Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe soldering Questions

In article ,
wrote:

[Snip]

Asbestos is still common in developing countries. I've seen asbestos
manufacturing workers taking no precautions at all - the stuff gets
everywhere.

including into the lungs of a friend, whose funeral I am attending today.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 21:29:20 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 12/4/2016 9:00 AM, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 4 December 2016 01:40:34 UTC, wrote:
I'm not going to do these myself, it's for people learning how to.

What size pipe can a standard blowtorch do?

What do you mean by a standard blow torch. (Meaningless term)

What size can a mini torch do?

Another meaningless term

What do you do with joints that fail to seal first time?

Add more flux and solder and reheat.

How would you flare a pipe end with minimal budget?

Not relevant to household plumbing.
Used more on car braking systems.

There is a (sort of) flaring tool sold by BES which is hammered into the
end of a length of 15 mm copper pipe, swageing it out so that it can be
soldered to another length without a coupling.

For fridge pipework, I had a set of swaging(?) tools for increasing the siz
of a pipe's ID to v. slightly more than its OD. Used to put about 1 dia. or
a bit more in, then join it using what I knew as Cuproflow. So long as the
pipe was clean and had been rubbed with a bit of steel wool, it didn,t need
flux.
Used an oxy-propane torch but possibly MAPP would do it.

Flaring is, well, flaring and is used in refrigeration instead of olive - if
you think that forgetting a cable clamp or whatever until after doing the
wiring is bad, try forgetting the back-nut on 1" pipe that's just long
enough! (The T-shirt didn't fit, either).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 21:52:28 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

Copper is used when it is needed.

It isnt ever needed in the third world except in industrial
situations

precisely, it is used.

where the cost of the flux and steel wool to
clean it isnt going to be a consideration.

ha ha

You still haven't said which backward country this sorry saga relates to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 00:29:25 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/12/16 00:23, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 4 December 2016 23:39:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote

Flux possibilities include tallow, soap, ZnCl, rosin, and
who kows what else. But I've not tried them with plumbing.

I guess so. ZnCl looks the most likely candidate.

Ah. Bakers fluid. Considerably more expensive than normal plumbers flux.

Why am I not surprised?

HCl £1.92 1 litre
http://darrantchemicals.co.uk/hydroc...IPTxoCqkDw_wcB

Scrap zinc 1kg 53c = 42p, 360g = 15p
http://www.scrapmonster.com/european-scrap-prices

Total £2.07 for over a litre.

Plumber's fluxes:
£4.65 125g
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73706?table=no
£5.39 125g
http://www.screwfix.com/p/la-co-flux...cap-125g/61072

Why am I not surprised?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2016 05:31, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

[Snip]

Asbestos is still common in developing countries. I've seen asbestos
manufacturing workers taking no precautions at all - the stuff gets
everywhere.

including into the lungs of a friend, whose funeral I am attending today.

It used to be in brake and clutch linings but but like the
epidemic of 'mad cow deaths', only seems to have affected
a few people, who probably have a poor set of genes that
render them more susceptible to aggressive toxins and
contaminents.

When I was about 10 I spent more time on the farm behind
where I lived, than I did at home.

They put up quite a few sheds over a few years and I well
remember standing underneath a corrugated asbestos roof
being installed, where two of the four overlapping sheet
corners were sawn off aloft. The dust rained down like
snow and it was great 'fun' to stand underneath.

I'll be collecting me old age pension in a few months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 12:05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo ,
escribió:

What could be used as a heat protecting mat on a budget of 10p?

A piece of slate?

A ceramic tile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 16:03:37 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Another flux possibility is concentrated phosphoric acid (which also
works very well for soldering stainless steel). This should be readily
available from the nearest soft drink bottling plant.

John

Soldering chromed pipe Andrew Gabriel UK diy 28 January 28th 19 09:56 AM
Soldering copper pipe Tim S UK diy 25 October 21st 08 07:11 PM
resistance soldering questions DOC Metalworking 2 January 5th 05 08:27 PM
Pipe soldering technique andrewpreece UK diy 23 November 21st 04 10:49 AM
beginner's questions about soldering Hoyt McKagen Metalworking 43 December 21st 03 05:23 AM