Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default creosote

20l drum of creosote had hard lumos in the bottom and lots of sludge. Is this any where in the region of normal ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 09:18:25 -0800 (PST), fred
wrote:

20l drum of creosote had hard lumos in the bottom and lots of sludge. Is this any where in the region of normal ?

Normal. You mean posting stuff like this on a newsgroup?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:

20l drum of creosote had hard lumos in the bottom and lots of sludge. Is this
any where in the region of normal ?

Funnily enough, i was going ask a similar question a couple of weeks
ago, but decided it wasn't worth it.

My question was going to be: what exactly are the rocky sediments
deposited in an old-ish 20l drum of creosote? I can hear them swilling
around, but there's no way they'll come out for me to have a look.

In the end, I decided I was just being curious: I still slapped on the
creosote, in the knowledge that it is probably missing something.

(BTW: this is indeed real, genuine, creosote.)

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 10:05:13 PM UTC, Another John wrote:
In article ,
fred wrote:

20l drum of creosote had hard lumos in the bottom and lots of sludge. Is this
any where in the region of normal ?

Funnily enough, i was going ask a similar question a couple of weeks
ago, but decided it wasn't worth it.

My question was going to be: what exactly are the rocky sediments
deposited in an old-ish 20l drum of creosote? I can hear them swilling
around, but there's no way they'll come out for me to have a look.

In the end, I decided I was just being curious: I still slapped on the
creosote, in the knowledge that it is probably missing something.

(BTW: this is indeed real, genuine, creosote.)

J.

Well I had to go back for a second 20l and the operator said that yes, it does settle out, so that might be an explanation. I will try mixing the old sludge into the new 20 l and see how it goes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes
fred wrote:

20l drum of creosote had hard lumos in the bottom and lots of
sludge. Is this
any where in the region of normal ?

Funnily enough, i was going ask a similar question a couple of weeks
ago, but decided it wasn't worth it.

My question was going to be: what exactly are the rocky sediments
deposited in an old-ish 20l drum of creosote? I can hear them swilling
around, but there's no way they'll come out for me to have a look.

In the end, I decided I was just being curious: I still slapped on the
creosote, in the knowledge that it is probably missing something.

(BTW: this is indeed real, genuine, creosote.)

J.

Well I had to go back for a second 20l and the operator said that yes,
it does settle out, so that might be an explanation. I will try mixing
the old sludge into the new 20 l and see how it goes.

I've had similar problems with stuff claimed to be authentic.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim, why do you say 'claimed to be authentic'? I'm fairly certain what I got was authentic as it was supplied by a company who manufacture pressure treated wood products including post and rail fencing for horses who apparently wil not chew wood treated with creosote and also telegraph poles etc. It certainly has the right persistant pong.

Did you think the product with which yoo had the peoblem with slidge was not authentic ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes
Tim, why do you say 'claimed to be authentic'? I'm fairly certain what
I got was authentic as it was supplied by a company who manufacture
pressure treated wood products including post and rail fencing for
horses who apparently wil not chew wood treated with creosote and also
telegraph poles etc. It certainly has the right persistant pong.

Did you think the product with which yoo had the peoblem with slidge
was not authentic ?

In a word... yes.

Genuine creosote has been unobtainable though my usual trade sources for
some time.

Last year I needed to repair some post and rail fencing and managed to
find an on-line supplier. Genuine traditional coal tar creosote
according to the blurb. I opted for dark brown.

The product was clearly an imitation: wrong smell, colouring sedimented
out, gelled after a few weeks storage. Could still be used provided the
container was given a vigorous shake every few minutes during
application.

Whether it is as effective remains to be seen. I expect it meets
whatever regulations got the real stuff taken off the market.

--
Tim Lamb

Creosote Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 8 September 18th 14 05:40 PM
Creosote Slider UK diy 7 October 2nd 08 08:23 PM
Creosote. :¬) www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] UK diy 17 August 27th 08 08:29 AM
Creosote versus Creosote substitute Vortex2 UK diy 10 July 22nd 08 01:50 PM
What to use instead of creosote AlanC UK diy 6 February 26th 06 11:39 AM