Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double sheathed single cable on lighting.

Will this need to be replaced if I do substantial work on a house? I was hoping to leave the wiring alone and just get a new Box and get the kitchen rewired now a wall is out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 20:13:00 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will this need to be replaced if I do substantial work on a house?

Possibly not. Does it run alongside its 'partner' live/neutral/strapping wires and is there an earth cable alongside it as well?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 21:59:16 UTC, ARW wrote:
Possibly not. Does it run alongside its 'partner' live/neutral/strapping
wires and is there an earth cable alongside it as well?

The earth bit is probably the most important.

I discovered today it's possible to get single+earth sheathed cable.

(I also discovered some missing conduit bushes and earthing straps to back boxes in the bedroom, but it's been fine for the last 40 years so I've just left it wrapped in some tape for now)

Owain