Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default winter heating allowance

In article , Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
On 27/11/2016 08:43, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 08:10:55 UTC, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...
wrote:
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the
rules
for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

What rules?
I think you have to be 60.
Or is it 65?
Mine just appeared.

+1

so....why do they say over 60 then have a date of 5th may 1953 ?????? etc
etc

Retirement age for women - which was 60 but is now a moving feast.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
writes
wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
Hawick ... wrote:
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make
the rules for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

What rules? I think you have to be 60. Or is it 65? Mine just
appeared.

+1

so....why do they say over 60 then have a date of 5th may 1953 ??????
etc etc

Who are the "they" who "say over 60"? That ain't true now. When you
get it is linked to the state pension age for women.

As usual, best to look at the official gov.uk site rather than a
bloke-in-the-pub site.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

still don't understand all the conditions....

you won't get if you are in prison - seems pretty easy to understand

And if more than one qualifying person in the house it is shared between
them.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-27, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...
wrote:

[101 lines snipped]

1 "you a doctor then?...never really bothered...any aches or
pains?" ....what 2 is that from? ....

FFS.

I don't know where it is from either.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-27, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...

wrote:

[101 lines snipped]

1 "you a doctor then?...never really bothered...any aches
or
pains?" ....what 2 is that from? ....

FFS.

I don't know where it is from either.

Tony Hancock the blood donor....tee
hee........................................bloody philistines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 18:18:42 UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 27/11/2016 16:12, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 11:39:03 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 27/11/2016 08:43, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 08:10:55 UTC, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ... wrote:
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the rules
for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

What rules?
I think you have to be 60.
Or is it 65?
Mine just appeared.

No it doesn't.

HMG sent me a letter when I was 60 inviting me to
claim it, and I have just ignored it.

maybe next year when I am 65 it will 'appear'.

Since you are elevating your neighbours electricity
bills, shouldn't *they* be getting your 'winter heating
allowance' ?.

I need the money to put petrol in my Rolls Royce.

Surely your chauffeur does that?

What would be the point of owning an RR and not driving it yourself?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...
writes
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the rules
for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

Looking at the web site, the qualifying date is those born on or before
5 May 1953, although that date changes yearly.

I received a letter offering me the payment last year, for the first
time. I phoned and gave my bank details, and two hundred pounds
appeared in my bank account the following November (2015). Payment for
this year appeared a week ago. I was born August 1952.

My wife does not yet receive payment, although when she qualifies, I
think she will receive one hundred pounds i.e. 200 for single people or
300 for a couple.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:54:00 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message , Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...
writes
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the
rules for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

Looking at the web site, the qualifying date is those born on or before
5 May 1953, although that date changes yearly.

I received a letter offering me the payment last year, for the first
time. I phoned and gave my bank details, and two hundred pounds
appeared in my bank account the following November (2015). Payment for
this year appeared a week ago. I was born August 1952.

My wife does not yet receive payment, although when she qualifies, I
think she will receive one hundred pounds i.e. 200 for single people or
300 for a couple.

If you are both under 80, you'll normally get £100 each.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...
writes
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the rules
for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

Looking at the web site, the qualifying date is those born on or before
5 May 1953, although that date changes yearly.

I received a letter offering me the payment last year, for the first
time. I phoned and gave my bank details, and two hundred pounds
appeared in my bank account the following November (2015). Payment for
this year appeared a week ago. I was born August 1952.

My wife does not yet receive payment, although when she qualifies, I
think she will receive one hundred pounds i.e. 200 for single people or
300 for a couple.

Yes. Although I'm not quite clear why a couple sharing a home need a
higher winter heating allowance than a single person. Do they take more
baths during the winter than the summer?

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

200 for single people or 300 for a couple.

I'm not quite clear why a couple sharing a home need a higher winter
heating allowance than a single person.

I wondered that too, but according to Bob and newshound, it doesn't work
like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2016 14:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

200 for single people or 300 for a couple.

I'm not quite clear why a couple sharing a home need a higher winter
heating allowance than a single person.

I wondered that too, but according to Bob and newshound, it doesn't work
like that.

It sure don't.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

200 for single people or 300 for a couple.

I'm not quite clear why a couple sharing a home need a higher winter
heating allowance than a single person.

I wondered that too, but according to Bob and newshound, it doesn't work
like that.

It sure don't.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

You qualify but live in a care home and dont get one of the benefits
listed* £100 £150

How weird is that?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 14:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

200 for single people or 300 for a couple.

I'm not quite clear why a couple sharing a home need a higher winter
heating allowance than a single person.

I wondered that too, but according to Bob and newshound, it doesn't work
like that.

Perhaps in the future where all of our gas and electricity meters are
remotely read, the winter fuel rebate will only apply to premises where
gas and electricity has been actually burnt on the critical days done
offset local weather conditions. If ya house ain't occupied, ye don't
get the rebate.

Now I've said that, I expect installations of those pesky smart meters
will fall...(good)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

200 for single people or 300 for a couple.

I'm not quite clear why a couple sharing a home need a higher winter
heating allowance than a single person.

I wondered that too, but according to Bob and newshound, it doesn't work
like that.

It sure don't.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

You qualify but live in a care home and dont get one of the benefits
listed* £100 £150

How weird is that?!

IMHO about as weird as a snowflake melting when it falls on the bald bum
of a bonking buffalo.

A person under 80 living in their own home with a person under 80 gets
£100. If over 80 with a person over 80 it's £150 each. So ISTM logical
that if the person is in a care home with (probably many) other people
they get either £100 or £150 if over 80.

Turning then to "one of the benefits listed", people in a care home
getting those income-related benefits usually get some or all of the
cost of the home met by the local authority and that includes heating costs.

If--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Robin wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

You qualify but live in a care home and dont get one of the benefits
listed* £100 £150
How weird is that?!

If two people qualify, live together as partners and both receive
suitable benefits, is it pot luck which one receives it all, and which
receives none?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:05:43 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
[...]

She won't get one. They get £100 each if under 80.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:50:46 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

GB wrote:

Robin wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

You qualify but live in a care home and dont get one of the benefits
listed* £100 £150 How weird is that?!

If two people qualify, live together as partners and both receive
suitable benefits, is it pot luck which one receives it all, and which
receives none?

No, you get separate payments. Half each.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

[...]

Never really understood these 'targeted' benefits. Surely most pay their
energy bills monthly these days? So simply increasing the OAP by the total
cost of the WHA would make more sense.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
[...]

Ah. That makes some sense. If they pay their bills separately. ;-)

-

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Never really understood these 'targeted' benefits. Surely most pay their
energy bills monthly these days? So simply increasing the OAP by the total
cost of the WHA would make more sense.

I think the thinking is that a monthly trickle does not have the same
impact as a lump sum once a year when old people are most likely to
worry about heating costs (in the run up to Christmas).

And FWIW I think that thinking is well-thunk. Bear in mind not all old
people have monthly bills paid by DD. I know some who still write a
cheque once a quarter. And that's despite some having caring family
members who have tried hard to get them to let them do it all online.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 15:08, Robin wrote:

Never really understood these 'targeted' benefits. Surely most pay their
energy bills monthly these days? So simply increasing the OAP by the
total
cost of the WHA would make more sense.

I think the thinking is that a monthly trickle does not have the same
impact as a lump sum once a year when old people are most likely to
worry about heating costs (in the run up to Christmas).

And FWIW I think that thinking is well-thunk. Bear in mind not all old
people have monthly bills paid by DD. I know some who still write a
cheque once a quarter. And that's despite some having caring family
members who have tried hard to get them to let them do it all online.

£200 doesn't cover the £350 I spent on the winter tank of oil...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 14:50, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

Robin wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

You qualify but live in a care home and dont get one of the benefits
listed* £100 £150
How weird is that?!

If two people qualify, live together as partners and both receive
suitable benefits, is it pot luck which one receives it all, and which
receives none?

no. Each receives half.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:

Never really understood these 'targeted' benefits. Surely most pay
their energy bills monthly these days? So simply increasing the OAP by
the total cost of the WHA would make more sense.

I think the thinking is that a monthly trickle does not have the same
impact as a lump sum once a year when old people are most likely to
worry about heating costs (in the run up to Christmas).

Even more of a reason to go to monthly payments, then.

And FWIW I think that thinking is well-thunk. Bear in mind not all old
people have monthly bills paid by DD. I know some who still write a
cheque once a quarter. And that's despite some having caring family
members who have tried hard to get them to let them do it all online.

You are talking to an OAP here. And by quite some margin. ;-) As obviously
are many of my friends.

Things change along the years. OAPs with them.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Robin wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

If two people qualify, live together as partners and both receive
suitable benefits, is it pot luck which one receives it all, and which
receives none?

no. Each receives half.

I wonder what situation the "Nil**" entry in the table refers to then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Graeme
writes
In message , Jimbo in the near of Hawick
... writes
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the rules
for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

Looking at the web site, the qualifying date is those born on or before
5 May 1953, although that date changes yearly.

I received a letter offering me the payment last year, for the first
time. I phoned and gave my bank details, and two hundred pounds
appeared in my bank account the following November (2015). Payment for
this year appeared a week ago. I was born August 1952.

My wife does not yet receive payment, although when she qualifies, I
think she will receive one hundred pounds i.e. 200 for single people or
300 for a couple.

No £200 per pensioner household so you will receive £100 each
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:

Never really understood these 'targeted' benefits. Surely most pay
their energy bills monthly these days? So simply increasing the OAP by
the total cost of the WHA would make more sense.

I think the thinking is that a monthly trickle does not have the same
impact as a lump sum once a year when old people are most likely to
worry about heating costs (in the run up to Christmas).

Even more of a reason to go to monthly payments, then.

And FWIW I think that thinking is well-thunk. Bear in mind not all old
people have monthly bills paid by DD. I know some who still write a
cheque once a quarter. And that's despite some having caring family
members who have tried hard to get them to let them do it all online.

You are talking to an OAP here.

Me too.

And by quite some margin. ;-) As obviously
are many of my friends.

Things change along the years. OAPs with them.

I had in mind people in their late 80s or 90s. Of which there are quite
a few - many of whom still vote.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

[...]

Because it would cost more. It's a good way of getting a nice soundbite
at the minimum cost. Plus of course it costs the same to heat the home
whether it contains one person or two, Don't forget about 30000 people
per year the vast majority elderly, die unnecessarily from cold related
conditions each winter
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Robin wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

If two people qualify, live together as partners and both receive
suitable benefits, is it pot luck which one receives it all, and which
receives none?

no. Each receives half.

I wonder what situation the "Nil**" entry in the table refers to then?

No idea. I am merely recounting the situation before I left my ex-wife.

half each. Now I get £200 and I expect so does she.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 28/11/16 15:08, Robin wrote:

Never really understood these 'targeted' benefits. Surely most pay their
energy bills monthly these days? So simply increasing the OAP by the
total
cost of the WHA would make more sense.

I think the thinking is that a monthly trickle does not have the same
impact as a lump sum once a year when old people are most likely to
worry about heating costs (in the run up to Christmas).

And FWIW I think that thinking is well-thunk. Bear in mind not all old
people have monthly bills paid by DD. I know some who still write a
cheque once a quarter. And that's despite some having caring family
members who have tried hard to get them to let them do it all online.

£200 doesn't cover the £350 I spent on the winter tank of oil...

But it reduced the cost to £150
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
writes
GB wrote:

Robin wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

You qualify but live in a care home and dont get one of the benefits
listed* £100 £150
How weird is that?!

If two people qualify, live together as partners and both receive
suitable benefits, is it pot luck which one receives it all, and which
receives none?

No. They will be treated as independent people. The £200 pot is shared
equally between them.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian Caspersz
writes
Dave Plowman wrote:

Graeme wrote:

200 for single people or 300 for a couple.

I'm not quite clear why a couple sharing a home need a higher winter
heating allowance than a single person.

I wondered that too, but according to Bob and newshound, it doesn't work
like that.

Perhaps in the future where all of our gas and electricity meters are
remotely read, the winter fuel rebate will only apply to premises where
gas and electricity has been actually burnt on the critical days done
offset local weather conditions. If ya house ain't occupied, ye don't
get the rebate.

If your house isn't occupied you will have no qualifying residents.
Now I've said that, I expect installations of those pesky smart meters
will fall...(good)

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
[...]

The state doesn't interfere to that level thank goodness.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Robin wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

If two people qualify, live together as partners and both receive
suitable benefits, is it pot luck which one receives it all, and which
receives none?

no. Each receives half.

I wonder what situation the "Nil**" entry in the table refers to then?

Err... what it says:

"You qualify and live with your partner or civil partner and they get
one of the benefits listed*"

and that's because:

"** Your partner getting the benefit will get the Winter Fuel Payment on
your behalf"

That is, in those circs. it is exceptionally *not* split equally between
the 2 people but all paid to the one.

That leaves the position where both partners qualify and both get one of
the benefits listed. I _think_ that is not addressed directly because
those benefits must be claimed jointly by co-habiting partners.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I wonder what situation the "Nil**" entry in the table refers to then?

Err... what it says:

"You qualify and live with your partner or civil partner and they get
one of the benefits listed*"

and that's because:

"** Your partner getting the benefit will get the Winter Fuel Payment on
your behalf"

That is, in those circs. it is exceptionally *not* split equally between
the 2 people but all paid to the one.

And I was curious how they picked *which* one in that case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 15:31, bert wrote:

If ya house ain't occupied, ye
don't get the rebate.

If your house isn't occupied you will have no qualifying residents.

Owners on holiday...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2016 15:40, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I wonder what situation the "Nil**" entry in the table refers to then?

Err... what it says:

"You qualify and live with your partner or civil partner and they get
one of the benefits listed*"

and that's because:

"** Your partner getting the benefit will get the Winter Fuel Payment on
your behalf"

That is, in those circs. it is exceptionally *not* split equally between
the 2 people but all paid to the one.

And I was curious how they picked *which* one in that case.

IIRC the one who made the (joint) claim for the benefits. (But I could
well be not-C.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2016 10:54, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimbo in the near of Hawick ...
writes
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the
rules
for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...

Looking at the web site, the qualifying date is those born on or before
5 May 1953, although that date changes yearly.

I received a letter offering me the payment last year, for the first
time. I phoned and gave my bank details, and two hundred pounds
appeared in my bank account the following November (2015). Payment for
this year appeared a week ago. I was born August 1952.

My wife does not yet receive payment, although when she qualifies, I
think she will receive one hundred pounds i.e. 200 for single people or
300 for a couple

You think wrong, when she qualifies she will get £100 and you will be
reduced to £100. Don't ask how I know!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian Caspersz
writes
On 28/11/16 15:31, bert wrote:

If ya house ain't occupied, ye
don't get the rebate.

If your house isn't occupied you will have no qualifying residents.

Owners on holiday...

Don't try to be a smart arse.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wish I hadn't asked .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 20:46, bert wrote:
In article , Adrian Caspersz
writes
On 28/11/16 15:31, bert wrote:

If ya house ain't occupied, ye
don't get the rebate.

If your house isn't occupied you will have no qualifying residents.

Owners on holiday...

Don't try to be a smart arse.

??

As far as I know, owners on holidays still get paid the benefit (them
that can afford holidays in winter to second homes abroad).

--
Adrian C