Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storm Barbara

On 24/12/16 11:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
It seems gusty wind is often the issue. If its constant they can be adjusted
to suit but variable direction or gusts are a death to a wind turbine, at
least the ones I know about. It takes a lot longer for pitch and direction
of the blades to be adjusted than it does for the wind to change so after a
certain point they just put them into the safest config and stop them.

I often wonder if a huge array of smaller more responsive devices might work
better, after all across the span of on of those giants the air currents
could be vastly different, putting a strain on the mountings.
Brian

well no. the smaller ones would be vastly more expensive.

Anyway the issue is the old Irishism: If you want to generate reliable
electricity don't start with wind turbines.