Posted to uk.d-i-y
jake jake is offline

Default strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:54:08 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:15:16 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

snip

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally
get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will
give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more
accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a
'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Yes to all. Just how the angled-sides of the jaws could be thought to
measure with any degree of accuracy I dion't know. Apart from the belt
sliding toward the pointy end, it's at an angle on the jaws - the
width of which are "undefined" :-)
Just wonder how they thought measuring like that could in any way give
a sensible answer. Looks like guesswork.