Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storm Barbara

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probabably be the wrong type of wind.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 December 2016 07:57:25 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

Certainly won't be getting much from solar.

It's so gloomy here I think I'll stick fairy lights in my eyeballs to offset SAD.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2016 07:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

I wouldn't bet on it. They can't be used if it's *too* windy!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2016 11:53, Roger Mills wrote:
On 23/12/2016 07:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

I wouldn't bet on it. They can't be used if it's *too* windy!

My thoughts exactly. They are designed to shut down in those very high

winds. It has to be the *right* type of wind ...... lol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/16 09:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

7GW now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 11:55:48 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 23/12/2016 11:53, Roger Mills wrote:
On 23/12/2016 07:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

I wouldn't bet on it. They can't be used if it's *too* windy!

My thoughts exactly. They are designed to shut down in those very high

winds. It has to be the *right* type of wind ...... lol.

Early days yet, they'll improve them so they can handle more wind.

Anyway, I have loads of them on the hills near me, and almost every time I've gone running up there, they're all spinning.

--
Bumper sticker seen on a B-2 Stealth Bomber:
"IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THEN WE WASTED 50 BILLION BUCKS."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It seems gusty wind is often the issue. If its constant they can be adjusted
to suit but variable direction or gusts are a death to a wind turbine, at
least the ones I know about. It takes a lot longer for pitch and direction
of the blades to be adjusted than it does for the wind to change so after a
certain point they just put them into the safest config and stop them.

I often wonder if a huge array of smaller more responsive devices might work
better, after all across the span of on of those giants the air currents
could be vastly different, putting a strain on the mountings.
Brian

--
----- -

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 23/12/2016 07:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

I wouldn't bet on it. They can't be used if it's *too* windy!
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone recall the vertical rotating type, kind of like a centrifugal
blower in reverse. The good thing about it was that wind from any direction
worked though i understand its not as efficieint as thos based on blades and
aerofoils, and still has issues with gusts.

I remember those kites we used to have when young where they looked like
planes but the wings spun as the wind went over them.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
On 23/12/16 09:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

7GW now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/16 11:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
It seems gusty wind is often the issue. If its constant they can be adjusted
to suit but variable direction or gusts are a death to a wind turbine, at
least the ones I know about. It takes a lot longer for pitch and direction
of the blades to be adjusted than it does for the wind to change so after a
certain point they just put them into the safest config and stop them.

I often wonder if a huge array of smaller more responsive devices might work
better, after all across the span of on of those giants the air currents
could be vastly different, putting a strain on the mountings.
Brian

well no. the smaller ones would be vastly more expensive.

Anyway the issue is the old Irishism: If you want to generate reliable
electricity don't start with wind turbines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/16 11:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does anyone recall the vertical rotating type, kind of like a centrifugal
blower in reverse. The good thing about it was that wind from any direction
worked though i understand its not as efficieint as thos based on blades and
aerofoils, and still has issues with gusts.

Yep. I am sure that all these options have been thoroughly explored by
engineers trying to make the best possible turbines. Unfortunately even
the best possible turbines are total crapp.

I remember those kites we used to have when young where they looked like
planes but the wings spun as the wind went over them.
Brian

I thught they looked like hummingbirds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2016 09:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does anyone recall the vertical rotating type, kind of like a centrifugal
blower in reverse. The good thing about it was that wind from any direction
worked though i understand its not as efficieint as thos based on blades and
aerofoils, and still has issues with gusts.

There is one of those installed here

However its the only one I have seen and it doesn't go around very
frequently.
Its not really in a good place AFAICS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:56:58 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Anyway, I have loads of them on the hills near me, and almost every time I've gone running up there, they're all spinning.

Under wind or grid power?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:57:03 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

There is one of those installed here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/

@52.5374947,-2.0168682,3a,37.5y,346.53h,85.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!
1sHn3oSPYiTB9M-2x8scruwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

However its the only one I have seen and it doesn't go around very
frequently.
Its not really in a good place AFAICS.

There's a group of 4 beside the M25 he

data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Dq1Yy_ZdJe7lZkb1r-oVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Perhaps they harness the turbulence from passing traffic (when it isn't
static!)

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 4:00:56 PM UTC, The Other John wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:57:03 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

There is one of those installed here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/

@52.5374947,-2.0168682,3a,37.5y,346.53h,85.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!
1sHn3oSPYiTB9M-2x8scruwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

However its the only one I have seen and it doesn't go around very
frequently.
Its not really in a good place AFAICS.

There's a group of 4 beside the M25 he

data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Dq1Yy_ZdJe7lZkb1r-oVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Perhaps they harness the turbulence from passing traffic (when it isn't
static!)

--
TOJ.

here is an alternative alternative, kite turbine
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...rbine-energy#/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Does anyone recall the vertical rotating type, kind of like a centrifugal
blower in reverse.

Yes.

The good thing about it was that wind from any direction worked

Yes.

though i understand its not as efficieint as thos based on blades and
aerofoils,

Yes, if only because the area intercepted isnt as great.

and still has issues with gusts.

I remember those kites we used to have when young where they looked like
planes but the wings spun as the wind went over them.

Don’t recall any of those myself.

news
On 23/12/16 09:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of
writing (0800)

7GW now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 11:14:45 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:56:58 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Anyway, I have loads of them on the hills near me, and almost every time I've gone running up there, they're all spinning.

Under wind or grid power?

Why would they spin from grid power? Are they trying to make Scotland windier?

--
Interesting fact number 923:
Half the world's population has seen at least one Bond movie.