Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lever arch files: Stopping them from 'deforming' at open end

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 17:14:15 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

Hankat wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 16:29:37 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

MM Wrote in message:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 20:34:34 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

Clive George Wrote in message:
On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
When I place lever arch files on the shelves and they each contain
only a few sheets, they don't sit square on the shelf because the
'open' end (facing towards the wall) is pushed together by
adjacent
files.

If I had small wood blocks to insert which were exactly the
internal
width of the file, e.g. 42mm, this block would keep the 'open' end
apart and the file would then be like a box and would thus sit
nicely
square on the shelf. The wood blocks, say 42mm x 30mm x 30mm,
would be
fixed on one side only, either glued or screwed.

Now, before I start making such blocks I'd like to know whether
anyone
has seen a commercial solution already? To save reinventing the
wheel,
like.

If you were to do that, it would also mean you could store the
files
flat, and thus avoid the other problem of the paper sagging within
the file.

We call them "box files" :-)

I also have proper box files, but I have circa 20 ordinary lever arch
files -- wide ones and narrow ones -- so to replace them all with
box files would cost, ooh, fifty quid? Nah! Little blocks is what I
need. For free with my trusty saw and some offcuts.

MM

If all these only contain "a few sheets" wouldn't you be better
off amalgamating them into fewer, fuller lever arch files?

Then I'd have to buy or make dividers to keep the categories separate.
I used to do that, but found it a hassle. Much easy to have a
dedicated file for "car insurance", another for "council tax", another
for "HMRC" and so on.

Corse anyone with even half a clue would scan them and bin the
paperwork.

One of the best unexpected uses of smartphones with cameras, IMHO.

And then you lose the phone...

Not a problem, the pics are auto archived to dropbox etc and
you just get a new one and they are all available on the new one.

Oops!

Your house burns to the ground, you're ****ed.

I'm the kind of person who still walks to the bank every month
to pay my credit card statement at the counter. I hate technology!

And yet you use this one instead of writing letters with a quill pen.

Having worked in the computer industry
since 1978 I know just how crap it can be.

That's why you got the bums rush.

Now everyone is trying to persuade me to use my
cards contactless, and I just tell them politely to
naff off. Never gonna happen! Cash is king!

Still got the horse and buggy for when its too far to walk ?

I pay for everything using ApplePay now, leaves
contactless cards for dead and no chance of losing
any money if you lose the phone or have it stolen.

And no use to anyone so they don't get stolen now.
And when the most stupid steals it anyway, you have
the full video footage of the thief trying to use it and
his geolocation and so its off to the slammer for him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2017 18:27, MM wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:30:30 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

On 08/01/2017 10:48, Dave W wrote:
"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 10:36:54 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
When I place lever arch files on the shelves and they each contain
only a few sheets, they don't sit square on the shelf because the
'open' end (facing towards the wall) is pushed together by adjacent
files.

If I had small wood blocks to insert which were exactly the internal
width of the file, e.g. 42mm, this block would keep the 'open' end
apart and the file would then be like a box and would thus sit nicely
square on the shelf. The wood blocks, say 42mm x 30mm x 30mm, would be
fixed on one side only, either glued or screwed.

Now, before I start making such blocks I'd like to know whether anyone
has seen a commercial solution already? To save reinventing the wheel,
like.

If it is not clear what I mean, I'll post a drawing tomorrow.

MM

JOOI, what spec are your files? With all the lever arch files I have
(admittedly mainly 70mm) such blocks would not leave enough room for A4
paper (with the paper punched conventionally).

That is actually a very good point, but I have checked a few files and
there is room enough for a small block in most of them. It depends
whether one files plain A4 sheets or A4 in plastic punched pockets. I
have a mix of both.

MM

Your files sound like they take up ten times the volume of the papers
within. How about getting a filing cabinet? I have a 2-drawer one in wood
effect in the bedroom. Papers drop into the labelled hangers which squeeze
or expand according to the contents.

That is what I have. Plus a few box files which stand up by themselves.

Oh, I have box files as well! The loft is full of them. They are more
for *long-term* storage. My papers go back to 1970, including the
German stuff.

Why? 10 years I can understand. What do you keep that is 40 years old to
take all this room?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
[...]

No, I mean you then transfer them to your computer, and put them 'in the
cloud' if necessary. I wouldn't leave photographs in a phone for a long
time.

I have never used a cloud to store my data on. Bit too
will-o'-the-wisp for my liking. I use only Western Digital hard
drives. I sometimes watch clouds in the summer, to see if I can
recognise a rabbit or elephant. Once I thought I'd recognised Bill
Gates, but then I woke up. Just a nightmare, that's all.

Oops!

I'm the kind of person who still walks to the bank every month to pay
my credit card statement at the counter. I hate technology! Having
worked in the computer industry since 1978 I know just how crap it can
be. Now everyone is trying to persuade me to use my cards contactless,
and I just tell them politely to naff off. Never gonna happen! Cash is
king!

I like not having to work out how to spend a mountain of loose change
any more.

Tesco's self-service tills are your friend for getting rid of loose
change. I used to think these things were the devil's work, but now
I've got quite used to them. And it means you don't have to talk to
people. Who knows? Maybe in thirty years' time I'll even be using
contactless cards... but I'll be dead long before then anyway.

By the way, since back from Germany I've ordered a coin dispenser for
euros. Then I thought, why stop there? So I ordered one for sterling
coins, too.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 07:20:39 +1100, "Hankat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
[...]

But I don't have a smartphone anyway. Surely you must have already
guessed that! What is 'dropbox'? Sounds like something secret agents
would use.

Oops!

Your house burns to the ground, you're ****ed.

True, but then I'd have lost a lot more than a few files of old
papers.

I'm the kind of person who still walks to the bank every month
to pay my credit card statement at the counter. I hate technology!

And yet you use this one instead of writing letters with a quill pen.

You find a way for me to get that to you and I'll give it a go!

Having worked in the computer industry
since 1978 I know just how crap it can be.

That's why you got the bums rush.

Nothing wrong with my bum since I started using Sudocrem.

Now everyone is trying to persuade me to use my
cards contactless, and I just tell them politely to
naff off. Never gonna happen! Cash is king!

Still got the horse and buggy for when its too far to walk ?

Bicycle.

I pay for everything using ApplePay now, leaves
contactless cards for dead and no chance of losing
any money if you lose the phone or have it stolen.

I never liked Apple products. Still don't.

And no use to anyone so they don't get stolen now.
And when the most stupid steals it anyway, you have
the full video footage of the thief trying to use it and
his geolocation and so its off to the slammer for him.

Well, you've found the best solution for you, and I have, too, for me.
It's files all the way!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
[...]

It gives me a warm feeling.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 19:52:38 -0000, "Dave W"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 10:48:31 -0000, "Dave W"
wrote:

Your files sound like they take up ten times the volume of the papers
within. How about getting a filing cabinet? I have a 2-drawer one in wood
effect in the bedroom. Papers drop into the labelled hangers which squeeze
or expand according to the contents.

I used to have such a filing cabinet, also wood effect. Four drawers.
Didn't like it. Pulling the drawers out was such a pain compared to
just reaching for a lever arch file. And you couldn't move the bloody
thing, it was so heavy. I gave it away eventually.

MM

So get a chipboard two drawer one and put castors on it like mine.

No need. I have shelves and lever arch files. Job's a good'un!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 07:20:39 +1100, "Hankat"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
[...]

And mobile phone, not just a smartphone.

Surely you must have already guessed that!

Yeah, its obvious you refuse to use
any sort of phone, even a landline.

What is 'dropbox'? Sounds like
something secret agents would use.

Oops!

Your house burns to the ground, you're ****ed.

True, but then I'd have lost a lot
more than a few files of old papers.

Hopefully you too.

I'm the kind of person who still walks to the bank every month
to pay my credit card statement at the counter. I hate technology!

And yet you use this one instead of writing letters with a quill pen.

You find a way for me to get that to you and I'll give it a go!

It there now.

Having worked in the computer industry
since 1978 I know just how crap it can be.

That's why you got the bums rush.

Nothing wrong with my bum since I started using Sudocrem.

Obvious lie.

Now everyone is trying to persuade me to use
my cards contactless, and I just tell them politely
to naff off. Never gonna happen! Cash is king!

Still got the horse and buggy for when its too far to walk ?

Bicycle.

Too radical by far.

Yes, you have always been a terminal ****wit/dinosaur.

And no use to anyone so they don't get stolen now.
And when the most stupid steals it anyway, you have
the full video footage of the thief trying to use it and
his geolocation and so its off to the slammer for him.

Well, you've found the best solution for

Yep.

you, and I have, too, for me.

Nope.

It's files all the way!

Yes, you have always been a terminal ****wit/dinosaur.

No surprise they gave you the bums rush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
[...]

That's the **** running down your leg, dinosaur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:
[...]

Neither have I, but I thought most other people did.

[...]

We generally have the shopping delivered, since shopping is so boring.
But I occasionally nip into a nearby Asda for things like light bulbs
and decorating stuff. I'll have a look at their self-service tills next
time. The queues at the normal tills are too long, so I'm quite used to
them. Just haven't thought of putting cash in them before. Trouble is,
what I mostly have is a mountain of pennies, not the more useful pound
coins, etc. I may just bury them for future archaeologists to play with.

By the way, since back from Germany I've ordered a coin dispenser for
euros. Then I thought, why stop there? So I ordered one for sterling
coins, too.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 09:57, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

We generally have the shopping delivered, since shopping is so boring.
But I occasionally nip into a nearby Asda for things like light bulbs
and decorating stuff. I'll have a look at their self-service tills next
time. The queues at the normal tills are too long, so I'm quite used to
them. Just haven't thought of putting cash in them before. Trouble is,
what I mostly have is a mountain of pennies, not the more useful pound
coins, etc. I may just bury them for future archaeologists to play with.

There's a charge, but if you have a very large amount of coins, some
supermarkets have a coinstar machine, which you can throw all them into,
and it sorts them, giving you vouchers you exchnage for folding money in
the shop.

https://www.coinstar.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 09/01/2017 09:57, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

We generally have the shopping delivered, since shopping is so boring.
But I occasionally nip into a nearby Asda for things like light bulbs
and decorating stuff. I'll have a look at their self-service tills next
time. The queues at the normal tills are too long, so I'm quite used to
them. Just haven't thought of putting cash in them before. Trouble is,
what I mostly have is a mountain of pennies, not the more useful pound
coins, etc. I may just bury them for future archaeologists to play with.

There's a charge, but if you have a very large amount of coins, some
supermarkets have a coinstar machine, which you can throw all them into,
and it sorts them, giving you vouchers you exchnage for folding money in
the shop.

https://www.coinstar.co.uk/

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm sure lots of people have the same problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 10:11:18 +0000, Chris Bartram
wrote:

On 09/01/2017 09:57, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

We generally have the shopping delivered, since shopping is so boring.
But I occasionally nip into a nearby Asda for things like light bulbs
and decorating stuff. I'll have a look at their self-service tills next
time. The queues at the normal tills are too long, so I'm quite used to
them. Just haven't thought of putting cash in them before. Trouble is,
what I mostly have is a mountain of pennies, not the more useful pound
coins, etc. I may just bury them for future archaeologists to play with.

There's a charge, but if you have a very large amount of coins, some
supermarkets have a coinstar machine, which you can throw all them into,
and it sorts them, giving you vouchers you exchnage for folding money in
the shop.

Alternatively, take them to the bank. Or get a coin dispenser like I
just did: http://www.cbm-comms.co.uk/product/coin-dispenser/

Then you can tidy up your loose change before it gets out of hand.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 19:59:57 +1100, "Hankat"
wrote:

That's the **** running down your leg, dinosaur.

Huh, chance would be a fine thing with MY prostate!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 08:43:07 +0000, MM wrote:

There's a charge, but if you have a very large amount of coins, some
supermarkets have a coinstar machine, which you can throw all them into,
and it sorts them, giving you vouchers you exchnage for folding money in
the shop.

Alternatively, take them to the bank. Or get a coin dispenser like I
just did: http://www.cbm-comms.co.uk/product/coin-dispenser/

Then you can tidy up your loose change before it gets out of hand.

MM

Had one of those for some years now originally for when I used to
have to find change for parking several times a day.
It was the other halfs idea who bought me one after getting fed up
with coins from various work trouser pockets rattling around in the
washing machine.
Don't underestimate the weight of £50 worth of coins which can get a
bit wearing in the pocket after a while if you are walking with it.
OTOH the reaction from others who see how quick you can pay for your
parking compared to the old biddy digging in her bags for the right
coins is favourable and many traders when they see you have a large
amount of £2 ,£1 and "silver" coins are only too pleased to exchange
them for a note or two as many are often short on change.

G.Harman