Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix

Sort of on topic!

Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every
item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably
the IP location)

A quick Google suggests I need to allow tracking but this doesn't appear
to help with S'fix.

Any suggestions?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 12:15:27 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Sort of on topic!

Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every
item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably
the IP location)

A quick Google suggests I need to allow tracking but this doesn't appear
to help with S'fix.

Any suggestions?

I bought something yesterday. Looked it up, clicked the Click and Collect
button and it added it to the basket from my local branch.

I know this isn't quite the same, but I don't recall beeing constantly
asked for my location (or even being asked for it recently).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/01/2017 12:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
Sort of on topic!

Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every
item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably
the IP location)

A quick Google suggests I need to allow tracking but this doesn't appear
to help with S'fix.

Any suggestions?

Are you logged in, and do you have a "selected store" selected?

Which browser are you using? Desktop or mobile? Using an app? I think
you need to give more information.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Sort of on topic!

Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every
item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably
the IP location)

A quick Google suggests I need to allow tracking but this doesn't appear
to help with S'fix.

I found that. I think what you have to do is go to 'Store Locator', find a
store, click on it and 'Make Selected Store'.

Then, when you look at the listing for an item it'll say '3 in stock in
branch'.

It's a bit of a palaver compared with TS where every page has a branch
dropdown, and it then remembers it and lists the stock available in whole
categories. Particularly since TS keeps a smaller range but most stores
have stock, while SF has a wider range but half them are mail order/C&C
only.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Theo
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

OK Theo. I hadn't been using the *find store* button on their header.
Remains to be seen if it remembers me as Firefox is set to delete
history on close.
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 21/01/2017 12:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
Sort of on topic!

Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every
item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably
the IP location)

A quick Google suggests I need to allow tracking but this doesn't appear
to help with S'fix.

Any suggestions?

Are you logged in, and do you have a "selected store" selected?

Which browser are you using? Desktop or mobile? Using an app? I think
you need to give more information.

I think Theo has cracked it!

I hadn't found the button for selecting a store. If you go from an item
via *check stock in local stores* it doesn't offer an option to select a
particular store.

This is Firefox and logged on or not and desktop.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/01/2017 15:01, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK Theo. I hadn't been using the *find store* button on their header.
Remains to be seen if it remembers me as Firefox is set to delete
history on close.

It should remember your selected store, provided you log in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 21/01/2017 15:01, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK Theo. I hadn't been using the *find store* button on their header.
Remains to be seen if it remembers me as Firefox is set to delete
history on close.

It should remember your selected store, provided you log in.

Why should you have to log in, if you're buying from a store?

In theory it should be remembered if your cookie is retained. If you've set
FF to delete browsing history the cookie may remain, unless you've also set
it to delete cookies on exit.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan 2017 17:24:41 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

GB wrote:
On 21/01/2017 15:01, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK Theo. I hadn't been using the *find store* button on their header.
Remains to be seen if it remembers me as Firefox is set to delete
history on close.

It should remember your selected store, provided you log in.

Why should you have to log in, if you're buying from a store?

In theory it should be remembered if your cookie is retained. If you've set
FF to delete browsing history the cookie may remain, unless you've also set
it to delete cookies on exit.

Or can you select which cookies to retain?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a report I read the other day about web sites which are hard or
impossible to use costing retailers millions each year. it suggests keeping
it simple no snazzy find me bits, no maps no mouse overs etc, simple fields
etc. Many blind people find that site a mess as well, and when reading here
and other places it seems we are not alone.They need to give their web gurus
a rucket up the bum by the sound of it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Sort of on topic!

Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every
item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably
the IP location)

A quick Google suggests I need to allow tracking but this doesn't appear
to help with S'fix.

Any suggestions?
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

GB wrote:
On 21/01/2017 15:01, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK Theo. I hadn't been using the *find store* button on their header.
Remains to be seen if it remembers me as Firefox is set to delete
history on close.

It should remember your selected store, provided you log in.

Why should you have to log in, if you're buying from a store?

In theory it should be remembered if your cookie is retained. If you've set
FF to delete browsing history the cookie may remain, unless you've also set
it to delete cookies on exit.

Theo

Some sites decline to log you in from a cookie even though they
recognise it. I expect it is supposed to be for 'security', but if
they're that worried they shouldn't be keeping your info anyway. It
protects against an a relatively unlikely problem of someone else
logging into your computer, so it would seem to be too late by then
anyway. Made more sense in the days when by default many people shared
the same unsecured user environment on Windows.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 22:25:36 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Theo wrote:

GB wrote:
On 21/01/2017 15:01, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK Theo. I hadn't been using the *find store* button on their
header.
Remains to be seen if it remembers me as Firefox is set to delete
history on close.

It should remember your selected store, provided you log in.

Why should you have to log in, if you're buying from a store?

In theory it should be remembered if your cookie is retained. If
you've set FF to delete browsing history the cookie may remain, unless
you've also set it to delete cookies on exit.

Theo

Some sites decline to log you in from a cookie even though they
recognise it.

The cookie being referred to here is simply the one that remembers your
local store.

It is possible to never log in, yet still have a default store for stock
levels whenever the site is used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 20:06:37 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

There is a report I read the other day about web sites which are hard or
impossible to use costing retailers millions each year. it suggests
keeping it simple ....

Quite agree KISS rules. And do what thay say they are going to do no
stupid "See Tarrif Comparison Card" taking you to a form of half a
dozen plus fields all of which it knows.

no snazzy find me bits, no maps no mouse overs etc,

Mouse over drop downs *really* **** me off, especially large ones
that instantly appear and cover up what you are trying to look
at.It's all fing javascript why can't it delay a second before
dropping down? So just moving the pointer across the active bit of
screen doesn't trigger it.

They need to give their web gurus a rucket up the bum by the sound of
it.

Or just do some proper "usabilty" testing. I've done that, with eye
tracking. Fascinating seeing where you look on a page and that
scrolling doesn't happen unless its *really* obvious that scrolling
is required.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 20:06:37 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

There is a report I read the other day about web sites which are hard or
impossible to use costing retailers millions each year. it suggests keeping
it simple no snazzy find me bits, no maps no mouse overs etc, simple fields
etc. Many blind people find that site a mess as well, and when reading here
and other places it seems we are not alone.They need to give their web gurus
a rucket up the bum by the sound of it.
Brian

For me, the worst aspect of SF's site is that when flicking back from a
product to the page of products it says 'Please wait while we update your
selection' and then goes to the top of the page.

I've taken to using Up gesture on the link to load a foreground tab and then
an 'L' to close the tab. When I have 100 or All on a page I don't want to go
from low down to top, thank you SF!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2017 01:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Mouse over drop downs *really* **** me off, especially large ones
that instantly appear and cover up what you are trying to look
at.It's all fing javascript why can't it delay a second before
dropping down? So just moving the pointer across the active bit of
screen doesn't trigger it.

I was on a site recently where the damn drop down was so big you
couldn't get the mouse below it so it retracted when I had the browser
full screen.
I had to make the browser a window so I could go around the menu strip
to avoid it.
Whoever designs these things should be made to order their food using
such a site, then Darwin will take care of the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 January 2017 10:14:28 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/01/2017 01:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Mouse over drop downs *really* **** me off, especially large ones
that instantly appear and cover up what you are trying to look
at.It's all fing javascript why can't it delay a second before
dropping down? So just moving the pointer across the active bit of
screen doesn't trigger it.

I was on a site recently where the damn drop down was so big you
couldn't get the mouse below it so it retracted when I had the browser
full screen.
I had to make the browser a window so I could go around the menu strip
to avoid it.
Whoever designs these things should be made to order their food using
such a site, then Darwin will take care of the problem.

Lol, so true. A high proportion of sites are still either unusable or so problematic to use I just leave. They really haven't got the hang of that bit of research that showed 80% of attempted purchases aren't followed through.

The same increasingly applies to some appliances. They have features a to z but are a mare to use, so I don't want them. Nor did I ever want those features.

NT

B&Q + Screwfix The Medway Handyman UK diy 7 June 7th 09 11:32 PM
SDS and Screwfix Samantha Booth UK diy 86 June 26th 08 10:28 AM
Screwfix tut Jim S UK diy 23 November 19th 07 06:49 PM
Thank you to Screwfix Bob Martin UK diy 0 March 2nd 07 02:47 PM
Screwfix Paul Williams UK diy 86 October 27th 04 09:03 PM