Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thin bleach

I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

I use "thin bleach" for this, as I don't need or want a thickened
product. But I find that the supermarkets in my area only sell their
own brand "value" thin bleach which is very cheap but also very weak.
It seems all the "strong" bleach is the thick stuff.

The thin bleach is something like 1% sodium hypochlorite, so what I'm
lugging home is almost entirely water. Is there a better way to buy
sodium hypochlorite solution at a higher concentration?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 19:41, Caecilius wrote:
I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

I use "thin bleach" for this, as I don't need or want a thickened
product. But I find that the supermarkets in my area only sell their
own brand "value" thin bleach which is very cheap but also very weak.
It seems all the "strong" bleach is the thick stuff.

The thin bleach is something like 1% sodium hypochlorite, so what I'm
lugging home is almost entirely water. Is there a better way to buy
sodium hypochlorite solution at a higher concentration?

We buy decent 'thick' bleach and fill old Fairy liquid bottles with 9
parts water to 1 part bleach and use that for general purpose
sink/cup/drain cleaning.

Of course fully label the new concocoction with elfansafety labels and
warnings etc etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 19:41, Caecilius wrote:
I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

I use "thin bleach" for this, as I don't need or want a thickened
product. But I find that the supermarkets in my area only sell their
own brand "value" thin bleach which is very cheap but also very weak.
It seems all the "strong" bleach is the thick stuff.

The thin bleach is something like 1% sodium hypochlorite, so what I'm
lugging home is almost entirely water. Is there a better way to buy
sodium hypochlorite solution at a higher concentration?

I use Sodium Hypochlorite and Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide to clean my
sandstone patio.
I buy it in 25L containers .. they also sell in 5L ... from Bonnymans
http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 19:41:48 +0000, Caecilius
wrote:

I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

The thin bleach is something like 1% sodium hypochlorite, so what I'm
lugging home is almost entirely water. Is there a better way to buy
sodium hypochlorite solution at a higher concentration?

Larger quantities at an agricultural supplier,
This one just chosen at random
http://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/shop/...itre-8569.html

Every region has one but closer to the Home Counties ring you may
need to follow horse boxes rather than cattle trailers to find a
location.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Andy Bennet wrote:

[...]

I'm interested in this too ... but I thought that without some sort of
'stabiliser', well-diluted bleach loses efficacy after a few days.

I would be interested in knowing whether this is true or not,and if so what
sort of stabiliser bight be suitable for a d-i-yer.

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , rick
writes
On 06/12/2016 19:41, Caecilius wrote:
I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

I use "thin bleach" for this, as I don't need or want a thickened
product. But I find that the supermarkets in my area only sell their
own brand "value" thin bleach which is very cheap but also very weak.
It seems all the "strong" bleach is the thick stuff.

The thin bleach is something like 1% sodium hypochlorite, so what I'm
lugging home is almost entirely water. Is there a better way to buy
sodium hypochlorite solution at a higher concentration?

I use Sodium Hypochlorite and Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide to clean my
sandstone patio.
I buy it in 25L containers .. they also sell in 5L ... from Bonnymans
http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/

Or your nearest agricultural wholesaler. Used a lot on dairy farms. You
have probably drunk a fair bit when it is used to clean milk
pipelines:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
Andy Bennet wrote:

[...]

No it doesn't. I use it for beer bottles that have been previously
used for tomato past by the local italians who have been too
stupid to not rinse them out properly when the tomato paste
has been used. I tip the well diluted bleach from one to another
over weeks, usually leaving it in the bottle for a day or two and
it is still working fine over that time.

I would be interested in knowing whether this is true or not,

No its not.

and if so what sort of stabiliser bight be suitable for a d-i-yer.

Don't need one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 20:09:27 +0000, jkn
wrote:

Andy Bennet wrote:

[...]

I think the main stabiliser is something to keep the pH high enough.
Normally caustic soda. But if the water you dilute it with has
anything that can be oxidised, like organic material, then the sodium
hypochlorite will oxidise that and reduce its effectiveness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 19:54:58 +0000, rick
wrote:

On 06/12/2016 19:41, Caecilius wrote:
I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

I use "thin bleach" for this, as I don't need or want a thickened
product. But I find that the supermarkets in my area only sell their
own brand "value" thin bleach which is very cheap but also very weak.
It seems all the "strong" bleach is the thick stuff.

The thin bleach is something like 1% sodium hypochlorite, so what I'm
lugging home is almost entirely water. Is there a better way to buy
sodium hypochlorite solution at a higher concentration?

I use Sodium Hypochlorite and Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide to clean my
sandstone patio.
I buy it in 25L containers .. they also sell in 5L ... from Bonnymans
http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/

Thanks for the link. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for: 14%
sodium hypochlorite solution for £7.80 for 5L.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 19:41:53 UTC, Caecilius wrote:
I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

I use "thin bleach" for this, as I don't need or want a thickened
product. But I find that the supermarkets in my area only sell their
own brand "value" thin bleach which is very cheap but also very weak.
It seems all the "strong" bleach is the thick stuff.

The thin bleach is something like 1% sodium hypochlorite, so what I'm
lugging home is almost entirely water. Is there a better way to buy
sodium hypochlorite solution at a higher concentration?

There is absolutely no point in pouring bleach down the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting
jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains
occasionally etc.

snip

Whilst I'm no eco warrior I do wonder just how much (and often
unnecessary) risk we put ourselves and the environment to?

Example ... daughter recently decided to put one of those electric
air-freshener things in her bedroom and after suffering respiratory
problems, has linked them and her issues to any locations where such
things are used (and it appears what they contain and blow into the
atmosphere is currently unregulated and contain many vocs etc). I
would never use one (or any such aerosol spray etc) 'indoors' (or in
my car) because I guess that they ... or anything like that wouldn't
be 'good' for us?

The thing most people don't seem to consider is where is this 'away'
when we wash, flush or throw something 'away'?

We helped a mate pressure wash his large patio a while back and
offered us *several* gallon containers of bleach to slosh over the
patio whilst we were cleaning it. We declined, not just because didn't
particularly want to work in the fumes but because we were concerned
for the vegetation in his garden and because we considered it's use
unnecessary?

Just my general thoughts ... I'm not a chemist. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Caecilius wrote

I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning
and disinfecting jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring
down sink traps and drains occasionally etc.

Yes, that stuff is mad.

Whilst I'm no eco warrior I do wonder just how much (and often
unnecessary) risk we put ourselves and the environment to?

Example ... daughter recently decided to put one of those electric
air-freshener things in her bedroom and after suffering respiratory
problems, has linked them and her issues to any locations where
such things are used (and it appears what they contain and blow into
the atmosphere is currently unregulated and contain many vocs etc).

Its less clear that she has established any connection
with anything like rigorous science tho.

I would never use one (or any such aerosol spray etc)
'indoors' (or in my car) because I guess that they ...
or anything like that wouldn't be 'good' for us?

Even sillier.

The thing most people don't seem to consider is where is
this 'away' when we wash, flush or throw something 'away'?

Considering all the turds and other stuff like what comes
out of the dishwasher and washing machine, its unlikely
that a few loons pointlessly tipping diluted bleach down
the drain occasionally makes any real difference.

We helped a mate pressure wash his large patio a while back
and offered us *several* gallon containers of bleach to slosh
over the patio whilst we were cleaning it. We declined, not
just because didn't particularly want to work in the fumes
but because we were concerned for the vegetation in his
garden and because we considered it's use unnecessary?

Sure, but its unlikely you actually saved the world by doing that.

Just my general thoughts ... I'm not a chemist. ;-)

Or have a clue about rigorous science either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Blag your way into and out of a Booker cash'n'carry. Much cheaper.

Another good source is agricultural suppliers. Dairy hypochlorite
for washing milking machines and bulk tanks is what you want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Bleach is actually not too bad.
Ir soon breaks down to something harmless.
Phenol based disinfectants on the other hand.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If you want something to worry about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

Bleach (OT) DerbyBorn[_4_] UK diy 7 October 1st 13 10:36 AM
Ultra thin screwdriver - update on Brownells Thin-Bit set Christopher Tidy Metalworking 0 January 5th 09 02:00 AM
Ultra thin screwdriver - update on Brownells Thin-Bit set dan Metalworking 0 January 4th 09 12:34 AM
Ultra thin screwdriver - update on Brownells Thin-Bit set Karl Townsend Metalworking 0 January 2nd 09 07:21 PM
Don't Use Bleach [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 3rd 08 12:50 AM