Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Creosote versus Creosote substitute

Over the past couple of weekends I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour [exactly
what it is called is a matter of family debate] over our garden patio. Very
satisfying.

Last night I treated it with Wickes "Creosote Substitute".

Is it as effective as genuine creosote? It certainly does not seem to
penetrate (soak in) as well and is utterly unpleasant stuff....

Should I expect substitute creosote to last as long as the "real McCoy"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jul, 09:42, "Vortex2"
wrote:
Over the past couple of weekends I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour [exactly
what it is called is a matter of family debate] over our garden patio. Very
satisfying.

Last night I treated it with Wickes "Creosote Substitute".

Is it as effective as genuine creosote? It certainly does not seem to
penetrate (soak in) as well and is utterly unpleasant stuff....

Should I expect substitute creosote to last as long as the "real McCoy"?

I used some creosote substitute from B&Q and it seemed exactly the
same as I remembered creosote, and had that evocotive "old shed,
school caretaker, cricket ground, telegraph pole" smell. Did not soak
in instantly in all areas, but I was using planed timber, so that is
not surprising.
I had done a frame over the top of a back garden gate, and when I
looked at the top of it out of the upstairs window the other day (4
months later) it had lightened in colour a bit, and I thought I need
to redo it. Not sure it creosote would be more resilient.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex2 wrote:
Over the past couple of weekends I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour
[exactly what it is called is a matter of family debate] over our
garden patio. Very satisfying.

I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour to cover our largish gas barbeque, so you
can cook in the rain.

Daughter christened it a gazebq.

From Wikipedia;

Gazebos are freestanding, or attached to a garden wall, roofed, and open on
all sides; they provide shade, basic shelter, ornamental features in a
landscape, and a place to rest.

A pergola is a garden feature forming a shaded walk or passageway of pillars
that support cross beams and a sturdy open lattice, upon which woody vines
are trained.

And this from elsewhere;

Arbours are covered, sheltered spaces that often contain a seat. Differing
from pergolas as they usually have just one open side, arbours are also not
part of a garden through route.

So know we know :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Vortex2 wrote:
Over the past couple of weekends I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour
[exactly what it is called is a matter of family debate] over our
garden patio. Very satisfying.

I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour to cover our largish gas barbeque, so you
can cook in the rain.

Daughter christened it a gazebq.

I like that word.

From Wikipedia;

Gazebos are freestanding, or attached to a garden wall, roofed, and open
on all sides; they provide shade, basic shelter, ornamental features in a
landscape, and a place to rest.

A pergola is a garden feature forming a shaded walk or passageway of
pillars that support cross beams and a sturdy open lattice, upon which
woody vines are trained.

And this from elsewhere;

Arbours are covered, sheltered spaces that often contain a seat. Differing
from pergolas as they usually have just one open side, arbours are also
not part of a garden through route.

So know we know :-)

My problem is not solved.

The structure is freestanding, open all sides but does not have a roof.
Therefore not a gazebo.

It is not linear (it is hexagonal) therefore not a pergola.

Fully open, and therefore not a arbour.

A new name is therefore needed....but for now I personally believe it is
more gazebo-ish than anything else.

ps. pix here (pre-treatment) if you're curious:

http://home.btconnect.com/vortex/gazebo/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jul, 10:37, "Vortex2"
wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in dia.com...

Vortex2 wrote:
Over the past couple of weekends I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour
[exactly what it is called is a matter of family debate] over our
garden patio. Very satisfying.

I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour to cover our largish gas barbeque, so you
can cook in the rain.

Daughter christened it a gazebq.

I like that word.

From Wikipedia;

[...]

Looks good.
It would be useful to have a cover you can put on for rainy days, wet
barbecues etc.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex2 wrote:
Over the past couple of weekends I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour
[exactly what it is called is a matter of family debate] over our
garden patio. Very satisfying.

I built a pergola/gazebo/arbour to cover our largish gas barbeque,
so you can cook in the rain.

Daughter christened it a gazebq.

I like that word.

From Wikipedia;

[...]

I reckon its a pergola.

A pergola is a garden feature forming a shaded walk or passageway of
pillars that support cross beams and a sturdy open lattice, upon
which woody vines are trained.

It has a path going in & out, and it provides shade. Cross beams, sturdy
open lattice?

Nice bit of joinery BTW, that central part of the roof must have been a
bugger!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks good.
It would be useful to have a cover you can put on for rainy days, wet
barbecues etc.
Simon.

In due course I envisage roofing 2 segments for a nominal
barbie/eating/drinking shelter.

Beta-testing is scheduled to occur next weekend, but I think the smell of
creosote could affect the bouquet of my target 5 litre can of Lowenbrau.

Hopefullly over a few years we'll get good plant coverage. That's not my
department though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I reckon its a pergola.

A pergola is a garden feature forming a shaded walk or passageway of
pillars that support cross beams and a sturdy open lattice, upon
which woody vines are trained.

It has a path going in & out, and it provides shade. Cross beams, sturdy
open lattice?

Nice bit of joinery BTW, that central part of the roof must have been a
bugger!

£100 worth of 4 x 2 and a couple of boxes of Spax screws, and it kept me off
the streets for a couple of weekends.

The central hub thingy was a bugger (took 2 attempts to get the angles
right).

It's pretty stiff but I'm probably going to need to upgrade the bracing at
the corners to make it a little more rigid. You see the posts are not
buried in the ground, merely located on rebar stakes that stick up 6-8
inches inside.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:37:55 +0100, Vortex2 wrote:

ps. pix here (pre-treatment) if you're curious:

http://home.btconnect.com/vortex/gazebo/

That timber has the green tinge of tannelised or other treatment. Why do
you feel the need to use creosote? For colour use a normal wood stain as
the timber has already been treated for rot...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:37:55 +0100, Vortex2 wrote:

ps. pix here (pre-treatment) if you're curious:

http://home.btconnect.com/vortex/gazebo/

That timber has the green tinge of tannelised or other treatment. Why do
you feel the need to use creosote? For colour use a normal wood stain as
the timber has already been treated for rot...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Too late. It's done. I just was not expecting the creosote substitute to
be unpleasant to use.

Also "belt and braces" I wanted to make sure the cut surfaces were properly
treated, especially at the top apex.

If I was to make another one (not likely in reality) I'd stain/treat all the
timber on the ground before assembly. It would have been much less hassle.
That was my key error.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

On 22 Jul, 10:37, "Vortex2"
wrote:
It is not linear (it is hexagonal) therefore not a pergola.
A new name is therefore needed....but for now I personally believe it is
more gazebo-ish than anything else.

A Hexebo?

Getting rid of Creosote smell ARWadsworth UK diy 17 March 30th 07 09:05 PM
Chimney Creosote [email protected] Home Repair 13 November 24th 06 09:24 PM
What to use instead of creosote AlanC UK diy 6 February 26th 06 11:39 AM
Creosote substitute VivienB UK diy 2 February 27th 05 08:12 PM
using creosote - legal? Brian Reay UK diy 19 October 15th 04 09:56 AM