penalty of some sort. As to him it is no different
to no ticket at all.

I can see one scenario where he might have a case. A timed and dated
ticket that included the car registration in full.

I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate
recognition cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

I have seen them. Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire
registration in at the machine.

Well you could get an online account.

I said 'I have seen them'. A while ago before they adopted online stuff.
Anyway, Shepway use a different company to Canterbury and Thanet (I use
Ringgo a lot).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 08:08:32 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire registration in at
the machine.

One of the council car-parks here had that scheme, with an A-Z rather
than QWERTY keyboard as an extra hindrance, but the wording said "enter
up to three letters from vehicle registration" so I would just enter one
letter.

Another I saw (at a hospital) had a keyboard like a telephone, with three
or four letters on each key. The queues were dreadful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've not seen one where you type in the car number and it then issues a
ticket which you display.

There are some is Sedgley if you want to see one.

They are only there to stop you transferring any unused time to someone
else, greedy councils at it again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
[...]

a local supermarket has a dot matrix sign at the entrance which pops up with

ABC1234 free parking until 12:37

when you drive in (at 10:37)

tim

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Yes. As I said earlier, I got caught by the till person not asking me
for my number.

And I've been asked several times when mostly we are on foot. ;-)

At the time in question, the lassie on the checkout seemed keener with
flirting with the laddie on the adjacent one. Quite funny - and rather
distracted me from asking if she needed my number. It wasn't a store I
used often enough for it to become second nature.

hadn't been on the go long.

And didn't last long (that way) although I don't use them that often.

But has now changed to a terminal where you
DIY it.

Luckily daughter had been there in between my last visit so showed me
the ropes. It's a sign you are getting old when you have to check your
reg by trying to see into the dark car park though the brightly lit
store window. Now, when it displayed the hits on the screen it gave
some good reassurance as at least you know the system has read your
reg properly and you have minimised the risk of getting a PCN though
the post (by clocking-out the right reg). ;-)

The problem I've found is getting the machine to read the barcode on the
receipt. Can be a fiddle.
But I'm in favour of the parking being controlled at that Clapham Junction
store as too many were using it for other purposes. Since they introduced
it much easier to find a space. However, Lidl have opened a large store in
Wimbledon which is slightly closer anyway. And at the moment has no checks
on parking.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 00:28:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I've never seen one of those. If the system has number plate
recognition cameras, no need for a paper ticket.

I have seen them. Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire
registration in at the machine.

Not at our local hospital you don't (and a couple of other places), as
you start to type the reg it only displays those regs that match up to
that point.

I've not seen one where you type in the car number and it then issues a
ticket which you display.

Our local shops had such but you only put in the numbers (from
memory). They may have been simply to stop people passing their un
expired tickets on.

that's exactly why they introduced it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Our local shops had such but you only put in the numbers (from
memory). They may have been simply to stop people passing their un
expired tickets on.

that's exactly why they introduced it

You'd have thought it hardly worth the bother.

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 13:15:00 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Our local shops had such but you only put in the numbers (from
memory). They may have been simply to stop people passing their un
expired tickets on.

that's exactly why they introduced it

You'd have thought it hardly worth the bother.

They used to do that using just the numeric part. That fell apart when
the numeric part was the same for all new cars for a six month
period...as it is now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 13:44:56 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:46:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Well you could get an online account.

I said 'I have seen them'.

Yeah, I saw in a parallel post that you didn't mean Canterbury.

A while ago before they adopted online stuff.
Anyway, Shepway use a different company to Canterbury and Thanet (I use
Ringgo a lot).

I'm not sure if Canterbury's online part is still fully functional (it
was only a trial at this stage anyway, AIUI) as when we changed cars in
Oct I saw that I had to use the machine even though I'd changed the
number plate in the online account.

I've been using Ringgo in Canterbury/Herne Bay for about 18 months. This
is using the mobile phone app. Particularly good when it's ****ing down!
I'm using it in Canterbury at least once a week now since I have part
time work at CCCU.

And Ringgo also works in Thanet, which can be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:46:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Well you could get an online account.

I said 'I have seen them'.

Yeah, I saw in a parallel post that you didn't mean Canterbury.

A while ago before they adopted online stuff. Anyway, Shepway use a
different company to Canterbury and Thanet (I use Ringgo a lot).

I'm not sure if Canterbury's online part is still fully functional (it
was only a trial at this stage anyway, AIUI) as when we changed cars in
Oct I saw that I had to use the machine even though I'd changed the
number plate in the online account.

and for the first few weeks, it became the most unpopular car park in town,
so there was always a space

I note now that it back to being the most popular :-(

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:46:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Well you could get an online account.

I said 'I have seen them'.

Yeah, I saw in a parallel post that you didn't mean Canterbury.

A while ago before they adopted online stuff. Anyway, Shepway use a
different company to Canterbury and Thanet (I use Ringgo a lot).

I'm not sure if Canterbury's online part is still fully functional (it
was only a trial at this stage anyway, AIUI) as when we changed cars in
Oct I saw that I had to use the machine even though I'd changed the
number plate in the online account.

and for the first few weeks, it became the most unpopular car park in
town, so there was always a space

That's because the touch screen (at least the one at the multi-story at
Castle St) is ****e and takes about 10 touches to register each
letter/digit.

well more to the point, because people hadn't got around to registering for
online payments

and presumably, now they have.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Bloody nuisance because you have to type the entire registration in at
the machine.

One of the council car-parks here had that scheme, with an A-Z rather
than QWERTY keyboard as an extra hindrance, but the wording said "enter
up to three letters from vehicle registration" so I would just enter one
letter.

Another I saw (at a hospital) had a keyboard like a telephone, with three
or four letters on each key. The queues were dreadful.

Barnet Council (and others) use the following automated telephone system
to enter the full car number plate for car parks and also on-street parking.

it: "press 1 if you have a blackberry phone, or 2 for all others"
me: 2
it: "press the number 2 if the first letter is either A, B or C"
it: "press the number 3 if the first letter is either D, E or F"
it: "press the number 4 if the first letter is either G, H or I"
it: "press the number 5 if the first letter is either J, K or L"
it: "press the number 6 if the first letter is either M, N or O"
me: 6
it: "press the number 1 if the first letter is M"
it: "press the number 2 if the first letter is N"
me: 2
it: "you have entered N, press the hash key if correct"
me: #
it: "press the number 2 if the next letter is either A, B or C"
it: "press the number 3 if the first letter is either D, E or F"
it: "press the number 4 if .... etc...

Tedious to the extreme, and in a bad mobile phone reception area
impossible sometimes to complete.

You can set up an "account" for next visit (never) or install their
mobile phone app (also never), but given the experience of such a dumb
system I doubt their software chaps are that clever about other things
like security.

Voice recognition would have been so much better.

I now go out of my way to find a free spot somewhere else, even if it
means a little walk.

--
Adrian C

parking OT? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 37 October 7th 15 05:37 PM
Fast charge vs. regular charge Michael Mud Electronics Repair 11 July 17th 14 04:34 AM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 05:56 PM
IKEA to charge £1 parking fee at its new Edmonton store MM UK diy 231 January 22nd 05 07:50 PM
standard charge or quick charge for nicads? Minty Electronics 2 July 16th 03 03:11 PM