Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Chimney Creosote

wrote:
Hi folks - I checked my chimney yesterday. It is an older, lined
chimney. We burn wood on the weekends during the weekends here in the
Northeast with a new fireplace insert. Probably a cord a year. I have
had the chimney cleaned every year or so. They never get much out of
it.

I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.

Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?

Thanks
Happy T-Day

Nope, doesn't need cleaning. (Long time fireplace
and stove operator)