Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH Controller/Timer

I have a requirement for a central heating (Worcester gas) controller
(single channel as there isn't any hot water) that allows different time
settings for every day. The only ones I can find seem to be 7 or 2/5
days, has anyone any suggestions?

It's for a village hall that has varying occupancy during the week, e.g.
10:00 - 11:00, 16:00 - 20:00 on a Monday, 10:00 - 12:00 19:00 - 22:00
Tuesday and similar for the rest of the week. Weekends are completely
unpredictable and there is also the occasional extra weekday meeting.
There is no internet access, but I have built a system using text
messages (Arduino) that allows me to remotely turn the system on/off,
which caters for the occasional weekends but it's too time consuming to
use during the week. The intention would be to program the regular
periods and use text messaging for the non regular periods. At the
moment I reckon that I'm wasting about 30% of my gas bill!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

Our Village Hall has exactly the same requirement and there is such a beast
- although with two separately heated rooms we use a dual channel machine.
However, I don't have a record at home of the make/model. I'll try and
take a look at the weekend.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
wrote:
In article , Peter Andrews
wrote:
[...]

Didn't make it until this morning.

Unit we have is a Danfoss TS715Si.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/01/2017 17:43, Charles Hope wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
In article , Peter Andrews
wrote:
[...]

Is that not a single channel programmer?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 23/01/2017 17:43, Charles Hope wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
In article , Peter Andrews
wrote:
[...]

It is. I'd forgotten things were modrnised and we now have two single
channel units instead of the old Sangamo one which did both halls from one
unit.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/01/2017 20:36, charles wrote:

It is. I'd forgotten things were modrnised and we now have two single
channel units instead of the old Sangamo one which did both halls from one
unit.

Sangamo have gone modern:-)

http://sangamo.co.uk/round-pattern-time-switch/e855/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 January 2017 15:25:54 UTC, Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

Whatever complex system you use, add a simple mechanical timer or it will be unworkable at some time by some people.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Andrews
wrote:
On 20/01/2017 16:04, wrote:
[...]

The only control that is accessible by hall users is the thermostat and
even then I've got another one in series that limits the max
temperature. Too many wanted 28C for their meetings!

We use programmable thermostats which return to their preset temperatures
at the end of the booking. The trouble is that too many people believe
that if they set the temperature high the room will heat up quicker. Mind
you, I had to stop the porter at St Giles Hotel setting the conference
rooms to 28°C when we had the RISC OS Show there in October.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 January 2017 16:19:04 UTC, Peter Andrews wrote:
On 20/01/2017 16:04, wrote:
[...]

You will find the brain dead think the building will warm up from cold quicker if the thermostat is set higher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 00:30:32 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

You will find the brain dead think the building will warm up from cold
quicker if the thermostat is set higher.

Not just the brain dead, an awful lot of otherwise bright people
think the same. At least the brain dead will be happy with a dummy
thermostat, the brighter ones will look at the stat setting and
think, it's not 28 C but the heatings off. Why? And start
investigating, find and adjust the limit stat, still using the flawed
higher = faster reasoning of course...

Also applies to fridges or freezers that have a temperature display
(or internal thermometer). Typical scenario is the fridge gets up to
6 C in the morning when umpteen people are in and out of it for milk,
spread, juice, etc. 6 C/ far to warm so they wind the dial up, 4
hours later they complain the lunchtime salad in the crisper drawers
is frozen...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Now that many things have PID control systems that do indeed heat up
faster when further away from the set point the prejudice of the
uninitiated that this is what *should* happen is more and more
vindicated.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2017 15:26, Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

We have a press button that runs the heating for
1 press + 1/2 hour
2 press 1 hour
3 press 2 hours.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2017 16:17, Muddymike wrote:
[...]

I did consider that but that doesn't allow the heating to be on before
people arrive, the hall takes about 30 - 40 minutes to warm up from cold
and the exercise groups and pensioners lunch clubs need it to be warm
when they arrive.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/01/2017 16:24, Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

If there's wireless internet at the hall, a switch that is programmable
over the internet might work for you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2017 18:07, GB wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately no internet available, hence my Arduino which can also
send me a text message giving me the status of the door lock, hall
temperature and the amount of time that the heating will remain on.

The lock status is interesting as it really shows which key holders are
taking the 'p' with their rental periods!

What I want to do next (not because I need it, but just to see if I can
do it) is have an electric lock, that can still be key operated, so that
I can lock and unlock the premises remotely!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

An otherwise good customer that runs 45 minutes late is a far better proposition than a ---- that operates on time.

What I want to do next (not because I need it, but just to see if I can
do it) is have an electric lock, that can still be key operated, so that
I can lock and unlock the premises remotely!

Peter

Electric locks are easily shouldered. And when your customer shows up and can't find something essential to their event you do need to be there or they may look to you for compensation for a pile of costs & liabilities, since it was you that didn't keep your side of the contract. And such events do not result in building ongoing business.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]

Would such a button be handy for the weekend events when someone turns
up to set things up before the other people arrive?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:26:07 +0000, Peter Andrews
wrote:

[...]

I built this smart thermostat
http://www.hestiapi.com/home

My version uses a Raspberry Pi Zero, and a wall-wart PSU, so my
prototype is smaller (if not neater).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/d98U37

I hand wired the interface board rather than attempt to etch a
double-sided PCB, that would have ended in tears.
Total hardware cost, under £10.
I did it primarily to ****-off my friends who had bought BG Nests!

I just wish I understood the software, so I could make some changes.
What I really need is the DHW channel to be excatly the same as the CH
with its own 1-wire sensor on the cylinder.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

More sophisticated boilers will have more sophisticated control.

However, I'd look at a programmable thermostat to see if it would do what
you want.

--
*I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The Honeywell CM927 7 day Wireless Programmable Room Thermostat does
what you want (although it is a thermostat not just a boiler
programmer).

In my CH I have the boiler programmer set permanently on, and use the
programmable room stat to control the CH. The boiler programmer still
controls the HW.

Just looked at Honeywell web site and they do various 7 day bolier
programmers:
http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...s/Programmers/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

The

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...tches/ST9100C/

is not bad.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, the ST9100C will do a treat - should pay for itself in about 3
months.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/01/2017 16:24, Peter Andrews wrote:

The

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...tches/ST9100C/

is not bad.

Thanks, the ST9100C will do a treat - should pay for itself in about 3
months.

I installed one in the local Scout hut for exactly the same reasons you
had (different times different days for different groups) with the bonus
of the holiday function that allows the heating to be turned off easily
in the school holidays by any of the Scout leaders.

A 3 month payback is impressive! The Scouts got a 1 day payback (I had a
spare programmer in the van and fitted it for free).

--
Adam