Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney Creosote

Hi folks - I checked my chimney yesterday. It is an older, lined
chimney. We burn wood on the weekends during the weekends here in the
Northeast with a new fireplace insert. Probably a cord a year. I have
had the chimney cleaned every year or so. They never get much out of
it.

I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.

Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?

Thanks
Happy T-Day

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi folks - I checked my chimney yesterday. It is an older, lined
chimney. We burn wood on the weekends during the weekends here in the
Northeast with a new fireplace insert. Probably a cord a year. I have
had the chimney cleaned every year or so. They never get much out of
it.

I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.

Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?

Since the residue is a small one I think you are OK specially since you
have cleaned regularly in the past. You would never expect there to be
no residue at all with a wood burning flue. Just keep cleaning it on a
regular basis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.

Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?

Given the fact that you were looking down, that means you were on the roof.
If you had a brush and rods it would have been done in 15 minutes. You are
probably OK for a while, but why not invest $25 to $50 and do it yourself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I will invest in the equipment. I was really inquiring because I plan
to fire her up today and probably will not get back up there for a
couple weeks. As a matter of fact, I'm firing her up right after this.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.

Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?

Given the fact that you were looking down, that means you were on the roof.
If you had a brush and rods it would have been done in 15 minutes. You are
probably OK for a while, but why not invest $25 to $50 and do it yourself?

Good point. It takes almost as much time to clean
it as it does to get up there and look. And
cleaning the stuff that falls down into the insert
is simple and fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wrote:
Hi folks - I checked my chimney yesterday. It is an older, lined
chimney. We burn wood on the weekends during the weekends here in the
Northeast with a new fireplace insert. Probably a cord a year. I have
had the chimney cleaned every year or so. They never get much out of
it.

I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.

Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?

Thanks
Happy T-Day

If the flue is sound and the creosote layer is truly paper-thin
throughout, try burning a good, hot fire from dry hardwood for a few
hours.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred Wilson wrote:
Not really on this question but what about those things they sell to
through in the fire. I can get them at the farm store down the road.

Are they not worth their money?

Thanks,
Fred

Nope. Waste of money. Good seasoned wood, good burning habits and an
annual cleaning /inspection is the way to go. And your insurance
company would be happy as well.

wrote:
Hi folks - I checked my chimney yesterday. It is an older, lined
chimney. We burn wood on the weekends during the weekends here in the
Northeast with a new fireplace insert. Probably a cord a year. I have
had the chimney cleaned every year or so. They never get much out of
it.

I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.

Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?

Thanks
Happy T-Day

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Not really on this question but what about those things they sell to
through in the fire. I can get them at the farm store down the road.

Are they not worth their money?

Save a trip to the store and just toss some dollar bills into the fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:41:06 -0500, Fred Wilson
wrote:

Not really on this question but what about those things they sell to
through in the fire. I can get them at the farm store down the road.

Are they not worth their money?

Pecos?

--
Oren

What to use instead of creosote AlanC UK diy 6 February 26th 06 11:39 AM
Creosote problem with sleepers Broadback UK diy 2 June 21st 05 10:07 PM
Creosote substitute VivienB UK diy 2 February 27th 05 08:12 PM
using creosote - legal? Brian Reay UK diy 19 October 15th 04 09:56 AM
Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors Michael Home Repair 7 December 20th 03 03:27 PM