Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi

Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete add on aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without reducing it's range?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DerbyBorn writes:
Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete add on aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without reducing it's range?

You probably can't add one, but you probably could disconnect the internal
one and fit an external one. This is likely to involve surface mount
(de)soldering (they are often a tiny surface mount component nowadays).

If you are lucky, the PCB will be tracked for an SMD connector too, to
allow a remote aerial to be fitted.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete add
on aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without reducing it's
range?

No, but its not a trivial thing to do design wise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2017 19:51, DerbyBorn wrote:

Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete
add on aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without
reducing it's range?

Has it got a reverse SMA connector or similar for connecting an aerial to?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2017 19:51, DerbyBorn wrote:
Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete add on aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without reducing it's range?

Its easy if you have a hub with a conector for an external aerial.

But do you need it?
Have you tried it where you want it to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2017 19:51, DerbyBorn wrote:

Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete
add on aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without
reducing it's range?

Some do have detatchable aerials that can be substituted with higher
gain ones. But they tend to be expensive. You need a very steady hand
for surface mount DIY work on the board if you want to play around.

To first order putting foil behind the hub at just the right distance
will project more signal forwards. Less useful with MIMO.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn was thinking very hard :
Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete add on
aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without reducing it's range?

If there is a connector on the PCB, or a plug in antenna it is easy to
fit an external antenna and there are plenty to choose from on ebay.
Using a homemade Yagi antenna plugged in place of the usual antenna on
an access point, I easily managed to provide internet access to a
location 1/2 mile distant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
DerbyBorn escribió:

my hub could hide behind the TV

That's about the worst possible place you could put it, external antenna
or not.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only that it might be hard to disconnect an internal pcb aerial and match
the output to an external on on a wire without losses you mean?
Brrian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
Is there any technical reason why a hub cannot have a small discrete add
on aerial so that my hub could hide behind the TV without reducing it's
range?

Wifi extending Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 26 November 5th 16 09:48 PM
No wifi but a wifi hotspot micky Home Repair 3 June 18th 15 08:08 AM
WiFi in the field Bill[_18_] UK diy 31 November 27th 14 11:00 PM
What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access? MM UK diy 58 January 7th 13 08:59 PM
DIY DX WiFi? T i m UK diy 31 March 17th 05 06:01 PM