Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Creosote

Hi

What's the laws of using Creosote these days. A bloke at the top of our
street has used it on his new fence. I thought it was banned years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:02:41 +0100, "Slider" wrote:

Hi

What's the laws of using Creosote these days. A bloke at the top of our
street has used it on his new fence. I thought it was banned years ago.

You're 'officially' banned from buying it retail, but there's nothing
to stop you from using it, wherever it came from.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:02:41 +0100, "Slider" wrote:

Hi

What's the laws of using Creosote these days. A bloke at the top of our
street has used it on his new fence. I thought it was banned years ago.

You're 'officially' banned from buying it retail, but there's nothing
to stop you from using it, wherever it came from.

you are not even banned from buying it retail, its just that it only
comes in big drums at e.g. agricultural type suppliers.

The theory being that mom and pop wont buy it and drink it without
heeding the warnings. Or wash their BayBees in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

What's the laws of using Creosote these days. A bloke at the top

of our
street has used it on his new fence. I thought it was banned

years ago.

You're 'officially' banned from buying it retail, but there's

nothing
to stop you from using it, wherever it came from.

you are not even banned from buying it retail, its just that it only
comes in big drums at e.g. agricultural type suppliers.

The theory being that mom and pop wont buy it and drink it without
heeding the warnings. Or wash their BayBees in it.

Wickes sell 'creosote substitute' in light and dark brown - £29.99 for
20 litres - it smells like creosote, looks like creosote but I am not
yet able to judge if it behaves like creosote in the long term having
just sprayed 40 litres on my barn siding.

Genuine creosote is still available from farm supplies lakes like
SCATS - similar drum sizes and price to Wickes.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:
Hi

What's the laws of using Creosote these days. A bloke at the top of
our street has used it on his new fence. I thought it was banned
years ago.

Genuine creosote was removed, but ceosote substitute (it's creosote, just
without one or two of the more harmful chemicals) is still on general sale
and is available almost everywhere....it smells like, looks like and burns
the skin like normal creosote

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Slider wrote:
Hi

What's the laws of using Creosote these days. A bloke at the top of
our street has used it on his new fence. I thought it was banned
years ago.

Genuine creosote was removed, but ceosote substitute (it's creosote, just
without one or two of the more harmful chemicals) is still on general sale
and is available almost everywhere....it smells like, looks like and burns
the skin like normal creosote

Don't forget that when cancer researchers want to induce skin cancers in
animals they do it by putting a drop of creosote on the skin then shining
light on it. Once it's on the fence its reasonably OK but I'd treat it with
very great respect as a liquid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:14:09 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Slider wrote:
Hi

What's the laws of using Creosote these days. A bloke at the top of
our street has used it on his new fence. I thought it was banned
years ago.

Genuine creosote was removed, but ceosote substitute (it's creosote, just
without one or two of the more harmful chemicals) is still on general sale
and is available almost everywhere....it smells like, looks like and burns
the skin like normal creosote

Just that it doesn't preserve wood like 'normal' creosote.

For lots of decades bodies like telephone, electricity and railway
companies have seriously experimented with numerous methods of
preserving poles and wooden sleepers.

Guess what the current 'favourite' is...

--
Frank Erskine

Creosote. :¬) www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] UK diy 17 August 27th 08 08:29 AM
Creosote versus Creosote substitute Vortex2 UK diy 10 July 22nd 08 01:50 PM
Creosote ties SteveB Home Repair 8 June 9th 08 08:48 PM
Creosote in flue Wayne Langille Home Repair 2 February 27th 08 02:54 AM
What to use instead of creosote AlanC UK diy 6 February 26th 06 11:39 AM