Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric wiring question

I am trying to move a 3 gang (all 1 way) switch from one side of a door
to the other.

I want to use 2 x 1.5mm T&E cables, which is all I have at hand, in this
way:

Cable 1:
Brown - common Live
Blue - Switched live for switch 1

Cable 2:
Brown - Switched live for switch 2
Blue - Switched live for switch 3

Earth joined and connected on either end.

The "old" switch location will be plastered over and I intend to label
the cables in the new location.

Is this acceptable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/16 22:32, JoeJoe wrote:
I am trying to move a 3 gang (all 1 way) switch from one side of a door
to the other.

I want to use 2 x 1.5mm T&E cables, which is all I have at hand, in this
way:

Cable 1:
Brown - common Live
Blue - Switched live for switch 1

Cable 2:
Brown - Switched live for switch 2
Blue - Switched live for switch 3

Earth joined and connected on either end.

The "old" switch location will be plastered over and I intend to label
the cables in the new location.

Is this acceptable?

Yes - absolutely fine, IF all lights are on the same breaker (the one
place you might fall foul is the hall or landing where switches might
carry feeds from upstairs and downstairs circuits). You cannot mix
circuits (as in CU circuits) in one cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

I am trying to move a 3 gang (all 1 way) switch from one side of a door
to the other.

I want to use 2 x 1.5mm T&E cables, which is all I have at hand, in this
way:

Cable 1:
Brown - common Live
Blue - Switched live for switch 1

Cable 2:
Brown - Switched live for switch 2
Blue - Switched live for switch 3

You'd want brown sleeving on the blue wires.

Earth joined and connected on either end.

The "old" switch location will be plastered over and I intend to label
the cables in the new location.

What route will the cables take? permitted zones are 150mm from the
edges of walls/ceilings, or within the horizontal or vertical bounds of
the wiring plates,

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lectric_cables

the wires to the new switch should be fine if you go horizontal or
vertical from there, but if you're going to remove the old switch and
not put a blank plate there, it won't leave a clue to anyone that wires
are there and plastered over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2016 22:46, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

I am trying to move a 3 gang (all 1 way) switch from one side of a door
to the other.

I want to use 2 x 1.5mm T&E cables, which is all I have at hand, in this
way:

Cable 1:
Brown - common Live
Blue - Switched live for switch 1

Cable 2:
Brown - Switched live for switch 2
Blue - Switched live for switch 3

You'd want brown sleeving on the blue wires.

Earth joined and connected on either end.

The "old" switch location will be plastered over and I intend to label
the cables in the new location.

What route will the cables take? permitted zones are 150mm from the
edges of walls/ceilings, or within the horizontal or vertical bounds of
the wiring plates,

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lectric_cables

Cables are running around the door frame.

the wires to the new switch should be fine if you go horizontal or
vertical from there, but if you're going to remove the old switch and
not put a blank plate there, it won't leave a clue to anyone that wires
are there and plastered over.

I'll probably cover with a blank plate, as it will be hidden behind the
door anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2016 22:36, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/12/16 22:32, JoeJoe wrote:
I am trying to move a 3 gang (all 1 way) switch from one side of a door
to the other.

I want to use 2 x 1.5mm T&E cables, which is all I have at hand, in this
way:

Cable 1:
Brown - common Live
Blue - Switched live for switch 1

Cable 2:
Brown - Switched live for switch 2
Blue - Switched live for switch 3

Earth joined and connected on either end.

The "old" switch location will be plastered over and I intend to label
the cables in the new location.

Is this acceptable?

Yes - absolutely fine, IF all lights are on the same breaker (the one
place you might fall foul is the hall or landing where switches might
carry feeds from upstairs and downstairs circuits). You cannot mix
circuits (as in CU circuits) in one cable.

Thanks a lot!

All 3 lights are on the same lighting ring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Cables are running around the door frame.

on surface? that would be ok, but in any gap between door casing and
architrave wouldn't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2016 23:24, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

Cables are running around the door frame.

on surface? that would be ok, but in any gap between door casing and
architrave wouldn't

I know... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:

in any gap between door casing and architrave wouldn't [be ok]

I know... ;-)

Couldn't remember whether it was you who earlier had linked to an
american site showing how to do it that way :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/16 23:04, JoeJoe wrote:

All 3 lights are on the same lighting ring.

Noting the point earlier about cable routing and sleeving the cores,
then it all sounds fine.

The only core you can never "mis-use" is the uninsulated CPC/earth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

Since its likely that the wire drops straight from the ceiling to the
switch, could you not carfully break out a bit of plaster near the
ceiling to expose the cable. Then you could cout it, crimp on an
extension and wire across the top or the door in the top 150mm zone and
then down to the new switch.

If its a upstairs light, then just move the entrance point of the cable
to the switch in the loft (or fit a pull switch for a low hassle solution).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

or fit a pull switch for a low hassle solution

Sepaate red, green and blue cords for the three gangs? :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

It is in the ground floor of a two floor house. Rooms are all decorated
(lining paper, coving along the ceiling, etc), and I simply cannot be
bothered doing it all again, so minimal disruption is what I am after.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 12:00, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

or fit a pull switch for a low hassle solution

Sepaate red, green and blue cords for the three gangs? :-P

Yup, three pull switches may not look so good!

Sorry, was forgetting that bit!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 09:39, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/12/16 23:04, JoeJoe wrote:

All 3 lights are on the same lighting ring.

Noting the point earlier about cable routing and sleeving the cores,
then it all sounds fine.

The only core you can never "mis-use" is the uninsulated CPC/earth.

Great! Thanks a lot.