Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glass blocks

Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/16 13:17, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

For inspiration, youtube?

search "glass block wall installation"

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 13:17, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

New Age Glass in Chichester, they are not cheap but the work is very
good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 13:17:09 UTC, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

We had those blocks in the toilets in primary school.

I don't see the difficulty as long as you use the right sort of mortar.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/16 13:17, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

AFAICR its a simple job of building a wall with glass bricks, that's all.

I ended up getting some safety glass cut to fit and glazing the wall
instead..

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

Yes, I built a wall light panel with these. I used the plastic strips
available to allow me to seat the blocks on silicone, the strips also
are used between the blocks as spacers. I can't remember the source
after 13 years, but search on line. The strips are about 3ft x 2 in x
1/4 in The blocks sit nicely on the strips, but only use silicone in
the middle to fix the blocks, use acryllic filler to finish off the
joints on the outside. I didn't do this and it was a pig to get the
blocks clean with a golden fleece and a lot of work. Using silicone +
acryllic means any movement is absorbed, so no cracking of blocks or
joints. The plasic strips give the wall rigidity, so no reinforcing is
necessary. If I can do, I'm sure you can!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 13:17, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

DIY. Used the correct mortar and spacers and dont forget the
strengthening bars.

I thought they were a bit out-of-date, like gyproc coving ?.

Being 4 inches thick, you do lose some valuable space and
there is still the problem of how to deflect water at the
bottom and edges.

Might be cheaper to price up a sheet of toughened glass
suitably etched.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
David Lang wrote:
[...]

Just looked up the records, the brand was Speedset, but I have no
record of whom I bought the plastic strips from. Can't trace someone
selling this product at the moment, but newer products of the same type
are around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 13:17:09 UTC, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

They're too see-through for that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Going to be bloody heavy though I'd have thought, hope the floor can stand
it!
Brian

The blocks are hollow, so not as bad as it initially might seem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 13:17:09 UTC, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

You could also use lots of empty jam-jars.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 13:17:09 UTC, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to
act as a shower screen.

You could also use lots of empty jam-jars.

Wine bottles, surely? People who like such walls wouldn't dream of eating
jam. Bad for the health - unlike wine. ;-)

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:49:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

You could also use lots of empty jam-jars.

Wine bottles, surely? People who like such walls wouldn't dream of eating
jam.

Old money would eat it if the label called it a conserve,
New money if is labeled a preserve,
Those who feel they should have money but don't due to wanting to live
in a hip area and paying of their student loans eat jam providing the
label has Artisan made on it.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 13:17, David Lang wrote:
Number one daughter wants a glass block 'wall' in their en suite to act
as a shower screen.

Not something I'd tackle & they are having trouble finding a builder
willing to tackle the job as well.

Anyone had ant experience of building one or know of any companies who do?

They're easy - it's just a big tiling job. The vendors sell the bits you
need - blocks, mortar, metal rods to hold it all together, expansion
strips for the edges, and instructions on what to do.

(though I'll admit I've never done one myself - but a builder here did
one for us with no prior experience and it came out fine).

Google found me a supplier when I wanted to buy the stuff. I used
simplyglassblocks last time, there are probably plenty more.

salvaging glass blocks [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 5th 07 05:02 PM
Drilling glass blocks..HELP spunkster_1964 Home Repair 19 December 21st 05 09:05 AM
Glass Blocks [email protected] UK diy 4 August 11th 05 05:36 PM
Glass Blocks Bodysnatcher UK diy 5 November 1st 04 05:00 PM
Using glass blocks? StealthUK UK diy 2 July 13th 03 11:53 PM