Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe soldering Questions

wrote in message
On Sunday, 4 December 2016 09:00:57 UTC, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 4 December 2016 01:40:34 UTC, tabby wrote:

I'm not going to do these myself, it's for people learning how to.

What size pipe can a standard blowtorch do?

What do you mean by a standard blow torch. (Meaningless term)

What size can a mini torch do?

Another meaningless term

What do you do with joints that fail to seal first time?

Add more flux and solder and reheat.

How would you flare a pipe end with minimal budget?

Not relevant to household plumbing.
Used more on car braking systems.

Flaring avoids buying a fitting, at the price of time
& work. I've seen it done on domestic piping.

Yeah, I have too.

What could be used as flux if you have a flux budget of 50p?
What could be used as a heat protecting mat on a budget of 10p?

You buy the proper stuff if you want to be successful.

I do. The question is how could it be done for much less.

You didnt say that initially.

Can loose sand be used to clean pipes before soldering?

It could with a lot more effort

Are you trolling?

No, I want to know how to solder pipes at
minimum cost for developing world use.

Then you should have said that.

I'll try sand cleaning a pipe, see if it works, I suspect
the sand will leave too much contamination.

No reason why it has to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 11:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Jeeze - how much is a ball of steel wool? Even a kitchen
scourer would probably work.

I read kitchen green scourers were actually recommended as wire wool can
leave steel crap in the pipe which damages boilers.

FWIW I tried a couple of weeks ago and green scourers do appear to work
quite quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 19:06, Nick wrote:

I read kitchen green scourers were actually recommended as wire wool can
leave steel crap in the pipe which damages boilers.

FWIW I tried a couple of weeks ago and green scourers do appear to work
quite quickly.

You can use them even when they're "dead" with regards to scouring pots.

Only thing to e aware of is not to use them on hot pipe.
I'm pedantic about seeing a perfect bead of solder around the end of the
joint which often means a quick re-clean and touch-up after the initial
joint is made; green scourers melt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

I would be careful about the surface exploding out.
Slate is formed by compression, not by firing.

Slate is used in fireplace hearths, indeed my own fireplace has a slate
hearth.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Andy Burns wrote
tabbypurr wrote

These questions are for plumbing in the developing world

So they can afford 28mm copper tube at £20/length but
not £5 for a tub of flux that will do hundreds of joints?

Copper pipe plumbing is used in the developing world,

Much more often steel plumbing is, for a reason.

And plastic plumbing in spades now.

albeit not as widely as here. An unnecessary £5 spend is out of the
question.

BULL****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

I would be careful about the surface exploding out.
Slate is formed by compression, not by firing.

Slate is used in fireplace hearths, indeed my own fireplace has a slate
hearth.

I have seen slate explode when hot.
I have also seen asbestos cement explode in a fire (1).
Don't assume that non-combustable makes it 100% safe in a fire.

As ~7 year old my brother and I decided to play firemen and set fire to
our sisters dolls house up the garden, the roof went with a very big
bang and bits went everywhere. The sister wasn't happy. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 18:56:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Sunday, 4 December 2016 11:04:08 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes:

I'm not going to do these myself, it's for people learning how to.

What size pipe can a standard blowtorch do?

I've done 28mm without any difficulty, providing cylinder isn't
getting close to empty (in which case power output noticably drops,
but it will still do 22mm and 15mm).

What size can a mini torch do?

No idea - I never tried to use one for plumbing, and how
small is *mini*? I suspect my Aldi one might do 8mm if I
tried.

What do you do with joints that fail to seal first time?

Depends on the situation, and why it failed.
Fortunately, it's not something that happens to me often.

How would you flare a pipe end with minimal budget?

I have a flaring tool. I wouldn't try without one (and I
rarely use it anyway, and ISTR it's not allowed for gas
use).

What could be used as flux if you have a flux budget of 50p?
What could be used as a heat protecting mat on a budget of 10p?

If that's all you've got, you won't be able to afford any
proper tools/fittings, so forget about plumbing.

These questions are for plumbing in the developing world.

You should have said that.

In hindsight I agree.

Flux possibilities include tallow, soap, ZnCl, rosin, and
who kows what else. But I've not tried them with plumbing.

They are useless for plumbing.

That's odd, all the old school writing on it I read when I was a kid said to use killed spirits, which is ZnCl. And I've used rosin plenty with electronics.

A heat mat of wet cardboard sandwiched between opened
flat food tins works, someone might have a better idea.

I use offcuts of what we call fibro. Works fine.

Do you know exactly what it is? Presumably cement adhered fibres of some sort.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 19:04:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tabbypurr wrote:

These questions are for plumbing in the developing world

So they can afford 28mm copper tube at £20/length but not £5 for a tub of
flux that will do hundreds of joints?

Yeah, real logic failure there.

Plastic plumbing makes a lot more sense if you are that strapped for cash..

Or steel plumbing if that isnt feasible for some reason.

There certainly is a logic failure. At the risk of stating the obvious, plastic is used where it will do, steel is used where it will do, bamboo is used where it will do etc. Copper is used when it is needed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 19:57:10 UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 04/12/2016 19:20, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes:

No, I want to know how to solder pipes at minimum cost for developing world use. I'll try sand cleaning a pipe, see if it works, I suspect the sand will leave too much contamination.

I can tell you it jams solder fittings such that they won't budge
(without soldering). When I filled a 28mm pipe with dry sand to
bend it, I temporarily pushed capiliary endcaps on to stop the
sand running out. No way would either one come off afterwards (and
they were nowhere near the bend deformation). I had to cut the ends
off the pipe and chuck them with the end-caps. (Fortunately, I had
allowed spare pipe and not accurately measured the bend from an end.)

BTW, I cleaned the pipe afterwards by sucking a large cotton wool
ball through it many times with the vacuum cleaner.

The other way my old 'Working with copper' book gives for bending
pipe is to fill the pipe with molten lead and seal the ends. Then
bend it and the pressure in the lead will prevent it collapsing. It
wouldn't surprise me if that method was still used in the 3rd world.

oh yes, quick, convenient and safe, love it.

I'd not heard of that one before. I've seen ice used. Not sure but I think it had a bit of washing up liquid in it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 19:58:31 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/12/2016 19:45, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

I would be careful about the surface exploding out.
Slate is formed by compression, not by firing.

Slate is used in fireplace hearths, indeed my own fireplace has a slate
hearth.

I have seen slate explode when hot.
I have also seen asbestos cement explode in a fire (1).
Don't assume that non-combustable makes it 100% safe in a fire.

Cement asbestos sheet explodes in a fire IIRC, as does cement & sand sheet. Floppy asbestos works great, but I can't recommend that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 19:57:05 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

oh yes, quick, convenient and safe, love it.

They make springs for that very purpose. **** messing around with molten
lead!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/4/2016 9:00 AM, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 4 December 2016 01:40:34 UTC, wrote:
I'm not going to do these myself, it's for people learning how to.

What size pipe can a standard blowtorch do?

What do you mean by a standard blow torch. (Meaningless term)

What size can a mini torch do?

Another meaningless term

What do you do with joints that fail to seal first time?

Add more flux and solder and reheat.

How would you flare a pipe end with minimal budget?

Not relevant to household plumbing.
Used more on car braking systems.

There is a (sort of) flaring tool sold by BES which is hammered into the
end of a length of 15 mm copper pipe, swageing it out so that it can be
soldered to another length without a coupling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/4/2016 12:04 PM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , MrCheerful
escribió:

So
he installed barbed wire instead, still carried the current and had
little value as scrap.

I like it

So do I!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/4/2016 8:57 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 19:57:05 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

oh yes, quick, convenient and safe, love it.

They make springs for that very purpose. **** messing around with molten
lead!

No, springs are a PITA. Rather than lead, use Cerrobend or Wood's metal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr writes:

[...]

Yeah, my brain fart there, I didnt register that one.

And I've used rosin plenty with electronics.

Not sure its viable with plumbing and
isnt likely to be any cheaper than flux.

A heat mat of wet cardboard sandwiched between opened
flat food tins works, someone might have a better idea.

I use offcuts of what we call fibro. Works fine.

Do you know exactly what it is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos_cement
Very common indeed in the third world, when
they dont use corrugated iron which gets stinking
hot in the summer and ****ing cold in the winter.

Presumably cement adhered fibres of some sort.

Yeah, and in the first world hasnt had asbestos in it since
the mid 70s. Presumably it still does in the third world.

We have recently had some stuff turn up from china with asbestos
in it, used in building, which had to be removed and replaced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tabbypurr wrote:

These questions are for plumbing in the developing world

So they can afford 28mm copper tube at £20/length but not £5 for a tub
of
flux that will do hundreds of joints?

Yeah, real logic failure there.

Plastic plumbing makes a lot more sense if you are that strapped for
cash.

Or steel plumbing if that isnt feasible for some reason.

There certainly is a logic failure.

Yep.

At the risk of stating the obvious, plastic is used where it will do,

Which is almost always now, particularly
when price is important in the third world.

steel is used where it will do,

Which is everywhere, particularly when you dont care about
the much higher labour involved in threading the pipe etc.

bamboo is used where it will do etc.

I'd be surprised if its used much at all anymore given that
plastic is so cheap and works anywhere where bamboo does.

I bet its only the worst of the stupid greeny survivalists
that use bamboo for plumbing much anymore.

Copper is used when it is needed.

It isnt ever needed in the third world except in industrial
situations where the cost of the flux and steel wool to
clean it isnt going to be a consideration.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

I would be careful about the surface exploding out.
Slate is formed by compression, not by firing.

Slate is used in fireplace hearths, indeed my own fireplace has a slate
hearth.

I have seen slate explode when hot.
I have also seen asbestos cement explode in a fire (1).
Don't assume that non-combustable makes it 100% safe in a fire.

Cement asbestos sheet explodes in a fire IIRC,
as does cement & sand sheet.

But not when used behind something being soldered.

That's what the pros use here even when
brazing with an oxy torch instead of soldering.

Floppy asbestos works great, but I can't recommend that.

Best not to in the third world where
it almost certainly still is asbestos.

Not that its all that dangerous in that situation.

Mate of mine used to do maintenance work in submarines, and
they used to throw loose asbestos at each other. Hardly any of
them ended up with asbestosis and he died of something else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

I would be careful about the surface exploding out.
Slate is formed by compression, not by firing.

Slate is used in fireplace hearths, indeed my own fireplace has a slate
hearth.

Fireplace hearths do not get very hot

Its the firebacks that take the punishment

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

Flux possibilities include tallow, soap, ZnCl, rosin, and
who kows what else. But I've not tried them with plumbing.

They are useless for plumbing.

That's odd, all the old school writing on it I read when
I was a kid said to use killed spirits, which is ZnCl.

Yeah, my brain fart there, I didnt register that one.

And I've used rosin plenty with electronics.

Not sure its viable with plumbing and
isnt likely to be any cheaper than flux.

it's easy to get from scrap wood. I've not tried it with a blowtorch.

A heat mat of wet cardboard sandwiched between opened
flat food tins works, someone might have a better idea.

I use offcuts of what we call fibro. Works fine.

Do you know exactly what it is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos_cement
Very common indeed in the third world, when
they dont use corrugated iron which gets stinking
hot in the summer and ****ing cold in the winter.

Presumably cement adhered fibres of some sort.

Yeah, and in the first world hasnt had asbestos in it since
the mid 70s. Presumably it still does in the third world.

We have recently had some stuff turn up from china with asbestos
in it, used in building, which had to be removed and replaced.

Asbestos is still common in developing countries. I've seen asbestos manufacturing workers taking no precautions at all - the stuff gets everywhere.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 21:52:28 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

Copper is used when it is needed.

It isnt ever needed in the third world except in industrial
situations

precisely, it is used.

where the cost of the flux and steel wool to
clean it isnt going to be a consideration.

ha ha

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tabbypurr wrote:

These questions are for plumbing in the developing world

So they can afford 28mm copper tube at £20/length but not £5 for
a tub of flux that will do hundreds of joints?

Yeah, real logic failure there.

Plastic plumbing makes a lot more sense if you are that strapped
for cash..

Or steel plumbing if that isnt feasible for some reason.

There certainly is a logic failure. At the risk of stating the
obvious, plastic is used where it will do, steel is used where it
will do, bamboo is used where it will do etc. Copper is used when it
is needed.

And solder is used when it is needed and blowlamps are used when its
needed and wire wool is used when its needed and flux is used when its
needed and soldering mats are used when they are needed.....

You're a mine of useful information.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote

Flux possibilities include tallow, soap, ZnCl, rosin, and
who kows what else. But I've not tried them with plumbing.

They are useless for plumbing.

That's odd, all the old school writing on it I read when
I was a kid said to use killed spirits, which is ZnCl.

Yeah, my brain fart there, I didnt register that one.

And I've used rosin plenty with electronics.

Not sure its viable with plumbing and
isnt likely to be any cheaper than flux.

it's easy to get from scrap wood.

That isnt what is used with electronics and it isnt
easy to get enough to use with plumbing either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin#Production

I've not tried it with a blowtorch.

That's obvious, it will just burn.

A heat mat of wet cardboard sandwiched between opened
flat food tins works, someone might have a better idea.

I use offcuts of what we call fibro. Works fine.

Do you know exactly what it is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos_cement
Very common indeed in the third world, when
they dont use corrugated iron which gets stinking
hot in the summer and ****ing cold in the winter.

Presumably cement adhered fibres of some sort.

Yeah, and in the first world hasnt had asbestos in it since
the mid 70s. Presumably it still does in the third world.

We have recently had some stuff turn up from china with asbestos
in it, used in building, which had to be removed and replaced.

Asbestos is still common in developing countries.

Yeah, that's what I said.

I've seen asbestos manufacturing workers taking
no precautions at all - the stuff gets everywhere.

And they are likely smokers to, which makes it much worse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote

Copper is used when it is needed.

It isnt ever needed in the third world except in industrial situations

precisely, it is used.

But only where the extra cost of the flux and steel wool doesnt
matter because the cost of the copper is so much higher.

where the cost of the flux and steel wool to
clean it isnt going to be a consideration.

ha ha

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 23:39:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote

Flux possibilities include tallow, soap, ZnCl, rosin, and
who kows what else. But I've not tried them with plumbing.

And I've used rosin plenty with electronics.

Not sure its viable with plumbing and
isnt likely to be any cheaper than flux.

it's easy to get from scrap wood.

That isnt what is used with electronics and it isnt
easy to get enough to use with plumbing either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin#Production

it's easier to harvest than that

I've not tried it with a blowtorch.

That's obvious, it will just burn.

I guess so. ZnCl looks the most likely candidate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/16 00:23, wrote:
On Sunday, 4 December 2016 23:39:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote

Flux possibilities include tallow, soap, ZnCl, rosin, and
who kows what else. But I've not tried them with plumbing.

And I've used rosin plenty with electronics.

Not sure its viable with plumbing and
isnt likely to be any cheaper than flux.

it's easy to get from scrap wood.

That isnt what is used with electronics and it isnt
easy to get enough to use with plumbing either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin#Production

it's easier to harvest than that

I've not tried it with a blowtorch.

That's obvious, it will just burn.

I guess so. ZnCl looks the most likely candidate.

Ah. Bakers fluid. Considerably more expensive than normal plumbers flux.

Why am I not surprised?

NT

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote

Flux possibilities include tallow, soap, ZnCl, rosin, and
who kows what else. But I've not tried them with plumbing.

And I've used rosin plenty with electronics.

Not sure its viable with plumbing and
isnt likely to be any cheaper than flux.

it's easy to get from scrap wood.

That isnt what is used with electronics and it isnt
easy to get enough to use with plumbing either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin#Production

it's easier to harvest than that

But isnt any use when soldering plumbing when you do.

I've not tried it with a blowtorch.

That's obvious, it will just burn.

I guess so. ZnCl looks the most likely candidate.

Yeah, that would certainly be viable and easy to do too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

But easy to do cheaply yourself in a third world country.

Why am I not surprised?

Soldering chromed pipe Andrew Gabriel UK diy 28 January 28th 19 09:56 AM
Soldering copper pipe Tim S UK diy 25 October 21st 08 07:11 PM
resistance soldering questions DOC Metalworking 2 January 5th 05 08:27 PM
Pipe soldering technique andrewpreece UK diy 23 November 21st 04 10:49 AM
beginner's questions about soldering Hoyt McKagen Metalworking 43 December 21st 03 05:23 AM