Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Curious said Alice!

I wanted to close a Barclays savings account and downloaded a PDF to
allow me to do this by post.

Each time I tried to print it Adobe Acrobat threw a wobbly and failed to
print.

Task manager showed two versions of ACRO RD 32.exe running both of which
appeared to be active although one was hogging the processor time.

Using Firefox on Windows 7 pro if it matters.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 20:41:43 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

I wanted to close a Barclays savings account and downloaded a PDF to
allow me to do this by post.

Each time I tried to print it Adobe Acrobat threw a wobbly and failed to
print.

Task manager showed two versions of ACRO RD 32.exe running both of which
appeared to be active although one was hogging the processor time.

Using Firefox on Windows 7 pro if it matters.

Were you launching the .pdf directly from FF Tim? FWIW, whilst that
often works for me here (XP / FF), it's often 'safer' to download the
..pdf and then print it from Acrobat / whatever (I can't answer your
specific question). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

I wanted to close a Barclays savings account and downloaded a PDF to
allow me to do this by post.

Each time I tried to print it Adobe Acrobat threw a wobbly and failed to
print.

Task manager showed two versions of ACRO RD 32.exe running both of which
appeared to be active although one was hogging the processor time.

Using Firefox on Windows 7 pro if it matters.

Were you launching the .pdf directly from FF Tim? FWIW, whilst that
often works for me here (XP / FF), it's often 'safer' to download the
.pdf and then print it from Acrobat / whatever (I can't answer your
specific question). ;-)

Er... I was using Firefox to access the Barclays site. Visible on screen
OK. Saved to my downloads file and then attempted to print through
Acrobat.

They'll do the job by telephone but I was planning to invest 63p rather
than risk a queue on their helpline.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I wanted to close a Barclays savings account and downloaded a PDF to
allow me to do this by post.

Each time I tried to print it Adobe Acrobat threw a wobbly and failed to
print.

Task manager showed two versions of ACRO RD 32.exe running both of which
appeared to be active although one was hogging the processor time.

Using Firefox on Windows 7 pro if it matters.

I presume you've tried the obvious and closed both versions down before
trying to open the PDF again?

And, in the words of help desks everywhere, "Have you tried turning it off
and on again?"

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

I recently received a PDF which was only openable and printable from one
of the three operating systems I have available.

I recently received an airline boarding pass - one page of A4, which my
printer refused to print, throwing a page with an "Out of memory" error.

It has 128MB installed.

"Portable", my arse.

Aye. I suspect Microsoft's crappy "print to PDF" may be responsible,
but am speculating.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/16 03:09, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Huge
escribió:

I recently received a PDF which was only openable and printable from one
of the three operating systems I have available.

I recently received an airline boarding pass - one page of A4, which my
printer refused to print, throwing a page with an "Out of memory" error.

It has 128MB installed.

That is not a huge amount for a complex bitmap.

at 1200 dpi and three bytes per pixel, and about 70 sq in of paper,
that's easily more than 128Mbyte.

"Portable", my arse.

Aye. I suspect Microsoft's crappy "print to PDF" may be responsible,
but am speculating.

Postscript itself is an abortion that not even adobe can deal with. I am
always surprised when it works at all.

Print to PDF works well on Linux mostly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
I wanted to close a Barclays savings account and downloaded a PDF to
allow me to do this by post.

Each time I tried to print it Adobe Acrobat threw a wobbly and failed to
print.

Task manager showed two versions of ACRO RD 32.exe running both of which
appeared to be active although one was hogging the processor time.

Using Firefox on Windows 7 pro if it matters.

Use Foxit reader works and its free!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

I recently received a PDF which was only openable and printable from one
of the three operating systems I have available.

I recently received an airline boarding pass - one page of A4, which my
printer refused to print, throwing a page with an "Out of memory" error.

It has 128MB installed.

That is not a huge amount for a complex bitmap.

at 1200 dpi and three bytes per pixel, and about 70 sq in of paper,
that's easily more than 128Mbyte.

"Portable", my arse.

Aye. I suspect Microsoft's crappy "print to PDF" may be responsible,
but am speculating.

Postscript itself is an abortion that not even adobe can deal with. I am
always surprised when it works at all.

Print to PDF works well on Linux mostly.

Not on the latest version of Elemental! I
am told that you have to add a whole library to get proper results. The
web is full of tales of woe. Worked OK on Ubuntu 10,4 with Okular and cups.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 14:44, Capitol wrote:

Print to PDF works well on Linux mostly.

Not on the latest version of Elemental!

Never heard of it.

Linu8x printing uses CUPS and ghostscript to generate PDFs.

am told that you have to add a whole library to get proper results.

Eh? I have to add 'whole new libraries' lmost any tie I install anythng
anyway...

The
web is full of tales of woe.

NOt for print to PDF.

Worked OK on Ubuntu 10,4 with Okular and cups.

N idea what okular is, either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 16:53, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 26/12/16 14:44, Capitol wrote:

Print to PDF works well on Linux mostly.

Not on the latest version of Elemental!

Never heard of it.

Linu8x printing uses CUPS and ghostscript to generate PDFs.

I am told that you have to add a whole library to get proper results.

Eh? I have to add 'whole new libraries' lmost any tie I install
anythng anyway...

The web is full of tales of woe.

NOt for print to PDF.

Worked OK on Ubuntu 10,4 with Okular and cups.

N idea what okular is, either.

If you use OS X, you get print-to-PDF for free in all applications.
It's built-in.

so it is for Linux. Its part of CUPS.

Which is the same system OSX uses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/12/16 14:44, Capitol wrote:

Print to PDF works well on Linux mostly.

Not on the latest version of Elemental!

Never heard of it.

Linu8x printing uses CUPS and ghostscript to generate PDFs.

am told that you have to add a whole library to get proper results.

Eh? I have to add 'whole new libraries' lmost any tie I install anythng
anyway...

The
web is full of tales of woe.

NOt for print to PDF.

Worked OK on Ubuntu 10,4 with Okular and cups.

N idea what okular is, either.

Elemental is a stripped down version of Ubuntu with IMO a better UI.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/25/2016 1:09 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

I recently received a PDF which was only openable and printable from one
of the three operating systems I have available.

I recently received an airline boarding pass - one page of A4, which my
printer refused to print, throwing a page with an "Out of memory" error.

It has 128MB installed.

"Portable", my arse.

Aye. I suspect Microsoft's crappy "print to PDF" may be responsible,
but am speculating.

I'm seeing more dodgy PDFs too. Foxit or Word or WPS sometimes work.