Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer

strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/26/2016 6:50 PM, jake wrote:
strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P

I assume you mean that the *internal* jaws would have been a better way
to do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:27:03 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 12/26/2016 6:50 PM, jake wrote:
strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P

I assume you mean that the *internal* jaws would have been a better way
to do it.

Well, more that the way shown in the picture doesn't offer much in the
way of a real measurement at all does it, especially if using a verity
of verniers?

The only reason one might not use the internal jaws might be in case
you cut the belt?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/26/2016 6:50 PM, jake wrote:
strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer!
Scroll down to pic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Repl...AOSwu1VW4ww P

I assume you mean that the *internal* jaws would have been a better way
to do it.

Well, more that the way shown in the picture doesn't offer much in the
way of a real measurement at all does it, especially if using a verity
of verniers?

The only reason one might not use the internal jaws might be in case
you cut the belt?

Cheers, T i m

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

One other method is to try and find a round object that it just fits on
then measure that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:54:08 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Yes to all. Just how the angled-sides of the jaws could be thought to
measure with any degree of accuracy I dion't know. Apart from the belt
sliding toward the pointy end, it's at an angle on the jaws - the
width of which are "undefined" :-)
Just wonder how they thought measuring like that could in any way give
a sensible answer. Looks like guesswork.