Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Idle musings on water softeners

We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones which used
blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt in a block at
a time compared to lugging big bags of salt around might be worth the
extra money.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
On 2017-01-04, David wrote:
We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones which used
blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt in a block
at a time compared to lugging big bags of salt around might be worth
the extra money.

How much do the blocks weigh?

In the interests of scientific research I've put a bag on the kitchen
scales: and the answer is 8kg.

I've just installed one that uses salt "pebbles" and as I lugged the 20kg
bags of salt back to the car my comment to my wife was "This is OK now,
but who's going to do this in 10 years time when I'm in my 70's?"

I can refill the softener from the bags in the garage a bit at a time,
but if I can't carry the bags from the car to the garage, I'm f****d.

Yes

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-04, David wrote:
We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones which used
blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt in a block at
a time compared to lugging big bags of salt around might be worth the
extra money.

How much do the blocks weigh?

I've just installed one that uses salt "pebbles" and as I lugged the
20kg bags of salt back to the car my comment to my wife was "This is OK
now, but who's going to do this in 10 years time when I'm in my 70's?"

I can refill the softener from the bags in the garage a bit at a time, but
if I can't carry the bags from the car to the garage, I'm f****d.

I buy my salt (I find blocks more convenient) from a local coal merchant
who delivers and carries them in. I do help, but only because for now,
I can.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jan 2017 10:56:54 GMT

On 2017-01-04, David wrote:
We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones which
used blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt in a
block at a time compared to lugging big bags of salt around might
be worth the extra money.

How much do the blocks weigh?

I've just installed one that uses salt "pebbles" and as I lugged the
20kg bags of salt back to the car my comment to my wife was "This is
OK now, but who's going to do this in 10 years time when I'm in my
70's?"

I can refill the softener from the bags in the garage a bit at a
time, but if I can't carry the bags from the car to the garage, I'm
f****d.

I buy the blocks, which are delivered to my door, they come in plastic
bags with built-in handles for easy carrying. There are two blocks in
each bag, each block weighs 4 kg.
Due to the only space available for the softener, the block type is the
only one suitable. It replaced a very dead salt pellet Calgon softener,
which could not be maintained and was a bitch to remove.
For me, blocks are the only way to go.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
In article , Huge
On 2017-01-04, David wrote:
We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones which
used blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt in a
block at a time compared to lugging big bags of salt around might be
worth the extra money.

How much do the blocks weigh?

In the interests of scientific research I've put a bag on the kitchen
scales: and the answer is 8kg.

And do they come in "ones" or packaged in multiples? (Because of the
point I make below...)

That is a pack of 2. At the advanced age of 76, I can still carry them
upstairs - which is where our softener is locate. The pack has a "handle"
for ease of carrying. The machine takes two, but I could always split the
pack and make two journeys if it became too heavy. We used to have a
machine which used bags of salt - suspect 20 kg - but it only lasted 30
years (thank goodness).
I get ours from a local water softener firm. They would load the car if I
wanted.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jan 2017 13:13:12 GMT

In article , Huge
In article , Huge
On 2017-01-04, David wrote:
We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones
which used blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt
in a block at a time compared to lugging big bags of salt
around might be worth the extra money.

How much do the blocks weigh?

In the interests of scientific research I've put a bag on the
kitchen scales: and the answer is 8kg.

And do they come in "ones" or packaged in multiples? (Because of
the point I make below...)

That is a pack of 2. At the advanced age of 76, I can still carry
them upstairs

That's good to know.

- which is where our softener is locate. The pack has a "handle"
for ease of carrying. The machine takes two, but I could always
split the pack and make two journeys if it became too heavy. We
used to have a machine which used bags of salt - suspect 20 kg -
but it only lasted 30 years (thank goodness).
I get ours from a local water softener firm. They would load the
car if I wanted.

That isn't the problem - it's getting the stuff out of the car at the
other end!

See my post: My supplier delivers them to my door, and in fact brings
them inside the house for me. He even asks where I want them
dropped, but I am happy to just have them inside the house. Yours might
too, if you ask.

Mine has a lad driving the van around the area, dropping off salt
bags. I think that's all he does.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote
David wrote

We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more
expensive ones which used blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just
feeding salt in a block at a time compared to lugging
big bags of salt around might be worth the extra money.

How much do the blocks weigh?

I've just installed one that uses salt "pebbles" and as I lugged the
20kg bags of salt back to the car my comment to my wife was "This is OK
now, but who's going to do this in 10 years time when I'm in my 70's?"

The delivery monkey after you order it online and get it delivered.

With a bit of bribery, they might well even be encouraged to
put it next to the water softener, that at 70 the usual bribery
might be a problem.

I can refill the softener from the bags in the garage a bit at a time,
but if I can't carry the bags from the car to the garage, I'm f****d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 19:20:30 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I can refill the softener from the bags in the garage a bit at a time,
but if I can't carry the bags from the car to the garage, I'm f****d.

I get mine delivered off e-bay and it uses two blocks every month.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:41:01 +0000, David wrote:

We have one which uses bags of tablets.

At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones which used
blocks of salt.

However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt in a block
at a time compared to lugging big bags of salt around might be worth the
extra money.

Just to add that I've looked very briefly on line and the 25 kg bags look
cheaper than the 10 kg bags.

Further research required, obviously.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Water softeners David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 23 June 19th 12 09:02 AM
Idle musings on combis and stored hot water David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 20 December 28th 11 05:33 PM
Idle musings re turning every piece of lovely wood we find. Arch Woodturning 3 April 8th 08 10:35 PM
Water softeners Grumps UK diy 27 January 4th 08 12:17 PM
Idle musings about our medium Arch Woodturning 10 October 8th 05 02:35 AM