Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coronet Major - A dilemma

On Sunday, 8 June 2003 21:20:05 UTC+1, RzB wrote:
I recently purchased a job lot of woodworking tools/machinery.
Amongst the bits was a Coronet Major. This is a lathe, table saw,
planer, thicknesser combination from the 60's "ish"... see pix.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Lathe-for-Web.jpg

The dilemma is - what to do with it? I am a complete newbie as
far as turning is concerned. I do not want to get heavily into
turning but would like a lathe for the odd time that it's needed.
I have no need of the saw table/thicknesser/planer.
Should I sell it?
Should I keep it - just for the lathe part?
Is this a suitable machine for a newbie?
Thanks,
Roy

I have been a wood-turner for sixty years, and in my opinion the Coronet Major is far and away the best lathe of its kind, coupled with a very robust saw bench. And I have owned several of each (lathes and bench saws). My current Major with an extended bed will turn anything from a large (5ft plus) newel post to a lace bobbin - and does. Whatever you do, keep the lathe and the saw, but as you are a novice, get shot of the rest of the gear (or store it - you won't get real money for any of it) and concentrate on learning wood turning. Don't go on potty courses - just buy some hardwood and a roughing out gouge and see how you get on. I have about 30 turning chisels, gouges etc but rarely use more than three on a job. In recent years there has been a growing demand for arty-crafty turned stuff, and you may get lucky turning such junk from dodgy bits of timber. I know a guy who charges outrageous prices to craft shops for stuff I wouldn't give houseroom to. But properly learned, wood turning is a lovely thing to be doing. Around now I make toys for my huge family, almost all made on the Coronet. Tops, wheeled vehicles etc. One final point - the Coronet has a lovely tapered phosphor-bronze bearing in the headstock mandrel. Check this for wear - it is really easy to adjust - and you will be rewarded by really smooth and quiet running. Another final point - don't try turning bowls unless your Coronet has a slow turning speed, usually found on a five-speed box. Always learn the basic skills using small pieces of timber, otherwise there is a risk of injury from things flying out from the lathe. As a general rule, though, woodturning is an extremely safe pastime, especially if you work between centres. If you want any further advice, or a chat, ring me on 01691 654136 and I will bore the pants off you. Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I expect the op has resolved his dilemma in the intervening 13 years
since raising the issue or even died?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
I expect the op has resolved his dilemma in the intervening 13 years
since raising the issue or even died?

But it was a nice, worthwhile post. If the OP is like me, he might still
have the lathe and still be hoping he'll reach a round tuit.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2016 12:23, Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes
I expect the op has resolved his dilemma in the intervening 13 years
since raising the issue or even died?

But it was a nice, worthwhile post. If the OP is like me, he might still
have the lathe and still be hoping he'll reach a round tuit.

Indeed, it prompted me to go find out what one looked like. Turns out
they are quite interesting machines:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/

I quite admire the design effort that managed to make such a versatile
machine and range of attachments, but part of me keeps thinking, I am
not quite sure I would have started with a lathe as the foundation of
the system.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

it prompted me to go find out what one looked like. Turns out
they are quite interesting machines:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/

There was one on ebay for a ton the other day (if you've got a
van/estate and fancy a drive darn sarf somewhere)

Coronet Minor teepees Woodturning 4 May 15th 17 09:19 PM
For sale Coronet (The major) wood turning lathe ageing rocker Woodturning 2 June 9th 06 03:10 PM
Coronet Elf secondhand value davidhs Woodturning 0 February 18th 06 08:50 PM
Major, major, major Lee Valley gloat. Dave Balderstone Woodworking 39 June 15th 05 11:08 AM
Coronet Metal Shear [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 15th 05 06:58 PM