Bodysnatcher

Default Glass Blocks

Hi All.
I am wanting to use these glass block u get from most DIY stores to throw
some light onto a stairway. I am only thinking of maybe using three or four
in a staggered position. The thing is the blocks are only 50mm thick and the
wall is normal breeze block of 100mm . What would be the way to go in doing
this project.
Any suggestions

Bert Coules

I'm fitting out a new kitchen in which the space between the worktops and
the base of the wall units will be tiled, probably with those small tiles
on a mesh background, to make cut-outs for the electrical sockets easier to
arrange.

I'm very tempted to do the tiling *before* the units go in, to minimise the
mess and inconvenience. I can see that it will be straightforward to
arrange the top of the tiled section to be at the right height for the wall
units to rest on, but what should I do with the bottom edge of the tiles?

Should I tile down to the exact height where the worktop surface will come,
and then slide the worktop neatly beneath the tiled edge? Or would it
better to tile down to just below the level of the surface and bed the
worktop up against the face of the tiles?

I can see advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. If anyone has
any experience with this, I'd be grateful for any thoughts or advice.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

John

Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

Forget about ALL you have said and drive it from your mind! DEFINATELY tile
*after* the units are in. It won't work doing it the way you are thinking
of, far too many things to take into account, i.e. is the floor level, so
the bottom row can be set at the *exact* distance for differing floor units
and a worktop, is the wall flat so you don't need to scribe the worktop to
fit back against it can you *guarantee* that the worktop will "slide neatly
beneath the tiled edge"? It's not gonna happen, you will be causing
yourself major heartache and frustration if you go down this route!

HTH

John

Bert Coules

John,

Thanks for the reply.

Forget about ALL you have said and drive it from your mind! DEFINITELY

tile
*after* the units are in. It won't work doing it the way you are thinking
of, far too many things to take into account, i.e. is the floor level, so
the bottom row can be set at the *exact* distance for differing floor

units
and a worktop...

But surely the base units will have adjustable feet, and can therefore be
levelled to a pre-determined line, even if the floor is not exactly level?

...is the wall flat so you don't need to scribe the worktop to
fit back against it...

I take your point, but I don't see the difference between cutting a worktop
to fit against an untiled wall and cutting it to fit against an untiled
wall which happens to have tiles fixed to its top half. Surely, if
anything, the overhanging lip of the tiles + adhesive will help hide any
minor discrepancies where the worktop meets the wall?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Christian McArdle

I take your point, but I don't see the difference between cutting a
worktop
to fit against an untiled wall and cutting it to fit against an untiled
wall which happens to have tiles fixed to its top half.

Because if it is really bad, you can slap on a bit of plaster or adhesive to
fill in the deeper indentations. It's too late when the tiles are in.

Christian.

Bert Coules

Because if it is really bad, you can slap on a bit of plaster or adhesive
fill in the deeper indentations. It's too late when the tiles are in.

That's a fair point. Thanks.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM
Using glass blocks? StealthUK UK diy 2 July 13th 03 11:53 PM