Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer

strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/26/2016 6:50 PM, jake wrote:
strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P

I assume you mean that the *internal* jaws would have been a better way
to do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:27:03 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 12/26/2016 6:50 PM, jake wrote:
strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P

I assume you mean that the *internal* jaws would have been a better way
to do it.

Well, more that the way shown in the picture doesn't offer much in the
way of a real measurement at all does it, especially if using a verity
of verniers?

The only reason one might not use the internal jaws might be in case
you cut the belt?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/26/2016 6:50 PM, jake wrote:
strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P

I assume you mean that the *internal* jaws would have been a better way
to do it.

Well, more that the way shown in the picture doesn't offer much in the
way of a real measurement at all does it, especially if using a verity
of verniers?

The only reason one might not use the internal jaws might be in case
you cut the belt?

Cheers, T i m

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

One other method is to try and find a round object that it just fits on
then measure that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:54:08 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Yes to all. Just how the angled-sides of the jaws could be thought to
measure with any degree of accuracy I dion't know. Apart from the belt
sliding toward the pointy end, it's at an angle on the jaws - the
width of which are "undefined" :-)
Just wonder how they thought measuring like that could in any way give
a sensible answer. Looks like guesswork.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 11:49:53 +0000, jake wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:54:08 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Yes to all. Just how the angled-sides of the jaws could be thought to
measure with any degree of accuracy I dion't know.

Quite, weird.

Apart from the belt
sliding toward the pointy end, it's at an angle on the jaws - the
width of which are "undefined" :-)

Yup ... and potentially varied across a range of makes etc. Now, it
might make some sense to use it that way if you have a box of
different size belts you wish to sort but not as a explicit value to
sell them by.

Just wonder how they thought measuring like that could in any way give
a sensible answer. Looks like guesswork.

Well, I guess if the difference in size between the alternative belts
available for that role was larger than the errors in that form of
measurement then it could be ok?

Like say you needed a mate to get you a screwdriver that was 'about as
long as a house brick then that could be good enough 'measure'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m