Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mitre saw that uses 900Watt or less?

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 11:55:32 UTC, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

A small transformer would trim that down to 900w. But a 900w genny won't run a 900w motor. Gennys are specced in VA not watts, a 900w motor is going to take somewhere around 1.2x900 = 1080VA continuous. Then there's starting current, which might be 3x run current, perhaps 3kVA for a 1kVA saw. An invertor gen would baulk at that, an old electromechanical genny may be ok with it.

A variac is another approach, wind it up until it trips, back off until it doesn't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts
(240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which
is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-EMS19.../dp/B008PFGV0K

A bit pricey but I am sure I saw it for less.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 11:55:32 UTC, RobertL wrote:
Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

Start currents for electric motors are high.
Anywhere near 900W will cause the generator to trip out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 14:43:27 UTC, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 04:06:33 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 11:55:32 UTC, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

A small transformer would trim that down to 900w. But a 900w genny won't run a 900w motor. Gennys are specced in VA not watts, a 900w motor is going to
take somewhere around 1.2x900 = 1080VA continuous. Then there's starting current, which might be 3x run current, perhaps 3kVA for a 1kVA saw.
An invertor gen would baulk at that, an old electromechanical genny may be ok with it.

I tried running a "900W" saw on a Honda EU2000i and it simply tripped
out whenever you started the saw. A much older "2kW" non-inverter
generator of unknown manufacture did the same.

2kW of lighting both were quite happy to power.

You might get round that with a switch: start on 110v and switch to 240. Or given that load is zero during startup, a series dropper could do a similar job if no 110v output.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts
(240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which
is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

Sidestep the problem:

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/products/fle...mitre-saw.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able

to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous,
1000W short burst.

That genny won't do that job. I had one and it wouldn't even drive a
700W drill once there was a load.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 December 2016 00:40:07 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able

to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous,
1000W short burst.

That genny won't do that job. I had one and it wouldn't even drive a
700W drill once there was a load.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. It sounds as if I am not going get anything that will be useful to run on my small generator.

The idea of running teh motor up an a Variac is intersting. But I haven't touched (or even seen) a Variac for 40 years.

RObert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , RobertL
wrote:
On Sunday, 11 December 2016 00:40:07 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts
(240V). i want to be able

to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous,
1000W short burst.

That genny won't do that job. I had one and it wouldn't even drive a
700W drill once there was a load.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. It sounds as if I am not going
get anything that will be useful to run on my small generator.

keep the Central Heating running - and possibly your computer

The idea of running teh motor up an a Variac is intersting. But I haven't
touched (or even seen) a Variac for 40 years.

Come & see mine.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 December 2016 09:59:09 UTC, RobertL wrote:
On Sunday, 11 December 2016 00:40:07 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able
to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous,

1000W short burst.

That genny won't do that job. I had one and it wouldn't even drive a
700W drill once there was a load.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. It sounds as if I am not going get anything that will be useful to run on my small generator.

The idea of running teh motor up an a Variac is intersting. But I haven't touched (or even seen) a Variac for 40 years.

RObert

You can still get them on ebay, and surprisingly they are still made, albeit in very small numbers. There's no reason you couldn't run a saw on that genny, just not that saw _at 240v_. So expect reduced speed - but to what extent we don't know.

Or make your own tablesaw with a handheld circular, then you can come down on the power scale. It's easy to do.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

This one is fine for under 900W ..... have one myself:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-8819.../dp/B000UQH0OI

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2016 21:32, rick wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts
(240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is
rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

This one is fine for under 900W ..... have one myself:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-8819.../dp/B000UQH0OI

I wouldn't rely on it working with the genny. Chances are that it has a
start-up current far in excess of the 4 amps or so it takes under steady
state conditions.

If your genny is like my 2.0i, overloading it - even for a fraction of a
second - sends it into some sort of limp-home mode from which you can't
recover without shutting it down and re-starting it.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 21:32:07 UTC, rick wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

This one is fine for under 900W ..... have one myself:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-8819.../dp/B000UQH0OI

heh. That surely would work. But why folk still buy those I don't know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2016 22:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/12/2016 21:32, rick wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts
(240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is
rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

This one is fine for under 900W ..... have one myself:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-8819.../dp/B000UQH0OI

I wouldn't rely on it working with the genny. Chances are that it has a
start-up current far in excess of the 4 amps or so it takes under steady
state conditions.

Looking at the picture, I suspect its start-up current is remarkably low ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/12/2016 00:24, wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 21:32:07 UTC, rick wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

This one is fine for under 900W ..... have one myself:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-8819.../dp/B000UQH0OI

heh. That surely would work. But why folk still buy those I don't know.

I bought one about 30 years ago. It still works. I splashed out £2 on a
new blade recently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2016 21:32, rick wrote:
On 10/12/2016 11:55, RobertL wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts
(240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is
rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst.

This is the closest (but no cigar) candidate so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-F...chop+saw+1000W

Many thanks

Robert

This one is fine for under 900W ..... have one myself:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-8819.../dp/B000UQH0OI

I wouldn't rely on it working with the genny. Chances are that it has a
start-up current far in excess of the 4 amps or so it takes under steady
state conditions.

Looking at the picture, I suspect its start-up current is remarkably low
;-)

Oops - you just might be right! ['Fraid I didn't check the link, and
assumed it was an electric one!]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Mitre saw /sliding mitre saw TMC[_2_] UK diy 15 July 24th 11 01:13 PM
mitre saw Fred UK diy 10 November 15th 07 01:09 AM
Mitre box Arthur 51 UK diy 3 July 18th 07 07:40 PM
Help with B&Q Mitre saw Mark UK diy 13 October 29th 05 07:29 PM
Mitre Saw SB Woodworking 1 November 19th 04 12:16 PM